Dropped the brand new bike

Bike
St1300
Me an the wife took the brand new bike out for a spin.... Less than 100 miles on the bike. Pulled in to a parking lot. An while turning around in a space, She jumped right out from under us. Left us sitting in a parking space starring at my brand new bike sitting on it's side. Very low speed so no one was injured, Other than my pride. Small scratch on the engine guard. But since my MCL pegs are on the way I count this as a blessing nothing else was damaged. Was actually kinda impressed at how fast the bike shut it's self off.... After reading many of these posts. I just wanted to show others how to pick up their bike. So they dont need to let others know they dropped it lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og

st1300doug

DUDE......you lost out on $20. How? Cause I will PAY anyone that amount if you "by yourself" can pick up a ST1300 THIS way; fully gassed. Never has been seen. Especially on VIDEO!!!

Bike
VStrom 650
You can't expect them to last forever. LOL.
Like you say you are ok and got off light. Now just behave yourself now.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
DUDE......you lost out on $20. How? Cause I will PAY anyone that amount if you "by yourself" can pick up a ST1300 THIS way; fully gassed. Never has been seen. Especially on VIDEO!!!
Doug, I don't have it on video, since there was no one around when I had to pick up my fully gassed dropped ST in my driveway several years ago, the only time that I have done so unassisted. It fell onto its right side, so I put the side stand down first, then picked it up using my knees/legs exactly like the lady in the video. If you believe me without any supporting photo or video evidence, just pm me and I can send you my mailing address where you can send my $20 check or money order.

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Doug, I don't have it on video, since there was no one around when I had to pick up my fully gassed dropped ST in my driveway several years ago, the only time that I have done so unassisted. It fell onto its right side, so I put the side stand down first, then picked it up using my knees/legs exactly like the lady in the video. If you believe me without any supporting photo or video evidence, just pm me and I can send you my mailing address where you can send my $20 check or money order.
Ya I'll take my check too......:). backwards with butt helping to lift makes it much easier...

ToddC

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Todd, I think we may be out of luck without any hard proof what we did. Actually, I think that's the ONLY way to pick up a ST without assistance if it's on its side.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Making a video, go ahead and send me the 20. I have done this two times. Once when I dropped it and once after the Goldwing bar went on to see how much clearance there is. Letting the ST down slow the last time was easy. It is still a lot of bike for one person. When you drop a bike and in the heat of that moment and you try to pick it up, it really seems twice as hard.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I picked up my bike the HARD way before. Then I saw a video of the correct way like the one posted. How my nuts sure wish I saw the video first!!!

st1300doug

No video......NO $$$$ Moocho. I've had this offer standing for 3 years. No one has shown footage. NOT even on YouTube. Sorry......

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not exactly true. I got mine up myself. Don't remember how I did it, but it was shortly after I bought the bike, in my driveway. First time I dropped it and I was MORTIFIED. Thought the bike would leak gas and burn up or something. Adrenalin fueled, I guess. But one time only.

Todd, I think we may be out of luck without any hard proof what we did. Actually, I think that's the ONLY way to pick up a ST without assistance if it's on its side.
Not true. I once parked my bike behind our Accord in the garage, ready for an early morning getaway. Got on the bike the next morning, and lost it, she toppled over toward the car, as I was 'walking' it out of the garage. Couldn't budge it myself. Backed our Highlander up opposite the bike, hooked my come-along to the hitch on the car and the Bygdawg tip over bar on the 'up' side of the bike, and slowly ratcheted her up. Oh yeah, I engaged the Tony Worral parking brake. Easy as pie...... Does a come-along qualify as 'assistance'? Mine said nothing to me - not even a smile. Btw, my wife watched - so I have a witness....

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Go to a Police Motors Competition the day before, its practice day and they're dropping like flies in the morning and the MO's are picking them up by themselves. PD crash bars on the ST may help a little though.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ToddC said:
makes it much easier...
LOL 'much' is relative. I had to pick mine up and it wasn't easy. Given the higher center of gravity I'm not sure a 12yo could pick this beast up. I was able to but for me at least it was far from easy. At least it was possible but only because I had seen the GW video. Best of all the only 'damage' was the slightest scuff on the underside of the TOB cover.

Bike
ST1300 2012
They can be picked up! The "late" 2005 was dropped twice, both times on the right side. The first time was in the driveway and with all the adrenaline hitting me I just leaned over and picked it up! The only witness was a squirrel on the front lawn. Of course, 3 days later I was in surgery having the hernia repaired ..... The second time was a year later at a Stop sign on a side road. Dropped the side stand, put my butt against the seat and "bang" it seemed to be back upright almost instantly. Young lady motorist (about 5 foot nothing and well under the 100 pound mark) saw me go down, made sure I was alive, but didn't stick around for the re-mount.

Ah, the joys of riding a beast that likes to nap at unexpected times!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
All of these horror stories of dropping bikes! I just don't understand! :nanana1:

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
Lets see! I have 3 tip overs with the ST and picked it up all 3 times.
Like the others have said, it's not that hard to do. Just need to learn the technique.
Oh yeah! I could reenact the 3 drops, video it, 3x20=60!! How about it???

Top Bottom