Need new GPS

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you get the Chinavasion, I'll be glad to help you anyway I can with it. Of their 'line up', I've found the 5" model seems to be the best. Mine once again got me all the way out to California and back without a hitch - which included some real 'frog strangling' rains. ;-) I actually use the ones on my ST1100s every work day because I wanted to see how they held up in constant use. And so far, no problems.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The units do not have all the Garmin bells and whistles, but as far as pure GPS function, they are very comparable
While I use my iPhone as my GPS (with Navigon for long trips / Apple's Maps for the short stuff) I do like a belle or two. And a larger display would be nice.

Does the CV have Lane Assist? That's a feature I really really like. Not that it's a big thing but how 'bout POIs? With Euro software I'd assume not but I've been wrong before. I think.

How about 3D map displays? Could you elaborate in which bells and whistles the CV lacking? A 5" display at around $100 is worth consideration.

Bike
2010 ST1300
While I use my iPhone as my GPS
Since my Nuvi decided it did not like my bike, I tried using my iPhone for directions. It worked fine, until we got lost on a dirt road that seemed to go nowhere. No cell coverage means the phone was lost too. Stopped to ask an Amish lad plowing his family field with a two horsepower plow. I learned my lesson there - never ask directions to the interstate from someone who does not own an internal combustion engine.

I think I'm repeating this story.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks U.P. I'm going on-line to find them / 5" one in next few minutes. Do you still get the software from :
IGO8 from yehob25 at gmail dot com ?

This good one ? : https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/

(the last straw with the Garmin is when it locked up like that just before I was going to put it on the ST to go to NATSTOC )
Yes, That is where I got them. Watch the "EBAY" versions of the 5" - some come with messed up software. If you order directly from the CHINAVASION website, they do honor their 1 year warranty (I've used it a couple of times with the Rage Units).

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
While I use my iPhone as my GPS (with Navigon for long trips / Apple's Maps for the short stuff) I do like a belle or two. And a larger display would be nice.
Does the CV have Lane Assist? That's a feature I really really like. Not that it's a big thing but how 'bout POIs? With Euro software I'd assume not but I've been wrong before. I think.
How about 3D map displays? Could you elaborate in which bells and whistles the CV lacking? A 5" display at around $100 is worth consideration.
Yes, there are POIs included (a function of the mapsets which the lastest one is like the TomTom setup IIRC). And you can add POIs (but I haven't done it). You can also do a bunch of custom mods to the software (just Google IGO8 or Primo and visit some of the GPS boards). If 'Lane Assist' means it shows you what lane to be in on a multi-lane highway, yes it does. In fact one option setting will show you a 'pretty' mock up of the 'proper' lane for an exit. :) The software does have 2d and 3d 'mode', but I've never used the 3d 'mode'. You can also choose up to three 'data points' (compass, altitude, MPG, arrival time, miles to destination, etc.) to show on the screen. It also will show speed limits and it turns 'red' when you are over. In fact, it will even provide verbal warnings for that (but I keep that feature turned off! :D) The IGO software is the software used in most Automotive GPS systems across the pond from what I've been told. In the MC 1.9 mod version I have, it has 'throw away a waypoint' feature which comes in really nice - especially on this last trip across the USA on highway 50. I use MS Streets and Trips to plan and then convert via GPSBabel to get to kml. Sometimes MS puts a waypoint in the oncoming lane instead of the current lane and with the waypoint gadget I can just delete it (an icon pops up) before I get to it when I see a problem. Also, if you 'edit' a route on the fly, it always starts with your current position. So if you decide to change routes after you leave a place, your could load another new route, delete all the waypoints behind you, then take off on the new route. When I say 'lacking bells and whistles' I was referring to playing music, weather reports, traffic reports, tire pressure monitor, etc. - stuff other than just GPS functions. BTW, I also have written a Windows Program that allows you to convert a batch of routes, runs them through GPSBabel, then copies them to the GPS - with one click. I had 13 days worth of routes for this last trip, and it took 1 click to convert and download them to the GPS. I'm glad to provide that to anyone that wants it - it's just tough sometimes to email an .exe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I ordered the 5" one. Next should contact " yehob25@gmail.com " for the software ?

