Need new GPS

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
TourNut said:
Island of Tonga
LOL this is probably why it sat in USPS L.A.- Customs probably. Stuff from China and the UK pass through and get here much quicker.

This is the link I used to search the ChinaVasion website. Unc and TN- is this what you used? Pretty odd that Tonga got in the mix.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's where I get mine -

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/

They come straight from China as far as I can tell.

I'd charge the unit and get battery going first. But you should be able to insert the card before you do. 'Face' of the microsd goes to the 'face' of the GPS. The insertion slot is in the middle on the left side. The rubber cover raises up from either end (note the screws in the middle). Use the 'pointer' than comes with the GPS (on the back of the cradle) to gently seat the microSD. Once it's charged, then power it up, from the main menu SETTINGS>NAVI PATH>
If everything is as it should be, set the path on the bottom of the screen. Press the folder icon to the right and browse until you see IGO8.EXE. Select it, click OK then back out to main menu. Press the NAVIGATION Icon and see what happens.

Just a note - When I first got mine, I bought a 120v to 12v plug in convertor (plugs into a wall socket and provides an automotive female cigar plug) so I could run the GPS in the cradle in the house to play with it. They aren't very expensive and they are handy for fussing with other 12v devices.

https://www.amazon.com/AOKII-Converter-Cigarette-Household-110-220V/dp/B072P1KDCG/ref=sr_1_66?ie=UTF8&qid=1500677339&sr=8-66-spons&keywords=ac+dc+cigar+plug&psc=1

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
paulcb said:
The links are exactly the same for me... yours in post #43 and Tournut's in post #44.
Huh. Apparently I'm getting a redirect. The URL I end up with clicking my link is not the same as the first time I clicked and copied the link.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mick - Nope, it only 'recognizes' .kml (Google Maps). However a freeware program like GPSBABEL (and there are others), easily converts one GPS format to another. I actually use an old version of MS Streets and Trips, convert via GPSBABEL to the .kml format. I wrote a VB NET program to do it all in with one click which is nice if you have a bunch of routes for a long trip and have them set up as one per day. I'm glad to share that app with anyone that wants it.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Mick - Nope, it only 'recognizes' .kml (Google Maps). However a freeware program like GPSBABEL (and there are others), easily converts one GPS format to another. I actually use an old version of MS Streets and Trips, convert via GPSBABEL to the .kml format. I wrote a VB NET program to do it all in with one click which is nice if you have a bunch of routes for a long trip and have them set up as one per day. I'm glad to share that app with anyone that wants it.

OK, thanks Phil. I had never heard of a .kml file.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I too use the Chinavasion 5" GPS, with kml files. I use Motogoloco to create my route. Once created, I export the route directly to kml and then save to the appropriate folder on my GPS. I then rename it on my GPS to something logical.

I then check the route on the GPS and adjust as necessary... if just a couple points, I do it directly on the GPS. If multiple points, I just redo it in Motogoloco. Sometimes, the routing between points is different between Motogoloco and the GPS, so I've learned to add a few more points in Motogoloco than might be necessary to force the correct route on my GPS.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Chinavasion software sounds PC centric. Can it be used with the Mac OS (OS X / macOS)?

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You don't want the 'ShareASale' option. My link is -

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/GPS-Sat_Nav_Devices/Portable_GPS/5-Inch-Motorcycle-GPS/

But it is showing out of stock again.

Here's one on EBAY but if the 'mothership' is out I would make sure the EBayer actually has one in hand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-inch-Motorcycle-Car-Truck-GPS-Navigation-8GB-Waterproof-Navigator-Free-Maps/122054258526?hash=item1c6b002f5e:g:zYcAAOSwwpdW393V:rk:33:pf:0

What I have found about EBay sellers of the unit is they will say they have them 'in stock' and in the 'U.S' but usually they get them straight from Chinavasion. This one says they have 5 units and it is the Wince version but I would definitely make sure they do have them and that it is the Wince version not the Android Version as they look the same.

Exxxxxxcellent thread - bookmarked and will be going through it again when I get around to gps'ing the bike - thanks to all for all the great info here!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As I have said, if you get a 5" Chinavasion and have issues, I'll always be glad to help since I have quite a bit of experience with them. Once they are set up, they take very little 'care and feeding' to keep running. The biggest deal is updating the maps - connect the GOSt to a USB port on the desktop, delete the folder called MAP (usually x:\<root>\CONTENT\MAP) and copy the new folder called MAP to the same location - that's it! :biggrin:

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
As I have said, if you get a 5" Chinavasion and have issues, I'll always be glad to help since I have quite a bit of experience with them. Once they are set up, they take very little 'care and feeding' to keep running. The biggest deal is updating the maps - connect the GOSt to a USB port on the desktop, delete the folder called MAP (usually x:\<root>\CONTENT\MAP) and copy the new folder called MAP to the same location - that's it! :biggrin:
You probably said, but what software are you running on your units. I am currently using a nuvi on my ST and a Zumo on my GL. Was planning to get the hard wired set up for the Zumo and switch between bikes, but the wired cradle costs almost as much as the ChinaVision unit. So perhaps I will reconsider.

Top Bottom