VFR 750

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been kicking around the idea of a smaller, lighter bike than my 1300 - horsing it around my garage or worse, trying to U turn on a narrow gravel road (with camber) is a stretch. Otherwise I love the bike.

The guys I ride with have told me any other bike is going to be a step backward (in smoothness, power, comfort, etc.), yet one of them said Honda's VFR 750 had a lovely engine and was essentially a smaller ST. (He also said his VFR 800 was buzzy under the seat from the muffler). From the research I've done, the VFR 750's seem to be around 20+ years old,are bulit as well as the ST and they can easily go 200k miles, are relatively inexpensive but seem to emphasize the sport over sport touring.

Any input from guys who know something about this bike? Are aftermarket wndshields available to provide a bit more protection?

Bike
2005 st1300
I had a '93VFR750, for a short while 5 years ago. I have a bad neck and found it hard to crane my neck up to ride. I never looked into risers to get into a more upright position. It was just a little too sport-bike like and a touch small for me to enjoy. I am 6'3" and 250lbs. The engine was smooth and torquey, but not nearly as powerful as an ST 1300. and not near as smooth. The carbs in the "V" were a bear to work on. The fuel injection of the ST is a real plus. I really wanted to like it as I fell in love with the very first 750 interceptor that Honda ever made back in '83 and still think it is one of the nicest looking bikes ever made. I never looked into windshields so I cant help you there. In short, if I were smaller, I would still own it. Sounds like my experience falls in line with what youve been told already. Hope this helps you.
VFR 750-1-2.jpg

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Nice bikes, but definitely a sport bike. Ridden a few, but never fell in love with them, except maybe that red white and blue special edition, what year was that?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Along with my ST1100, I also own a 99 VFR800. The 98-01 VFR's are the last of the gear-drive models, no VTEC and no underseat pipes (these arrived in 02), and FI.

Easy enough to find Helibars and higher screens, and lower pegs if that is what you want. I love my VFR just as is, although I do have modified brakes and suspension, but it is not a patch on the comfort of an ST. On the flipside if you want a civilised sports bike with a smooth revvy engine and a sensible ride position, plus Honda build quality, look no further.

IMG_3187.jpg

Bike
VStrom 650
Have you thought of a Honda CBF600/1000. They're essentially the same bike but with one having the extra 400 cc.
I don't know if you got them over there but the 1000 is an incredible machine, will easily tour two up and if you can find one with the Honda 3 piece luggage it'll carry as much as your Pan. As I said I don't know if you got them, I think Canada did.
What it would give you is ABS TCS CBS etc which I presume is one reason you had your Pan. I would try one of I was you, they're cheap too.
Upt'North.

Bike
07 ST1300
This was my VFR800 from 1999 or 98..I sold it to buy the ST. My girl was not comfortable enough on the back seat. Legs were cramped. I completely loved this bike!

Bike
Vstrom 650
My year 2000 Vfr800, great bike but I wouldn't fancy doing any long days in the saddle,spoiled by the comfort of the vstrom and the ST.

Attachments

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
... one of them said Honda's VFR 750 had a lovely engine and was essentially a smaller ST. (He also said his VFR 800 was buzzy under the seat from the muffler). From the research I've done, the VFR 750's seem to be around 20+ years old,are bulit as well as the ST and they can easily go 200k miles, are relatively inexpensive but seem to emphasize the sport over sport touring.

Any input from guys who know something about this bike? Are aftermarket wndshields available to provide a bit more protection?

I've owned VFR 750's ('93) & 800's ('99 and '00) plus ST11's & an ST13 so I feel qualified to comment on all of them.

I wouldn't refer to the VFR as a small ST(11/13). Though comfortable for a bike of its type, it's not in the same league as the ST11/13. I would call it a good short to medium distance sport touring bike.

I've traveled all over Texas on VFR's. Even did a one day, 700 mile round trip for a RTE in Arkansas. The difference is that the ST has far more weather protection and a smoother ride. Also, with the VFR, it helps to have a relatively young body.

As to the VFR generations, the '93 750 fourth gen I had was a great looking bike but its front end would dive when stopping and it didn't have linked brakes. The '99 & '00 fifth gen 800's were much better in the braking and handling department. They had fuel injection and linked brakes. Those fifth gen brakes were very strong!

Buzzing. My '99 & '00 800's were no more buzzy than the '93 750. The under-seat buzz that your friend refers to must have been coming from a 7th gen 800 ('02 to '09) which had underseat mufflers.

In 2010, the 6th gen VFR 800 went away and 7th gen VFR1200 entered the scene in the US. It was a poor seller primarily due its high price but from the comments I've read and heard from owners, it was a fantastic bike. I would love to have had one had my aging body been able to tolerate it.

So, which one? I would I recommend? I've had folks tell me that there are still unsold VFR 1200's in crates out there but for the money, I'd go for the fifth gen, '00 or '01 (some significant changes made in '00). The fifth gen's engine with its gear driven cams has a very distinct sound that no other bike has (I loved it), plus, they were much easier to work on than the 6th gen VTEC engine when it came time to check and/or adjust the valves.

Here's a pic of my '00. It was hands down my favorite bike of all time:

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
There are other bikes out there that might fit your desire for a lighter "ST" such as the Suzuki GSX1250SA (aka Bandit), Kawasaki Versys 1000 or 650 LT, and the Suzuki VStrom. There are probably others out there as well.

If you want a bike with torque comparable to the ST (actually better), go for the Bandit touring version (GSX1250FA). I had a 2009 Bandit just before I bought the ST1300. On the ride home with the ST, I was thinking to myself, "Where the heck is all this torque everyone talked about with the ST13?". The Bandit's torque is something to behold.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
In a nutshell, Honda VFRs are some of the best all around street bikes ever.
Mine was a 2002 ABS model that I had for 12 years. With a Corbin seat is was very comfortable for my 5'9" frame. I did two track days on it, toured on it, camped, you name it. I loved everything about the bike except the chain driven VTEC valve train, and learned to live with that. I liked the engine in my buddy's 2000 VFR 800 better, with those gear driven cams. Look at the 2004 and latter models as the early VTEC bikes had electrical problems due to inadequate wiring harnesses.
Many people like the first FI models '98-'01, better, but they did not have ABS. They are also plagued by RR failures due to heat. Both bikes are heavy for sport bikes, but they are really SPORT tourers.
The best carb VFRs , according to input from the forums, were the '97 750 models. I always thought they were kinda ugly with the Testarossa rip off looking body, but my friend who owned a BMW bike dealership loved his.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Many people like the first FI models '98-'01, better, but they did not have ABS. They are also plagued by RR failures due to heat.
In 2000, the R/R design was changed which greatly diminished this problem. That's why I suggested looking at the '00 & '01 models.

I found this 99 vfr on Craigslist any idea of what it would cost to fix the damage? It’s interesting because the tail section has been updated to the under seat exhaust. Air box has been modified which I’m not crazy about. It has 29k, what would be a good price?

Attachments

I found this 99 vfr on Craigslist any idea of what it would cost to fix the damage? It’s interesting because the tail section has been updated to the under seat exhaust. Air box has been modified which I’m not crazy about. It has 29k, what would be a good price?
Yeah, it seems like rear subframe(maybe) has been tweaked to have underseat exhaust? Maybe I am biased, but 98-99 is a sweet 5th Gen VFR(but 4th Gen is my favorite). Price depends on the area and overall cosmetic and mechanical condition. On average I would think, anything at or below $2000 is a fair price. YMMV

Last edited:
Another 99 was posted on Craigslist today with 34,000 miles, it has some scuffs too. They want $2150 for it and $2000 for the other one. There is a 2014 for $5500 with less than 5000 miles.

Another 99 was posted on Craigslist today with 34,000 miles, it has some scuffs too. They want $2150 for it and $2000 for the other one. There is a 2014 for $5500 with less than 5000 miles.
I am a HUGE VFR fan, not to offend any other fans — but VFR's aren't a HOT ticket in the used market, unless they are being sold for a smoking deal or a classic.

So, if you are looking for one, disregard mileage with proper maintenance history. Keep your eyes open and try to look for a 'stock' one or with some tasteful mods(Like seat, luggage, helibars, R/R upgrade, Voltmeter, to name a few...) and clean plastics. Usually if it has been out there in the used market for a bit, one can get a good deal and every color is fast ;)

Good luck and I would be keen to see a picture of it :D

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
I am a HUGE VFR fan, not to offend any other fans — but VFR's aren't a HOT ticket in the used market, unless they are being sold for a smoking deal or a classic.

So, if you are looking for one, disregard mileage with proper maintenance history. Keep your eyes open and try to look for a 'stock' one or with some tasteful mods(Like seat, luggage, helibars, R/R upgrade, Voltmeter, to name a few...) and clean plastics. Usually if it has been out there in the used market for a bit, one can get a

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
IMG_0996.JPGThis my 1992 VFR, I did a few mods. ST1100 bags, ST1100 windshield, 4 inch risers with helibars. Corbin seat, lowered ST1100 pegs, LED driving lights, audiovox cruise, GPS based chain oiler and 80/20 tires.

I ride a 1997 ST 1100 and a GL1800, it is a great joy to get on this little bike. So much lighter, so much faster, so responsive. Get yourself one!

Attachments

@STing , do you still have the 3rd Gen VFR? Mind asking, how long it took you to do all of these ST11 mods(and cost)? That's one HELL of a bike :D

That 8 spoke wheel is JUST impressive!!!

The plastics on the older bikes I have seen so far are pretty rough, I don’t want to spend a lot on a paint job and replacement parts are getting harder to come by. This is a picture of the bike posted today, it looks pretty solid mechanically but has lots of scuffs. I like the fact it’s somewhat of a buyers market. I found a nice 98 model but they want $4000.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom