Oil Filter Wrench

Bikeman

Helping Squids since 1970
Bike
'07 ST1300A
I found an inexpensive oil filter wrench at Walmart. Posting this item thinking it may help someone.

Brand - Hyper Tough
UPC and store SKU- 0820909042136
Cost - $3.37

It's steel, fits 65mm & 67mm 14 flute filters, 3/8" drive, fit's OEM ST1300 65mm filter and Fram PH6017 67mm. Tested it on my ST1300 with OEM filter, and it worked fine using a breaker bar.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I got one of these or the equivalent several years ago from either Walmart or a local auto parts store, too long ago to remember which. I've never had any reason to use a breaker bar with it, just the appropriate extension and ratchet.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Yep, job is breeze with a 65 mm for the factory filter - PITA without it. Advance Auto has a nice selection and they are cheap.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Yup, got one in my filter wrench drawer, great to have. probably got about 16 different filter tools in that drawer.

Since I bought one like that, I tighten with a torque wrench just to know it's right. Same with the drain plug and fresh crush washer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like everyone who does their own car/bike maintenance, I have multiple types of oil filter wrenches. I remember going through a couple of the cup type (like the one pictured by the OP). One simply did not grip a tight filter and expanded enough to slip, and a second held, but the square hole for the ratchet drive rounded out. I took a carbide hole saw, chucked it in my drill press, and cut a 3/8" thick plug of mild steel, then filed the center hole square to fit my ratchet. This disk was welded to the offending cup style oil filter wrench and I still have it many years later. Lot of work, but now I'm more careful when I buy tools.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Like everyone who does their own car/bike maintenance, I have multiple types of oil filter wrenches. I remember going through a couple of the cup type (like the one pictured by the OP). One simply did not grip a tight filter and expanded enough to slip, and a second held, but the square hole for the ratchet drive rounded out. I took a carbide hole saw, chucked it in my drill press, and cut a 3/8" thick plug of mild steel, then filed the center hole square to fit my ratchet. This disk was welded to the offending cup style oil filter wrench and I still have it many years later. Lot of work, but now I'm more careful when I buy tools.
Did almost the same with mine, except I took an 8mm 3/8 drive socket, dropped it into the rounded out hole and brazed it in place, still got it, still works, and fits the ST.......
I'm one of those guys....I've got my good tools, my bike tools, my offroad tools, my homemade tools, and my throwaways, which often become the basis for my homemade ones. Somewhere I have a 5/8 socket welded to the end of a 3 foot steel rod, used it to anchor a bolt inside a GM tube frame. No idea what engineer came up with that brilliant location to put a bolt.
But back to oil filter wrenches... it never hurts to have a selection of them, because sometimes the right tool for the job just isn't right, and it's good to have options.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
the filter should not be over tightened. I also have a number of filter wrenches mostly for the ones that are over tightened. For my bike I just use brute strength.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've used this since 2010. Works 'perfectly' and made specifically for the ST1300.
Who makes it? Where did you get it?

the filter should not be over tightened. I also have a number of filter wrenches mostly for the ones that are over tightened. For my bike I just use brute strength.
I agree, however, the point I was trying to make (and perhaps should have said so directly) was that some of the cup type wrenches are cheaply made. And I don't think I've ever over tightened an oil filter - if you go by their directions to spin it on until the gasket touches, then turn 3/4 to 1 turn more. I not only write the mileage and date on my filters w/ my paint pen, but I have marked the side so that I can tell when that 3/4 or more turn is done. OCD? Whatever.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
OCD Whatever? :eek:4: Never speak those words out loud...or it will be like beetlejuice :rofl1:
I just have a couple comments; first those ring type wrenches were not made specifically for the ST1300, they were made and were sold for the Honda Goldwings. They are nice, however, some are too thick for the ST1300's and won't fit between the swingarm and the filter.
As far as the Pot Metal cheap style cup wrenches, I would pass, as they will slip, damage, and cause alot of frustration on an over tight filter.
H&A Honda sells the correct cup style wrench. Its aluminum and has a large base that looks like a nut. Solid, tight fitting, and will last forever, and work when asked to.

OCD Enterprises - Igofar - The ST-Whisperer

Bike
R1200rt
:)
Who makes it? Where did you get it?

I agree, however, the point I was trying to make (and perhaps should have said so directly) was that some of the cup type wrenches are cheaply made. And I don't think I've ever over tightened an oil filter - if you go by their directions to spin it on until the gasket touches, then turn 3/4 to 1 turn more. I not only write the mileage and date on my filters w/ my paint pen, but I have marked the side so that I can tell when that 3/4 or more turn is done. OCD? Whatever.
:) yes I agree and by the way, I like your post

Bike
2010 ST1300
OCD Whatever? :eek:4: Never speak those words out loud...or it will be like beetlejuice :rofl1:
I just have a couple comments; first those ring type wrenches were not made specifically for the ST1300, they were made and were sold for the Honda Goldwings. They are nice, however, some are too thick for the ST1300's and won't fit between the swingarm and the filter.
As far as the Pot Metal cheap style cup wrenches, I would pass, as they will slip, damage, and cause alot of frustration on an over tight filter.
H&A Honda sells the correct cup style wrench. Its aluminum and has a large base that looks like a nut. Solid, tight fitting, and will last forever, and work when asked to.

Larry, Can you give me a link to H&A Honda and a part number? Google turns up a number of H&A's and one Honda dealership in Santa Fe. Is that the place?

Hmm, beetlejuice - must be like ant or roach juice - what you get when you put enough of them in one of those presses used to make olive oil....

Bike
2005 ST1300
I didn't have a wrench that I could get on my ST1300, so I used to age old method. I punctured it with a small blade screw driver and then turned it with the screwdriver. Works like a charm. I made a note in my manual not to bother with any other method in the future since this method is effective, easy, and will not cause any damage to the bike.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Genuine Honda filter wrench for Honda Element. This filter wrench fits the 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 filters. A 3/8 inch ratchet will fit in the opening or a 17mm wrench will fit around the outside of the top of the wrench.

Bike
07 ST1300

I just changed my oil. Couldnt find my oil filter wrench! Got the old one off by hand strength. Not recommended. Couldn't find my crush washers! Used the old one.
Then I ordered the honda filter wrench. Along with a handful of crush washers.
Then I found my oil filter wrench! Then I found my bag of crush washers!
Then I rode to work this morning. 50 to 60 knot gusts and raining (Nor'easter). Roads covered in wet leaves and branches and occasional power lines. Very exciting ride!

Top Bottom