Garmin Nuvi & Tyre to Travel

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey all, just wanted to throw this out there because I'm having some issues with one or both of these. In the past I've created routes in Tyre and they've worked out very well as long as put extra waypoints in the route to force it to go in a particular direction. So this past weekend I did a 2 day ride using the above method and when I upload the route to the Nuvi the only points in the route are the first and last. Needless to say, this created some serious anxst while on the road. I even created a local route to my buddies house today with 5 waypoints in between the "start" and the "finish" and again the only points showing up are the start and finish. Last year I created about 6 routes for traveling around Colorado while at RockSToc
and a 1500 mile Iron Butt ride and all of these were flawless.

Any ideas? Oh, and by the way this is on a new computer that is running MS Windows 10 but I checked it on the old computer that's running Windows 7 and it's doing it there also. Both 64 bit.

Last edited:

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Have you tried it in MyRouteApp? It's a cloud-based app from the makers of Tyre. I've found it to be more robust than Tyre when it comes to saving route files and then having those routes load correctly into my GPS (TomTom Rider). Go to www.myrouteapp.com, make a free account, create your route, save as GPX, load it into your Garmin, and see if that fixes it.

If it works, you could then use a comparison tool (e.g. WinMerge) to see what the differences are between the Tyre and MyRouteApp GPX files, and then maybe file a problem report with Tyre.

HTH.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Is that an app for the phone? Can it still be created on a computer? I really dislike using my phone for creating routes.
Yes, create the route on the computer. You can then download the app to your phone if you like for viewing.

I'm with you, creating routes on the phone is a PITA.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Yes, create the route on the computer. You can then download the app to your phone if you like for viewing.

I'm with you, creating routes on the phone is a PITA.
Cool. I'm trying it right now. So far the look is fine but I'll need to see what uploads to the Nuvi. When saving the file as a Garmin file do you choose the the .gpx 1.1 or .gpx 1.0?

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Cool. I'm trying it right now. So far the look is fine but I'll need to see what uploads to the Nuvi. When saving the file as a Garmin file do you choose the the .gpx 1.1 or .gpx 1.0?
I would use 1.1. I don't know the difference, but when in doubt, newer is usually better when it comes to file formats.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Well it appears to be correct in the MyRoute app. I've created it and uploaded it and when I review it on the Nuvi it has all the waypoints. So far it seems fairly user friendly. Guess I've got new mapping software.

Thank you TJ!

Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Have you tried it in MyRouteApp? It's a cloud-based app from the makers of Tyre. I've found it to be more robust than Tyre when it comes to saving route files and then having those routes load correctly into my GPS (TomTom Rider). Go to www.myrouteapp.com, make a free account, create your route, save as GPX, load it into your Garmin, and see if that fixes it.

If it works, you could then use a comparison tool (e.g. WinMerge) to see what the differences are between the Tyre and MyRouteApp GPX files, and then maybe file a problem report with Tyre.

HTH.
Well I had an opportunity yesterday to experience my two routes I created with MyRouteApp and I'm happy to say that they worked awesome. It was as easy to use as Tyre and uploaded to my Nuvi with ease. Total trip was 600 miles broken into two routes (1 down/1 back) with 40 waypoints and there wasn't one issue at all.

Thank you again TJ!!

Skip

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Cheers, Skip, glad it's all working well for you.

I'm in the middle of a 10-day Florida trip myself, all routes plotted with MyRouteApp also.

Happy trails,
T.J.

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Can you use the iPhone as your GPS to get turn-by-turn directions, or do you have to export it to a dedicated GPS? I'm looking to update my GPS but it would be great if my phone would suffice.

:04biker:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Can you use the iPhone as your GPS to get turn-by-turn directions, or do you have to export it to a dedicated GPS? I'm looking to update my GPS but it would be great if my phone would suffice.
Apologies if I misunderstood your question, but yes, there are many iPhone apps that have TbT directions. The built in Maps app will do this as well as Google Maps. Google Maps also allows you to add waypoints in your route so you can create a custom route between two points. Note that these apps use a lot of battery (so plan on dedicated power) and if the sun hits the screen directly, it can heat up and shut off. Also, you'll need a waterproof case.

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks. For our big rides each year we design a very detailed route with lots of waypoints to insure that we don't miss any of the twisties. I can export this as a .gpx file but I've had a little trouble finding an app that can handle it. I'm experimenting with Navigon right now. We'll see how it works.

:04biker:

Last edited:
OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I must admit, I have been pretty impressed with the new Myroute-app. I do wish the free version had the reverse option. I'm still toying with the idea of $100 for a lifetime license.

Skip

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I must admit, I have been pretty impressed with the new Myroute-app. I do wish the free version had the reverse option. I'm still toying with the idea of $100 for a lifetime license.
I bought the lifetime license awhile back. Am still on their email list. Got an email today, they are offering 30% off the Gold Lifetime license. The discount code is MRA-L2HUW-ND6XH. Valid until June 25.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I bought the lifetime license awhile back. Am still on their email list. Got an email today, they are offering 30% off the Gold Lifetime license. The discount code is MRA-L2HUW-ND6XH. Valid until June 25.
Thanks TJ! How can you pass up a lifetime license for $70. Now let's just hope it's a long lifetime!

Skip

Top Bottom