Drip Drop

Hello everyone, today, while looking at my 2013 ST1300 with admiration while thinking what a beauty I have in my stable, I've noticed some black marks on the clutch cover. For the very first time I took the manual and start taking off the plastics so that I can see better what's going on. After taking off the lower cowl (I hope that's how it's called)... I could see this horror :):
cover.jpg

Looking up to see where is this coming from, I was able to see that the connector has a drop of liquid (oily texture). If you zoom in, you can clearly see it.
connector - 1.jpg

My questions for you guys are:
1. Where is that oil coming from, and why is there a drop of oil at the tip of that bolt?
2. Is it something I should be worried about? (the bike is almost brand spanking new, it has only 11000km on the odometer, ~7000mi)
3. What is that connector doing? :)

Thanks in advance!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
That's the crank position sensor. If you remove the bolt it should wiggle out.
There's an o-ring on the sensor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zamolxis
I'll keep an eye on that o-ring to see if it keeps leaking, however what could cause this o-ring to fail sealing? Too much oil?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
The oil appears to be leaking from around the pulse generator (used for time all the electrical signals to engine position).

The o-ring on the pulse generator is likely pinched, cut, or nicked. As Carl says, buy a new one. Honda O-ring part number 91309-PX4-003. $2+S/H online. Or go to your local parts store and buy a 16x2.1 o-ring, compatible with engine oil.

Better to order a replacement o-ring than 'keep an eye on it'. You've done 98% of the work to get the cowling off ... buy the $2 oring and replace it. ;)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You probably already know this but you check the oil level on the center stand after warmed up and let to drain back for iirc 2 minutes, it's in the owners manual somewhere. Overfills typically are from filling it on the side stand. I don't think an over fill would leak there. The o-ring isn't for the bolt but it's on the sensor body. Easy enough to pull the sensor and see what's going on. Just rotate the sensor back and forth a little while pulling it straight out. Since the bike runs the sensor itself is working.

Top Bottom