Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes issues. st1300

Brakes issues. st1300

Hi all,
    I bought a CAT C insurance write off 2002 ST 1300. I eventually got all the damage panels sorted out and repaired the other issues.

I found I had a dragging back brake caliper , so I put it in the local bike shop to sort it out , and give the bike an MOT Test.

Got the bike back ,drove it around all day . love it and all was well.... oh so I thought....

I decide to drive to work on it and the rear caliper seized on , half way to work.

I backed of the bleed nipple , and the fluid came out like a bubbling foundation of hot spray. ( finar finar!! )

this freed the back wheel up and took the bike straight home.

On stripping the caliper down , I noticed that there was no inner seals on the pistons.

I am obviously going too.

clean and Inspect the SMC .
    change the brake fuild entirely
    service the rear caliper, ( clean pistons , change all seals, lubricate with silicone grease.)

would the missing inner seals on the rear caliper , cause the issue I had, or does it sound like its the usual SMC issue.

your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated , as its a new bike to me .

thanks in advance ,

tony

SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Brakes issues. st1300

A few years ago, while doing a tire change, I had my rear brakes lock up. Thank goodness, I was in front of my home testing them when they did. I rebuilt the SMC, rear master cylinder and the rear caliper. Fresh fluid and it's still working great to this day!

I just bought all new seals, SMC kit (or just buy a new one) and caliper pistons. Just makes the rebuild that much easier!

Good luck!
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -11,000 miles, 2010 - 60,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 20,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Without the inner seal on a piston there's nothing to keep it from going cockeyed. I Imagine it would take a seal on both ends of the piston to keep it from trying turn a little sideways in the bore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

No inner seal ? Strewth ! That's the one that is designed to keep the fluid separate from the outside air, isn't it ?
    I've only ever had the need to replace the brake seals once and the inner and outer were of a different design.

While you have the system drained, I'd be very tempted to take a look at all of the seals - someone at sometime has decided that using just one seal in the bore was OK. Who is to say that they didn't do the same job on all of the callipers.

This is why people who take short cuts, don't follow the service manual, or try to do it their own way (I've always done it this way), shouldn't be allowed anywhere near something as serious as your brake system!
    Just because someone has "basic knowledge" of auto or motorcycle maintenance does not mean that they understand linked braking systems, ABS, PCV systems etc.
    If you want to do the work, pay your dues, and learn the system, and don't cut corners or take shortcuts.
    Rant over.

Bike
    2004 ST1300A
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    This is why people who take short cuts, don't follow the service manual, or try to do it their own way (I've always done it this way), shouldn't be allowed anywhere near something as serious as your brake system!
    Just because someone has "basic knowledge" of auto or motorcycle maintenance does not mean that they understand linked braking systems, ABS, PCV systems etc.
    If you want to do the work, pay your dues, and learn the system, and don't cut corners or take shortcuts.
    Rant over.
    That's called "Just enough info to F it up."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post

I'd even go as far as to recommend learning the system anyway, even if you want to trust the work to a service centre. At least know what can go wrong and why, so that you know what to ask them to do and what questions to ask to ensure that this particular braking system has been serviced properly.

As the ST1300 gets older, the level of familiarity that the service people have reduces, and they will fall back on what they usually do with other bikes.

The braking system on the ST1300 is a pretty advanced and safe system - and it needs to be - fully loaded it is a lot of weight which it has to bring to a halt from high speeds - and it does it remarkably well - its not just a case of having powerful brakes - its a case of having the ability to apply the power in a way that can be controlled and safe, and when it is serviced properly and working well it does it extremely effectively, and hardly ever has to rely on the ABS as a fall back.
    Last edited by jfheath; 04-20-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfheath View Post

I'd even go as far as to recommend learning the system anyway, even if you want to trust the work to a service centre. At least know what can go wrong and why, so that you and know what to ask them to do and what questions to ask to ensure that this particular braking system has been serviced properly.

As the ST1300 gets older, the level of familiarity that the service people have reduces, and they will fall back on what they usually do with other bikes.

The braking system on the ST1300 is a pretty advanced and safe system - and it needs to be - fully loaded it is a lot of weight which it has to bring to a halt from high speeds - and it does it remarkably well - its not just a case of having powerful brakes - its a case of having the ability to apply the power in a way that can be controlled and safe, and when it is serviced properly and working well it does it extremely effectively, and hardly ever has to rely on the ABS as a fall back.
    well said.

9. The Following User Likes This Post:

The most common problem found with some of the shops, (or folks who should not be working on your brake system), is they have no idea what they are doing, and they simply try to bleed one bleeder, or one section, and don't follow the correct (and complete) sequence. When a shop informs you that they have a powerful machine run off a compressor or that they only need to bleed the problem bleeder etc., my response would be Run Forrest, Run!
    I have had members bring me their bikes after the shop(s) and/or their friends, have done this, only to create a dangerous situation.
    Some shops do not bother tilting the SMC, bleeding the PCV, or only bleed the PCV thinking that will fix everything!
    The first thought that comes to mind is...put the tools down, and step away from the bike.
    Last edited by Igofar; 04-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Sadly I don't have ABS , that will be a mod I am going to upgrade during the winter.

I have ordered the rear brake seals kit , and new rear pads , which I plan to fit at the weekend.

I have the SMC in bits , was cruded to hell ,but not appearing to be worn inside the barrel parts. I have cleaned this up with IPA and scotchbrite , and seems to a nice smooth operating unit,( rather than the sticky unit as before.) which I can push in with my finger. I have cleaned the plunger part out with scotchbrite , cleaned out the drain holecand filled with silicone grease.

hopefully this will help solve the issue. or I will be buying a new unit from the stealers......

I will update once I have fitted everything , change all the fluid for new dot 4 , bled the system.

fingers crossed

regards

tony

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast