Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BOSCH Oil Filter Update

Bike
    2014 FJR1300A
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: BOSCH Oil Filter Update

Here's a pic of the revised one, and the old one. If the base plate had been "defective" as in flipped over, it would have had an "outie" thread, and it does not appear possible to assemble the filter with the base plate flipped. At the time, no stock was pulled, the old were used up, and many found mixed stock on supplier shelves. Your discovery of a recent new design is good news, especially if they pulled all the old stock..... do you have a pic of the new one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bosch filters.jpg  
    Last edited by RaYzerman; 05-18-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    Ray

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

It would be my guess that during the mfg. process, that either the bases may have been attached before the threads were cut, or, they realized they cut the threads wrong and flipped them over hoping they would work (just a guess). I drove around to 7 different auto parts stores, O'rileys, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. and in the time of one week, the ENTIRE bosch display was taken down, removed from stock, and replaced with all new blue boxes!
    That tells me, they knew that there was a problem, and it was not just a new design issue.
    Anyway, they are back to the style (filter on the right of the picture you posted). Thanks for posting the picture.
    Igofar
    Last edited by Igofar; 05-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Bike
    1999 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Got a bad 3323 at Advance Auto yesterday. Not a blue box in sight.

Also got a couple good Mobil 1's !! M-110A
    1999 ST1100
    1991 ST1100
    1980 Yamaha XS1100

Bike
    ST1100
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I have cut open a lot of filters and most are cheaply made. The Bosch Filters are decent, the Mobil 1 filters are good and the very best filter from the amount and type of media as well as the construction and valve is the Purolator Boss Filter. Though expensive it is clearly the best filter I have seen from a quality of manufacturing standpoint. See link:

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-your...rolatorbosstm/
    "Life is a game of poker,
    Happiness is the pot.
    Fate deals you four cards and a joker,
    And you play whether you like it or not."

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Will have to disagree on that Dave, the picture of the jammed back pressure relief valve was on a factory OEM Honda filter, held in my hand, not taken off the internet.
    Why not show folks what the inside of a Honda filter really looks like?
    I'll wait for you to catch up now
    Why do you act like this? The pics I deleted right after you sent them to me. It's really weird you would even send me unsolicited pictures of filters and then try and bait me into arguing in a public forum about filters I don't even use. Please stop, leave me alone. I don't use the filters you don't like. I've told you 3 times. Clear?

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    Honda CH80

About the purolator Boss: do you happen to have the part number?

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

PBL14610 for the long (3.25") filter. I don't know if there's a short (2.5") version under the Boss brand. Check the Calsci site for info on compatible oil filters.
    Barry

Keeping the blue side up.

Bike
    06 GL1800, ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I am really disappointed we have two respected members of this forum in such a disagreement about oil filters. I feel it's important to run the best your conscience will allow. Ultimately it's your machine and you are responsible for it's longevity after the warranty expires. Personally I haven't heard much about engine failures from filter failure.... there may be plenty... but I not seen them. I would say that there would be plenty of engine failures due to poor maintenance practices of not changing the oil or allowing it to run low from leaks or usage.
    Please, folks, if you prefer a particular brand and it works for you, That's wonderful. I feel it's better to share ideas and information and leave it at that and not elevate it to a battle of knowledge.
    I know both of these guys... and both are very fine people I am proud to call friends! I declare Peace!
    This post has been "unfiltered"!
    I am not young enough to know everything!

You don't have to have the last word to win the argument!

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

@Majortom: thanks a lot for the part number, this is going to be the filter in my next oil change.
    \o/

Re: Oil Filter Update

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    I sent dduelin a couple photos of the BPR valve failure(s) that I have found on several Honda filters, Maybe he'll post them on this thread to show folks But then again, as brand loyal as he is with Honda, maybe he won't
    Why not post them yourself so that we can all have look? Inquiring minds are curious!
    Andrew

+ New Posts
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast