Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brakes issues. st1300

Re: Brakes issues. st1300

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Honda didn't release the ST1300 until 2003.
    2002 in Europe.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

I'm beginning to question this thread.... Honda didn't release the ST1300 until 2003. Either your on the wrong forum, or you don't know what model you have, or both.
    Anyone else thinking here?

as said in previous forum messages , we got the 2002 model before you guys across the pond

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by technotony007 View Post
    i am just thinking if i have put the rear brake caliper seals in the correct place. does anyone have picture / photo of were they go?

i know there is two per piston. The smaller, thinner of the two , goes in the groove in the caliper casing. This creates the hydraulic seal. The thicker of the two goes outside if the piston , acting as a cleaner ring / dust , crud seal.( between the casing and the pads, not fitted internally.)

Is this correct , or is have i fitted these wrong

regards

tony

belay the above , due to a brain fart !!!!

it turns the rear calliper had a gel type filling were the thick seal was supposed to go after further investigation.

proper seal in proper place now.

now to rebuild and bleed again

regards

tony

My apologies for thinking you were a troll. It would appear was too quick to judge you, for that I am sorry.
    However, as far as the brake issues go, I would strongly recommend OEM pads, as EBC and other brands tend to cause issues in these ST's.
    You have done too many things (taken apart the SMC) attempted to rebuild it, cleaned it with a scotchbrite pad that may have done more harm than good, etc.
    Taking apart the rear caliper, instead of removing the wheel, etc. The rear inboard pad could be resting on top of the little tabs that its suppose to be next too, this could cause your brake issues, as well as using wrong pads (if used) on the front calipers, dry sliding dowels on any of the three calipers, failure of your SMC (getting stuck in the bore) copper paste on the parts, damaged pin hangers, or a poor or incomplete fluid flush and bleed! And of these, or several of these can cause brake issues.
    If it were me, I would start over, and clean and detail strip both front calipers (re-build if needed) replace the pads with OEM pads, and start by doing a complete fluid flush, either by hand, or using a check valve of some sort (do not use a pump type system).
    Make sure you tap, whack, and wiggle all your banjo fittings, joints, lines, and calipers when bleeding. Be sure to follow the correct service manual procedure, including tilting the SMC during the bleed.
    I would also replace the questionable SMC with a complete new unit.
    Check the recalls on your model and see if it had a recall on the PCV.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

My apologies for thinking you were a troll. It would appear was too quick to judge you, for that I am sorry.
    However, as far as the brake issues go, I would strongly recommend OEM pads, as EBC and other brands tend to cause issues in these ST's.
    You have done too many things (taken apart the SMC) attempted to rebuild it, cleaned it with a scotchbrite pad that may have done more harm than good, etc.
    Taking apart the rear caliper, instead of removing the wheel, etc. The rear inboard pad could be resting on top of the little tabs that its suppose to be next too, this could cause your brake issues, as well as using wrong pads (if used) on the front calipers, dry sliding dowels on any of the three calipers, failure of your SMC (getting stuck in the bore) copper paste on the parts, damaged pin hangers, or a poor or incomplete fluid flush and bleed! And of these, or several of these can cause brake issues.
    If it were me, I would start over, and clean and detail strip both front calipers (re-build if needed) replace the pads with OEM pads, and start by doing a complete fluid flush, either by hand, or using a check valve of some sort (do not use a pump type system).
    Make sure you tap, whack, and wiggle all your banjo fittings, joints, lines, and calipers when bleeding. Be sure to follow the correct service manual procedure, including tilting the SMC during the bleed.
    I would also replace the questionable SMC with a complete new unit.
    Check the recalls on your model and see if it had a recall on the PCV.
    no worries fella, I've been called worse in my time....

appreciate the advice all the same. One thing have noticed is the little silver clip , that the pads sit in is missing

going to order that tomorrow for starters.

then I will follow your instructions on rebuild

then I will revert accordingly

regards

tony

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Tony's in the UK. The Pan-European ST1300 was released on 2002.

A whole page of responses didn't load. Oopsie.
    Last edited by ST Gui; 04-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234