( boy , it was like pulling teeth to authorize Chase Visa credit card to pay Chinavision on the GPS order , first it said payment denied on ChinaVision order , I had to call Chase & get them to authorize , then cancel first CV order and order again which payment went through the second time , then Chase calls me a minute later to verify I had ordered what showed up again there with them.) I guess that's good though these days .....)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, would be the next step. Now here's where it gets interesting. There are two versions he can supply - IGO8 (which he recommends) and PRIMO (which is a later version of IGO8). He says that the memory on the 5" is not sufficient to run PRIMO. However, I run PRIMO on my units with the MC mod with few problems. I will occasionally get fatal error, but no more often that I got when using a ZUMO. The only reason I run PRIMO instead of IGO8 is I really like the MC mod which is rather complicated to install. You will probably be wiser to get IGO8 as it is just a 'plug and play' but do get the 16gb microsd card (lots more room for routes and stuff). And when we cross paths, I can show you the MC mod to see if you like it.

P.S. - I have also made a little 'safety' mod since I had two units come out of the cradle. This has not happened to anybody else that I know of. But on my early cradles, the locking screw would work loose if I rode on really rough, washboard pavement for a good distance. So I cut a little aluminum 'stopper' with a piece of rubber on the end and velcroed it to the inside top of the cradle to be sure they would not come out! ;-)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Whoa Unk! That's a lot of info! Much appreciated. It's good to see the CV isn't particularly lacking as a GPS! I'm going to take a closer look.

My GW buddy also has a 1GS1200R with the Navigator and the screen is a pleasure to view. My iPhone is very functional but the display isn't nearly as nice as a dedicated GPS.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No cell coverage means the phone was lost too.
I have Navigon installed and use it for longer trips. I can download maps for any/every state to be visited. Since the iPhone has GPS it's not dependent on a cellular signal.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whoa Unk! That's a lot of info! Much appreciated. It's good to see the CV isn't particularly lacking as a GPS! I'm going to take a closer look.
Also, once you load a route, you can do a 'flyover' at about 600 mph :)D) to see if your route does anything 'funny'. You can also do an overview that allows you to drag along the route and zoom in. And the update for new maps is really painful - you just plug the GPS into your computer and copy the map folder and POI folder down to the GPS to replace the old map and POI folders. ;-) There are no 'lifetime' map options, but my provider sends me an email whenever a new mapset comes out. I update mine every 2 years or so.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FWIW, I too run Primo on the 5" Chinavasion unit. It runs just fine 99.9% of the time.

If you get one, I highly recommend getting a screen protector for it... it scratches easily with your fingernail. Wish I had before it was too late. :(

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, I too run Primo on the 5" Chinavasion unit. It runs just fine 99.9% of the time.

If you get one, I highly recommend getting a screen protector for it... it scratches easily with your fingernail. Wish I had before it was too late. :(
I bought screen protectors on EBAY for a Garmin Drive 60 60LM 60LMT. I had to trim them a little bit, but they work well.

OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
TourNut
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Just curious - Did you order it directly from the Chinavasion website? Mine usually get here within a week and are boxed very well in a cardboard box.
Yep straight from ChinaVasion , Island of Tonga , apparently , box was inside of the that huge elaborate bubble pack deal.

I now have the trimmed garmin screen protector on it.,

Instructions are vague , it tells what is possible with the different features but step by step info on how to get it going is not there .
Do you charge up the battery first before or after somehow putting in the iGO 2016 Q3 software chip from the other source ?
Do you have to have your PC in between the software chip and the GPS ? or will it accept the chip in the side directly & load in the software ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom