horn replacement

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I also take manufacturers' dB rating with a lot of salt. I don't know any that provide details on how they measure the sound. WebBikeWorld would be more trustworthy.
Yep... that is the truth. I did see some list their testing parameters... one had it as 4" from the unit. Yep... a whole 4 inches. I'm sure that applies to the real world, somehow.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
No confusion, I was talking about power LOSS in the wire.
Power lost in wire is a square function. If you mount two horns, replacing one horn, you have four times the load in the wiring!

As current increases the voltage drop (loss) also increases. power (watts) equals current squared, times resistance.

simply if you are running 1 amp with a voltage drop of 1 volt you will loose 1 watt. If you increase the current to 2 amps you will get a voltage drop (in the wire) of 2 volts now you are loosing 4 watts. This is why you must increase the wire gauge size. If you double the current you double the diameter of the wire which gives you 4 times the area......

You are correct that power does not necessarily correlate to loudness.

Last edited:

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
I had the denali sound blaster and is LOUD. I ran a 10 amp rfuse on mine. It worked well

Bike
2010 ST1300
No confusion, I was talking about power LOSS in the wire.
Power lost in wire is a square function. If you mount two horns, replacing one horn, you have four times the load in the wiring!

As current increases the voltage drop (loss) also increases. power (watts) equals current squared, times resistance.

simply if you are running 1 amp with a voltage drop of 1 volt you will loose 1 watt. If you increase the current to 2 amps you will get a voltage drop (in the wire) of 2 volts now you are loosing 4 watts. This is why you must increase the wire gauge size. If you double the current you double the diameter of the wire which gives you 4 times the area......

You are correct that power does not necessarily correlate to loudness.
Dumb dumb me. I should have known better than to correct you. I misunderstood.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
the denali sound bomb is a great horn but since i don't have an st anymore i cant help with installation and it comes with relay cuz it draws more than 5 amps

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just tried the Sound bomb mini while i did an antifreeze flush on my ST. It made a little noise like a spoon tapping a foil plate. So what exactly do i need to do to get it to work? They claim its a plug and play but i beg to differ.

I installed an air horn in my 1100. Compressor in original horn location, dual horns mounted inside right side of faring pointing up behind the headlight assembly. They have been moved since this pic. Works like a champ.

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There's another consideration: compressor motors cause greater arcing at the switch contacts than electromagnetic horns do.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just tried the Sound bomb mini while i did an antifreeze flush on my ST. It made a little noise like a spoon tapping a foil plate. So what exactly do i need to do to get it to work? They claim its a plug and play but i beg to differ.
I have a Denali Sound Bomb Mini attached to the same bracket that the standard horn uses, albeit at an odd angle to stop it interfering with the fairing, and to point the opening downwards. It works fine without the need for a relay, and is a big improvement.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a Denali Sound Bomb Mini attached to the same bracket that the standard horn uses, albeit at an odd angle to stop it interfering with the fairing, and to point the opening downwards. It works fine without the need for a relay, and is a big improvement.
I bench tested the Mini and it works great, just wont go when it's on the bike.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I bench tested the Mini and it works great, just wont go when it's on the bike.
Troubleshoot time. Check that the horn's ground wire is genuinely ground with a tester against the battery +.

Check that the horn's hot wire is hot when pressing the horn button, and for hot on the relay if you have one.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It made a little noise like a spoon tapping a foil plate... I bench tested the Mini and it works great, just wont go when it's on the bike.
That sound is usually an indication that the horn isn't getting enough juice so I'm guessing something is amiss with the bike's wiring in the horn circuit. You can confirm this by testing the horn straight off the bike's battery. The results should be the same as your bench test.

To start I'd check the horn button and all connections for corrosion. With the horn installed I'd run an additional wire (12ga) as a temporary jumper - first from the horn's Gnd terminal to the battery preferably or to a clean spot on the bike's frame. If the horn sounds properly you have an idea were to start. If not then run that jumper from the horn's 12+ terminal to the battery. If it sounds properly...

Top Bottom