Tip of the hat to freeride2247

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
I bought his baby today! He made the transaction simple and straightforward. I flew in from Michigan to Louisiana, got up real early today and made the deal. Its got almost 800 more miles on the clock now and I'm still not home. Thanks, Gary!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I must say - a fly and ride sure sounds like an absolute blast! All the "fun" of flying (hopefully without a "re-accomodation" by the friendly skies airline) followed by meeting a fellow ST-er and then getting a nice relaxing ride home on your new toy.

Congratulations!

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Love doing fly and rides. I did an 1800 mile to get my ST. Congrats

OP
OP
sleazy rider
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Story to come. Still rolling. Im at the Indiana/Illinois border. Get your popcorn ready. Its a thriller.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Excellent! I will wait with baited breath for the story. Perhaps we should gather at Igofar's place for the saga as he has a popcorn maker and a fridge of cool ones...

OP
OP
sleazy rider
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Ok, here we go! Picked up the bike at 6am yesterday. We fiddled in the PO's garage for a bit putting stuff in the bags and mounting the Zumo 390. I paid him, got the title and headed off with 2/3 of a tank of gas onboard. North out of Lafayette, LA to I-10 towards the Big Easy. Merged into 12, left onto I-55 north and settled in to finish the old gas off.

First gas stop also included breakfast.

Back on the bike, continuing north with the vague idea of stopping when gas was needed and sitting for at least 12 hours on the bike. Repeat gas stops followed by sitting and twisting. Lots of twisting. The Sargent seat on this bike sucks. Even so, I made it as far north as Mount Vernon, IL with only a couple somewhat close calls with death.

But first, some pictures...

An ST1300 in its native habitat

The plate shot

Not too many pictures when ya do the slab....

So, after getting onto I-57 northbound, I had the first close encounter with super stupid.

"Very shortly after leaving the last rest stop, i crossed into Illinois. I'm following a nice Buick at a reasonable(sane) pace and distance. All of a sudden this little white ****box goes flying past and tries to merge with the Buick's fender. She runs him off the road, into the water filled ditch and he rolls the car. Hard impact. I'm busy dodging big chunks of mud in the bike, but get it stopped quick. Pulled onto the shoulder, started running back to check on the occupants. Just then a local cop comes screaming up and goes to the other car's driver. He told her NOT to leave and came to join me as the solo occupant comes crawling out pretty much unscathed. A couple nicks and muddy as hell, but very much alive. Way better outcome than i expected. After we get the kid situated, cop goes and stuffs the ***** that caused it in his back seat. After it settles down, cop gets my info for a witness and sends me on my way. He clocked her at 90+ and was in the process of getting turned around when she pushed the kid's car into the ditch."

Just a wee bit up the road after this, I had a semi explosively blow a tire about 200 yards in front of me. I heard the bang, check mirrors for clear and went full on to left lane. Tire fragments everywhere.

Needless to say, I cleared off the road in Mount Vernon and found some margaritas next door to my motel. I slept the sleep of the innocent. :grin:

OP
OP
sleazy rider
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Today started better. After 9 glorious uninterrupted hours of sleep, the game was on. The waterproofing of the Roadcrafter is to be tested. News in tv is showing a storm front just 50 miles to the north between me and I-80/94.

Too much fun.

Somewhere near Champaigne, IL. The bike had a good bath.

Up the road, near Kankakee, stupidity reared its head again. Woman goes flying by me in the left lane, brakes hard and dives across both lanes for the exit. Missed me by feet.

Last pic is near the IL/IN border, a gas and juice stop.

I made it home by 5, unloaded my junk, tossed the top case on the storage shelf and gave it a quick wipe down. Wife is gone to dinner with friends, so it's just me and the mutt.

OP
OP
sleazy rider
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
1250 miles and I'm thrilled with Gary's bike. Got a couple personalization to make. There's going to be a Spencerized seat available in about a month or more. I'm going to order a Corbin for myself. It's now over 100k miles @100,350.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ya Hoo!! Great write up. So glad you dodged all the squids and idiots. Have fun with your new toy.

ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, quite a trip! That's more craziness in one trip than I've ever had! Glad you made it home safely.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you made it back safe and sound! Nothing like a nice fly-n-ride to get acquainted with a new bike! :hat3:

Top Bottom