2006 st cutting out any answers?

Have a 2006 st1300, bike wants to cut out while riding, does not do it all the time.
pull off and dies, let sit runs fine for couple minutes and does it again. any answers stealthrider06

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Put a good dose of SeaFoam in it...

That would be my 1st thing.

Is this the 1st ride of the season... check for mice/bites under the airbox
check plugs for fouling

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Could be a lot of things. Does the instrument panel go out (indicating an electrical failure?) Does the clock reset? Or does the engine simply die from idle? Or die while revs are up? Give us armchair detectives more to work on, specifics, please.

OP
OP
Thank you for responding, no idea were to start, happened twice last year, and yesterday.
not losing any power to dash, she is running good, then cuts out,runs like in hitting the rev limiter, stalls, turn off bike let it sit and it clears up. yesterday it did not.
don't know if it's ignition or fuel pump, maybe relay, or sensor. so far cleaned battery connections / loose connections, cleaned out kill switch, and other
switches on handle bars. stealtherrider06

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like you may have a failing fuel pump.

Thank you for responding, no idea were to start, happened twice last year, and yesterday.
not losing any power to dash, she is running good, then cuts out,runs like in hitting the rev limiter, stalls, turn off bike let it sit and it clears up. yesterday it did not.
don't know if it's ignition or fuel pump, maybe relay, or sensor. so far cleaned battery connections / loose connections, cleaned out kill switch, and other
switches on handle bars. stealtherrider06

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
The fuel pump power connector is properly seated, correct?
it only does it when the bike has been running long enough to heat-soak the fuel, correct?
If yes to both, then the symptoms are classic fuel pump signs of fuel pump failure.

Ways to potentially confirm fuel pump:
>>When it is cutting out, fill it with fresg gas (which is cold from being in underground storage)
>>Or, let it sit for long enough (30+min?) that the engine and fuel cools down quite a bit.

If the cutting out then doesn't resume until the fuel is warmed back up ... the fuel pump likely needs replaced.

This has happened to many of us. ;)

OP
OP
thank you so much for the input, went through all basic switches cleaned, and kit stand, battery connections.
bike has developed a sputter on right side think 2 or 4 cylinder. hold throttle around 1500 rpm range. and fluctuates and 100 rpm.
is there a way to test fuel pump? fuel cut off relay ?... stealther rider06

Bike
'93 ST1100
Sorry to be so late on this- did you find the problem? I had a similar issue on my '93 ST, it turned out the be the vacuum controlled fuel shut off valve. I removed it, problem gone.

Joe

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Sorry to be so late on this- did you find the problem? I had a similar issue on my '93 ST, it turned out the be the vacuum controlled fuel shut off valve. I removed it, problem gone.

Joe
The 1300's don't have the vacuum controlled shut off.

Sent using Tapatalk

Have a 2006 st1300, bike wants to cut out while riding, does not do it all the time.
pull off and dies, let sit runs fine for couple minutes and does it again. any answers stealthrider06
Have you found answer, yet?
Could be...
Fuel starvation due to;

tank vent plugged, pulling vacuum in fuel tank. To test, ride until bike dies, pull off, as quickly as possible open fuel cap. Listen for sucking as cap removed. Or;

Restricted fuel feed line to carbs (not likely) or;

Restricted fuel line to pump (plugged or collapsed/pinched) fair possibility. Or;

Failing fuel pump. Or;

Failing spark pack/wires/plugs (moderate possibility)

I had a CB500-4 that would run at 50-55mph, but cut off (like switching off ignition) at 60-65. The connection where the main feed to the fuse block had a bad solder joint. The combined total electrical load was handled until the added energy for high-Rev ignition was added. The solder joint would heat up, expand, disconnect, cut off current flow, kill engine, cool down, re connect, engine would run, and repeat, until I slowed down, reducing the electrical load.

Not likely you have that, but try to think outside the box, if the usual suspects don't fix it.

Cheers[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom