Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brakes issues. st1300

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Re: Brakes issues. st1300

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    The most common problem found with some of the shops, (or folks who should not be working on your brake system), is they have no idea what they are doing, and they simply try to bleed one bleeder, or one section, and don't follow the correct (and complete) sequence. When a shop informs you that they have a powerful machine run off a compressor or that they only need to bleed the problem bleeder etc., my response would be Run Forrest, Run!
    I have had members bring me their bikes after the shop(s) and/or their friends, have done this, only to create a dangerous situation.
    Some shops do not bother tilting the SMC, bleeding the PCV, or only bleed the PVC thinking that will fix everything!
    The first thought that comes to mind is...put the tools down, and step away from the bike.

I understand the SMD abbreviation:

what is PCV - pressure control valve ???
    what is PVC - a plastic look materials that looks canny of the fairer sex ??

regards

Tony

Bike
    2001 ST1100 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by technotony007 View Post
    Sadly I don't have ABS , that will be a mod I am going to upgrade during the winter.
    Are you going to add ABS to a non-ABS ST1300? Has anyone successfully done that? I would think it would be less expensive and far less hassle to just sell the non-ABS ST and buy an ABS ST.

Too much white... I'm working on it!

STOC #8735

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by paulcb View Post
    Are you going to add ABS to a non-ABS ST1300? Has anyone successfully done that? I would think it would be less expensive and far less hassle to just sell the non-ABS ST and buy an ABS ST.
    I have bought all the parts second hand , I just need the rear modulator and I can start.... ( it cost less than 400 up to now.)

regards

Tony

Bike
    2001 ST1100 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I have bought all the parts second hand , I just need the rear modulator and I can start.... ( it cost less than 400 up to now.)

regards

Tony
    Nice! Look forward to hearing how it works out.

Sadly I don't have ABS , that will be a mod I am going to upgrade during the winter.

I have ordered the rear brake seals kit , and new rear pads , which I plan to fit at the weekend.

I have the SMC in bits , was cruded to hell ,but not appearing to be worn inside the barrel parts. I have cleaned this up with IPA and scotchbrite , and seems to a nice smooth operating unit,( rather than the sticky unit as before.) which I can push in with my finger. I have cleaned the plunger part out with scotchbrite , cleaned out the drain holecand filled with silicone grease.

hopefully this will help solve the issue. or I will be buying a new unit from the stealers......

I will update once I have fitted everything , change all the fluid for new dot 4 , bled the system.

fingers crossed

regards

tony
    Tony, you would be better off ordering a complete SMC as a replacement. The bore, once cleaned, may look clean, however, due to the angle of the movement, they tend to wear egg shaped (inspect the top of the bore) and look for scuff marks on the leading edge of the piston (worn grey). While scotchbrite pads do clean well, they also scratch and or score the metal .02
    This may be a moot point anyway, because the service manual warns you not to disassemble the piston rod, as they are set to a measurement at the factory and you may not be able to assemble it within the specs after taking it apart.
    The retaining clip also has a round edge, and a sharp edge, (the sharp edge faces outward).
    Make sure you clean your pivot point needle bearings and grease them with good quality water proof grease, as well as the head of the lower mounting bolt.
    Check out John's write up on these issues as well.
    Good luck.

what is PVC - a plastic look materials that looks canny of the fairer sex ??

regards

Tony
    typo - hands still not 100% after surgery, good catch, thanks.

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I have ordered the rear brake seals kit , and new rear pads , which I plan to fit at the weekend.

I have the SMC in bits , was cruded to hell ,but not appearing to be worn inside the barrel parts. I have cleaned this up with IPA and scotchbrite , and seems to a nice smooth operating unit,( rather than the sticky unit as before.) which I can push in with my finger. I have cleaned the plunger part out with scotchbrite , cleaned out the drain holecand filled with silicone grease.

hopefully this will help solve the issue. or I will be buying a new unit from the stealers......

I will update once I have fitted everything , change all the fluid for new dot 4 , bled the system.

fingers crossed

regards

tony
    But enough of the technical stuff, why are you using India Pale Ale to clean your SMC? That's for drinking after the wrenching is done.
    Barry

Keeping the blue side up.

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

regards

Tony
    Pretty close...
    Proportioning control valve: regulates the pressure going to the back form the front application of brakes (via SMC) and provides a time delay to the front when activating the back brake pedal.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

IPA - Iso propanol alcohol , with a touch coke ... or pepsi ..... good stuff ...

regards

Tony

10. The Following User Likes This Post:

(Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by T_C View Post
    Pretty close...
    Proportioning control valve: regulates the pressure going to the back form the front application of brakes (via SMC) and provides a time delay to the front when activating the back brake pedal.

Thanks for that

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast