Dropped the brand new bike

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
All of these horror stories of dropping bikes! I just don't understand! :nanana1:
I think it helps that we are both well over 6 ' tall Bob.......Just glad I can flat foot on the tallest seat setting......:bow1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Not true. I once parked my bike behind our Accord in the garage, ready for an early morning getaway. Got on the bike the next morning, and lost it, she toppled over toward the car, as I was 'walking' it out of the garage. Couldn't budge it myself. Backed our Highlander up opposite the bike, hooked my come-along to the hitch on the car and the Bygdawg tip over bar on the 'up' side of the bike, and slowly ratcheted her up. Oh yeah, I engaged the Tony Worral parking brake. Easy as pie...... Does a come-along qualify as 'assistance'? Mine said nothing to me - not even a smile. Btw, my wife watched - so I have a witness....
"Does a come-along qualify as 'assistance'?"
Short answer: YES

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Yep, it's good to get the first drop out of the way. We haven't dropped our 1300's "yet". But our 1100's took several topples. We had a Goldwing at one time. They are very easy to walk up because of the crash bars. The 1100's were awful! Two times they were dropped in mud. The handle bars stuck in the mud like a fence post. There is no walking an ST up when it is flat on it's side! And it is a monster to try and dead-lift. This was many moons ago. I don't think I could begin to do it now without a trip to the hospital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think it helps that we are both well over 6 ' tall Bob.......Just glad I can flat foot on the tallest seat setting......:bow1:
I really think that's the key. But flat footing it isn't always the case when you have an RDL to sit on. ;)

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
At 5' 11" I could not flat foot the ST until I had the gel seat modification. Even then that thing is top heavy. Once it decides to go over there isn't much to do in the way of stopping it.

My worst drop was at the booth crossing over from Mexico. There was a large puddle of oil on the ground under my right foot. To cross you must pull a little farther forward than automobiles so they can see your plate on the cameras clearly. I pulled up looking over my left shoulder until the officer motioned that I was in the correct spot. Then I put my right foot down, slipped in the oil puddle and down it went.

I was loaded up also.

I got the bike back up without assistance from the officer. He asked if I needed medical help, I said that wouldn't heal my pride and once he checked my passport I was on my way. What makes this so embarrassing is that motorcyclists do not wait in line to cross the border. There is a way to get to the front within minutes without sitting there for two hours like everyone else. So you make your way to the front of the lines, and then jump into the next lane that opens. You frustrate the drivers as you just cut in front of a hundred plus cars so I already felt under the scope is it were.

But, if that had not happened I wouldn't have this fun tale to share with you .... so it's all good now.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
At 5' 11" I could not flat foot the ST until I had the gel seat modification. Even then that thing is top heavy. Once it decides to go over there isn't much to do in the way of stopping it.

My worst drop was at the booth crossing over from Mexico. There was a large puddle of oil on the ground under my right foot. To cross you must pull a little farther forward than automobiles so they can see your plate on the cameras clearly. I pulled up looking over my left shoulder until the officer motioned that I was in the correct spot. Then I put my right foot down, slipped in the oil puddle and down it went.

I was loaded up also.

I got the bike back up without assistance from the officer. He asked if I needed medical help, I said that wouldn't heal my pride and once he checked my passport I was on my way. What makes this so embarrassing is that motorcyclists do not wait in line to cross the border. There is a way to get to the front within minutes without sitting there for two hours like everyone else. So you make your way to the front of the lines, and then jump into the next lane that opens. You frustrate the drivers as you just cut in front of a hundred plus cars so I already felt under the scope is it were.

But, if that had not happened I wouldn't have this fun tale to share with you .... so it's all good now.
A foot planted in oil is not going to keep a bike up, I don't care who you are....

Mark! Glad to see you here again! :hat3:

I also see you're in Wildomar! That's only a few miles from me, maybe we can get together at some point!

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
A foot planted in oil is not going to keep a bike up, I don't care who you are....

Mark! Glad to see you here again! :hat3:

I also see you're in Wildomar! That's only a few miles from me, maybe we can get together at some point!
YES !!! Let's make that happen. I had a short semester so I'm available. Just pop me a PM here.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Been there and done that and it sucks. Dropped the ST I had and had a spill in a parking lot on the Nathchez Trace on the FJR fully loaded which scraped her up a tad and make me sick to this day. Glad you are ok!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
AGAIN........NO VIDEO. Mmmmm..........?
[video=youtube;CCtHV1s8jAI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCtHV1s8jAI[/video]

[video=youtube;HM1bTO_Cgoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM1bTO_Cgoc[/video]

[video=youtube;STZ5D6zAPXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZ5D6zAPXE[/video]

[video=youtube;oyPmRQwootE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPmRQwootE[/video]

st1300doug

Good try Joe. A "ST1300" That's what I wanna see......a 1300! There is a difference.....

st1300doug

Yup. But was it full! Since this did not occur close to a pump, that could be the "escape clause" under the terms of the wager - maybe that's why nobody has ever collected yet! :rofl1:
Yep....7.5 gal X 6lbs. a gal.....equals quite a bit of TOP weight. I still do NOT see the 1300 Video. Mmmm....where am I missing it?

st1300doug

Oh the silver one? Bags looked like skinny ST1100's? If you say so.....mmmmm?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
46.2 extra pounds does not make that much difference. The bike weighs 730 lbs full wet. I can still leg press 400 lbs and my son (28 years old) can leg press 650 lbs. As long as the weight is between your hips and your feet it can be done. Your hands are to keep your butt in the seat. I had to push it up in my own driveway when I thought that I put down the kickstand but didn't....

Go to a local gym and find a leg press machine and find out what you are able to do.....

Bike
03 st 1300
My 1300 fell over twice in two weeks. Once in gravel and once on my asphalt driveway. Both on shifter side.
bought half a tank. Got them both up but man it took every ounce of strength. That last few inches to upright
was the heaviest lift in my life. My right knee has been totally screwed up for three weeks now. It's finally getting better.
i think the shorter your legs and total body height the easier it is. I'm not tall 5'11. But legs are kinda long.
i don't wish that lift on anybody. If she didn't have those side guards keeping it at 40 degrees I know I would never been able to do it.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My 1300 fell over twice in two weeks. Once in gravel and once on my asphalt driveway. Both on shifter side.
bought half a tank. Got them both up but man it took every ounce of strength. That last few inches to upright
was the heaviest lift in my life. My right knee has been totally screwed up for three weeks now. It's finally getting better.
i think the shorter your legs and total body height the easier it is. I'm not tall 5'11. But legs are kinda long.
i don't wish that lift on anybody. If she didn't have those side guards keeping it at 40 degrees I know I would never been able to do it.
I hear you!
I dropped my Tiger twice in two weeks. At the same spot no less.
First time we were two-up, coming to a stop to make a right turn, pavement slopes down and away to the right. Left foot down and lost my balance. Jabbed my right foot down except the pavement was an inch or two too low for me to have enough leverage. Down we went. No injuries thank goodness.

Tonight I dropped her at the same corner, solo this time.
Stopped and swung the stand out so I could pick up the piece of foot peg that came off from the first drop.
Too much slope or the stand wasn't fully deployed. Down she went.
Thankful for the two gents that stopped; one on a bike, one driving.
So have matching scratches on both panniers and the crash bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom