Starter valve synchronizaion

Bike
2007 ST1300
I currently have 117K miles on my ST1300 and have never checked the starter valve synchronization on the valve body.

Is this something that should have been done a long time ago?
I have never had any noticeable trouble with idling or anything that the adjustment of the idle screw would not fix.

What are some of the symptoms of this needing adjusted?

I see online that it is a fairly simple task as long as you have the right tools ( vacuum gauge, tachometer, etc..)

Any suggestions ?
Should I just keep riding as is or do I need to look into this?

Thanks in advance.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Surely wouldn't hurt next time you are under the hood.
Mine idled fine before, but the balance was off a bit and after adjusting it idled better :c)

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
If we ever have a RTS around here(ride to sync) I'm going. Mine definitely needs it. That being said, I'm looking for a good deal on gauges anyway, and if I find some, I see a weekend meet, great,eat and sync at my place. Plenty of room to pitch tents, bonfire pit, couple of grills, and my mini beer cave(converted old fashioned glass top ice cream freezer) May even have the pool ready.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I have a Carbtune II that I loan out to anyone willing to cover the postage both ways. Drop me a PM and it's yours.

--Mark
You are in VA, you have a carbtune, I'll come to you....you probably know how to do it, I want to learn. Done carbs before, never FI.:)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Done carbs before, never FI.:)
FI's no different. You plug the PAIR valves, attach the gauges to the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies, force a MAP sensor error and adjust cylinders 2, 3 and 4 to match cylinder 1. (Cylinder 1 isn't adjustable.) Undo everything, clear the codes from the ECM, set the idle speed, go ride.

The Carbtune is currently in Washington state; I can have the person who has it send it directly to you next if you want it. Two reasons you might want to do it that way instead of riding five hours one way up Interstate 95 to get here: 1. The job is a lot more pleasant on an engine that isn't dumping heat into the area where you're trying to work. 2. If something goes wrong removing the air box, you're stranded at home instead of out of town.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did a TB synch at ~106,000 miles. I had one cylinder that was fairly off from the others IIRC and after setting all as close to #1 I didn't really notice any change one way or the other. It idled good before and it idled good after. The starter valves only affect operation at idle and the starter valve adjustment is graduated in minute step-like serrations and is not infinitely adjustable like a vernier or screw adjustment. The result is that you can get them close but not evenly level. I did it then because I had the airbox off for other maintenance but it's not been needed again since (63,000 more miles). Unless I have a noticeable flat spot off idle or idle problems develop in the future I wouldn't say I'd do it again.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have found that the rubber hoses age and get hard being in that hot area, and replacing the lines every couple years, cleaning out the 5 way tee, and doing a sync will often improve the performance as well as the MPG of the bike.
Besides, its another excuse to throw wrenches at the bike.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I had an "idle" component go bad on the wing... In fact it was the "Idle Air Control Valve". Went from having nearly 40 mpg to 21 mpg. Different animal for sure.... but because something effects idle, it could possibly effect overall performance. Idle orifices may be figured in with the total performance of "Throttle bodies". One may not realize much difference if there was only a minute difference in the balance or sync. For someone's who's system was way out, it does make a difference because I've experienced it on other's ST1300s.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I did a TB synch at ~106,000 miles. I had one cylinder that was fairly off from the others IIRC and after setting all as close to #1 I didn't really notice any change one way or the other. It idled good before and it idled good after. The starter valves only affect operation at idle and the starter valve adjustment is graduated in minute step-like serrations and is not infinitely adjustable like a vernier or screw adjustment. The result is that you can get them close but not evenly level. I did it then because I had the airbox off for other maintenance but it's not been needed again since (63,000 more miles). Unless I have a noticeable flat spot off idle or idle problems develop in the future I wouldn't say I'd do it again.
I just added a 2016 FJR1300 ES to the collection and the Yamaha book says this needs to be done every 4K miles . never letting go of the ST

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the vehicle exhibits some sort of problem or issue or I was under the airbox for something else I'd check it.................otherwise tune-ups disappeared with points and carburetors.

Except for "Italian tune-ups" that is. One of those now and then is just the thing.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Perhaps....but some of us hang on to the past....and every tune up I have assisted with, increased gas mileage, and overall performance, and the folks seem pretty happy afterward :rofl1:

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Since picking the '06 up last weekend, I've been tinkering and checking stuff. Idle was way up near 1600 rpms when I got it. I ran some Techron thru it on the way home and another tank load during the first of the week. Idle got adjusted back down to 1000 and it ran better just off idle. Yesterday, it got the high speed, blow out the carbon test to $1.20. :eek:illeak1: It exposed two things: preload was well off on the rear shock and the engine was filthy inside. I reset the idle again when I got home and set preload for my weight and riding style.

Bike
07 ST1300
I would suggest to anyone contemplating a throttle body sync to order up a new 5 way T and some new vacuum hose. This way IF you break the cheap plastic 5 way you wont be waiting for the new one to arrive. Also with the new vacuum hose you can relocate the T or set it up like a "daddy long legs", so that no goo settles in the low spots and clogs up the works.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would suggest to anyone contemplating a throttle body sync to order up a new 5 way T and some new vacuum hose. This way IF you break the cheap plastic 5 way you wont be waiting for the new one to arrive. Also with the new vacuum hose you can relocate the T or set it up like a "daddy long legs", so that no goo settles in the low spots and clogs up the works.
That's a good idea, wish I would of thought of that :rofl1:

Top Bottom