ST1300 Alternator Issues and Questions

Bike
ST1300
I had the same issue with my ST as others have reported: a stalled bike with no change in voltage as the engine revs: obviously a charging system issue. Who knew that the throttle body and alternator would be so hard to get out? But I finally removed it and found that the rotor wiring was open. I'll get a new alternator but wanted to ask for some wisdom from the assembled experts: what else should I fix or replace while I've got the entire top of the bike apart? I have a 2003 with ~116,000 miles on the clock. Maintenance that I've done in the past (thanks to the coolant leak threads):
Replaced the bigger coolant hoses a few years ago to stop a mystery coolant leak
Put those fancy hose clamps on the bigger hoses (still smell coolant when fans kick on)
Replaced the thermostat with a Honda OEM
I never want to open up the bike this far again, so this is my one chance. What else should I do while I'm staring down into the abyss?

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The o-rings under the 2 water pipes that you may have had to remove to get the alternator out. Mine where really HARD when I removed them to replace the o-ring on the alternator. With that said - the o-ring on the alternator. Mine leaked. The coolant hoses not replaced before. Did mine at 100k, but they were still in good shape. Clean the 4-way connector and maybe replace the vacuum lines to the throttle body.

Others will chime in. What you do is your call. Not fun getting that deep into the bike to remove the alternator.

Kevin

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I'd change the water pump seals and bearings. And if you plan to keep the bike for a while, I'd replace all the coolant and vacuum hoses again, including the two coolant hoses that go back to the oil cooler. As Kevin said, the water pipe o-rings. It's a great time to clean up the throttle body as well.

Garry

Top Bottom