Disappointed with Suzuki

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I drove to Cool Springs Powersports in Franklin to pick up some brake pads for the Wee, and to check on the status of my replacement stator, under the recall. It's been 9 weeks, and they say it might be June, before they get any new stators. Many riders on the Stromtroopers site have had theirs replaced, but the local dealer says that they haven't gotten any, none, nada, zip. I then asked the service manager for his cell number, so I could call him from Suches, GA, if it went out during the upcoming event, so he could come tow it home. I must have struck a nerve, cause he just turned away, and walked back in the shop.

So, I walked next door to the Honda shop, which is separate building, but same owners, and was greeted by a know-nothing salesman. I told him my problem with the recall on the Wee and said I might trade on another Honda. Then this idiot had the balls to say that he'd give me a good deal on a trade, just as soon as I got the Wee recall fixed!

Didn't take me long to hit the door. I was intending to look at helmets while I was there, but doubt I'll buy anything else there. I'm calling the Suzuki home office tomorrow to complain. Some Wee owners have said that a call, got them a stator shipped to the dealer, immediately. I'll see if it works for me.

Rant Off
John

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks for posting your experience. I know others should also post the good and not so desired service or lack of on the forum. It has been said before, but info on dealers is important so we can all make informed decisions on where we spend our dollars.
Good luck John!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I doubt I'd take my bike back to that dealer for the recall if I had to call the home office. Look for a different dealer to make the fix is my opinion.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've said it before, what we need is a forum listing complaints about service (or lack thereof) for dealers and other vendors. This would go along the lines of Angie's List recommendations or reviews. Preferably organized by geographical area, then list names in that area, followed by the reviews. That way, if we are traveling, and end up near a dog of a dealership, its easy to find.

We have a kudos forum, but other than rarely checking for a specific item, I don't usually look at it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
sounds like a typical dealership experience to me, and funny how it never changes over the years or by geographical location.

Bike
2006 ST1300
This brought back to me a present day incident with Toyota. We had decided to buy a new truck...I have a 2009 Ford F150, 70 k miles or so, and decided it was time to get a new truck, while this one is still in really good shape to sell.

Had done my homework, and decided on a Tundra, so emailed several dealers for a price. ( FYI, the Costo Auto Buying Program was useless...I saved 2500$ over their best price). I found a dealer with a great price, and although I usually sell vehicles outright, we went to the dealer, and they made us a nice offer on the old truck, which we accepted.

We got a call a day later, that they could not sell the truck, it had a "stop sale" due to a recall-something about a bumper reinforcement. That was February 10, 2017, and we STILL don't have a truck. The deal was good enough that I decided to wait, and come to think of it, I am actually putting miles on THEIR truck , while waiting.....

The dealer DID email me last week, with the information that I MIGHT get it by the end of the month.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Then this idiot had the balls to say that he'd give me a good deal on a trade, just as soon as I got the Wee recall fixed!
What dealer that intends to stay in business buys bikes with known problems and pays top dollar for the privilege?

--Mark

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
What dealer that intends to stay in business buys bikes with known problems and pays top dollar for the privilege?

--Mark
It's not a known problem. It's a NTSB safety recall. It's the dealer's responsibility to fix it, and they get paid by Suzuki for the work. Any respectable dealer should be more than willing to trade, and then they would be the ones waiting for the parts to arrive. BMW even did a buy-back, when they had a massive recall and couldn't get parts fast enough. I'd bet good money, that if the bike was in the dealer's used inventory, they could somehow "find" a new stator in less than the 9 weeks that I've been waiting.

John

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
It's not a known problem. It's a NTSB safety recall. It's the dealer's responsibility to fix it, and they get paid by Suzuki for the work.
I thought you meant the Honda dealer you mentioned earlier in the same paragraph. Mea culpa.

--Mark

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I thought you meant the Honda dealer you mentioned earlier in the same paragraph. Mea culpa.

--Mark
The two dealers are really only one business, Cool Springs Powersports. The two business have the same owner, but one building sells Honda and ATV's, while the other sells Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. They also have a common web site. Only a driveway and parking separates the two. They even refer you to the other, depending on the brand of helmet, gloves, that you're looking for. If I traded the Suzuki for a Honda, it would end up next door, at the Suzuki dealer. My biggest gripe is that the turnover of employees always produces a new crop of idiots. The salesman, yesterday, didn't even know what a CTX1300 was. I think that if you buy a new bike, they let you work there for a week, as part of the deal, just so you can say you once worked for Honda. :)

Let's go ride
John

Bike
VStrom 650
John,
You have definitely hit the nail on its large stupid head, idiots, they're everywhere. In your case I think they're all employed at your motorcycle dealer.
What does your village do for an idiot when they all go on their holidays.
Regarding the salesman not knowing what a CTX is, enough said.
Upt'North.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The two dealers are really only one business, Cool Springs Powersports. The two business have the same owner, but one building sells Honda and ATV's, while the other sells Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha.
That makes more sense, then. I could see a separate business not wanting to deal with it, but if it's just a case of pushing the bike across the parking lot, that's just... silly.

--Mark

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
John - I sort of gave up on that dealership a long time ago. I finally had one of their mechanics 'familiar' with working on a ST1100. Then I go in one day and there's a new service manager and all new mechanics. You might check with Sloans in Murfreesboro to see if they can do a better job for you.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I just called Suzuki home office. A friendly young lady said it might be a few more weeks. When I told her that I was looking to trade it for another Honda, for an upcoming trip, she changed her tone. She said she'd call me Monday, and see if they could get me back on the road, sooner. I hate being an old grouch, but if that's what it takes to get something done, so be it. The Honda Africa Twin is too tall, or I would have probably headed to Sloans to look at one. It looked nice in the showroom.

Still in rant mode,
John

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
My *****ing paid off! Just got a call from Debbie at Suzuki in CA. She said the dealer should have MY stator, early next week. I guess that, me telling her that I was ready to get rid of it, moved me to the front of the line. Now, we'll see if the dealer will get me scheduled for the installation.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
What does your village do for an idiot when they all go on their holidays.
Now THAT is funny Upt' North!

As for being an old grouch Nashcat - BE an old grouch - you've earned the right IMO. Besides, simply receiving the service to which you are entitled to repair a defective product for which you have paid - is an absolutely reasonable request. The disappointing thing is that THEY made THEIR problem into YOUR problem and were twits while doing it.

You might consider printing off this entire thread and send it as a printed letter (in an envelope with a stamp) to the owner of Cool Springs Powersports. He/she may be quite out of touch with what is going on and pumping up that awareness may actually achieve something useful for the motorcycle riders who live and around Nashville. Having a bike business in town is always good for riders - but having a crummy one is much less good... I would explain that the folks involved in this thread are all mature, experienced motorcyclists who are committed to the pastime and who spend a fair bit of money on it - but who are also highly knowledgeable and discerning.

I would also point out that we are all - already Honda fans (or we were when we joined the Forum) - but that stories like this do not make it more likely that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki fans in Nashville will use his business.

The reason to use a letter is that relatively few letters are received these days and so when one does come in - it tends to be noticed a lot more than an email.

Cheers,

Pete

BTW - did you ever look at the Suzuki SV650 as a "lighterweight" alternative? I do like the V-Strom engine and general set of features - but I find the "adventure" styling just a little outside of my box and since I will never go off-roading, the SV looks like a good option for commuting when the ST is either down or is just a bit too much in terms of weight etc.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
My *****ing paid off! Just got a call from Debbie at Suzuki in CA. She said the dealer should have MY stator, early next week. I guess that, me telling her that I was ready to get rid of it, moved me to the front of the line. Now, we'll see if the dealer will get me scheduled for the installation.

Ride Safe
John
Your not alone as I have been having a problem with them also. The Yamaha emblems on the saddle bags fell off and this is a common issue with these. I have the YES and they wanted me to ride down there, leave it and will see if they when they can get to it. You can order the parts from Partszilla but the principle is what @)^&@)& me off as I paid for the bike, the warranty and they do not want to do anything about it.
Going to stop by there on the way to Texas and see what the response is in person as e-mailing and calling had not worked. Too far away to just be running down there and leaving the bike for something that would only take a few minutes to fix. Bought two bikes from them but Sloans or someone may get my money in the future. Hate to hear this John and thought this may be an isolated experience with me but evidently not.
As far as being a grouch, you are not, they are just wrong.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Better yet, this is part of a group of dealerships out of Memphis and will get the name of the home office and get back with yall.
Great idea Pete!

Now THAT is funny Upt' North!

As for being an old grouch Nashcat - BE an old grouch - you've earned the right IMO. Besides, simply receiving the service to which you are entitled to repair a defective product for which you have paid - is an absolutely reasonable request. The disappointing thing is that THEY made THEIR problem into YOUR problem and were twits while doing it.

You might consider printing off this entire thread and send it as a printed letter (in an envelope with a stamp) to the owner of Cool Springs Powersports. He/she may be quite out of touch with what is going on and pumping up that awareness may actually achieve something useful for the motorcycle riders who live and around Nashville. Having a bike business in town is always good for riders - but having a crummy one is much less good... I would explain that the folks involved in this thread are all mature, experienced motorcyclists who are committed to the pastime and who spend a fair bit of money on it - but who are also highly knowledgeable and discerning.

I would also point out that we are all - already Honda fans (or we were when we joined the Forum) - but that stories like this do not make it more likely that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki fans in Nashville will use his business.

The reason to use a letter is that relatively few letters are received these days and so when one does come in - it tends to be noticed a lot more than an email.

Cheers,

Pete

BTW - did you ever look at the Suzuki SV650 as a "lighterweight" alternative? I do like the V-Strom engine and general set of features - but I find the "adventure" styling just a little outside of my box and since I will never go off-roading, the SV looks like a good option for commuting when the ST is either down or is just a bit too much in terms of weight etc.

Top Bottom