ST1300 Oil Leak - Similar to previous post

Bike
'04 ST1300A4
2004 ST1300. Just check valves and sealed everything up and now have an oil leak where there was none before. Oil is coming out of the square hole on the bottom edge of the water pump cover, so I dived in and took the cover off. I found that the oil was coming from a hole behind the water pump cover, but outside of the coolant section - see attached - then dribbling down behind the cover until it found the opening. I double checked the valve cover gaskets and can see nothing obvious - but it is really tight quarters to see well and be absolutely certain. I did not have the right side cam chain tensioner bolt off. Is that little hole just a drain for the engine intake valley, meaning that there really is oil accumulating in the valley, until it 'overflows'?
Logic says it is probably something to do with the valve cover gaskets, but any other possible thoughts? I did not have the right side cam chain tensioner bolt off.
Help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Why does your oil look like auto transmission fluid? I've never come across red oil before.

Bike
2005 st1300
It is very easy to trap the rubber "mat" that sits under the throttle bodies between the head and the valve covers. It would cause oil to leak into the valley and I believe I have read that there is a drain hole down to the front which may be what you are looking at.
Bush... I dont know what oil the OP is using, but the brand I have in now is red (Motul). Not sure why they color it that way

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I've never come across red oil before.
+1 on what Bmacleod said - Motul 7100 is red, and its probably because of their marketing. I don't think any of the components have that colour. Their Motul 5100 is green - both of these colours are synced with the respective packaging of these products.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300A4
Yep, I use Motul 7100 and it is red. The more I've been thinking about this, there must simply be a leak on one of the valve cover gaskets, and may the rubber dam is caught under the gasket on one side or the other. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll dig in later today.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Thanks for the pics, it actually answered a question I had on another thread, except my leak is coolant. Hope your fix is rapid and easy.

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300A4
A bit of an update: The hole from which the oil is leaking is indeed a drain hole from the intake manifold valley. I pushed a soft piece of wire through it and could then see it by peering behind the thermostat.
I've put things partially back together and fired it up for about 1 minute with no more oil. Maybe re-seating the valve covers has done it.

Bike
2005 st1300
I will mention also that it might be a good idea to put 4 dabs of silicone on each gasket where the 1/2 moon plugs meet the flat of the gaskets. When I fired up my bike after the winter maintenance, both sides leaked at 1 of those 1/2 moons. There were remnants of silicone there, possibly from the factory, when I did the the valve check and I didnt bother to put fresh stuff there and ended up pulling the covers again to do this. Although your issue lies elsewhere, just watch the area as well.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
+1 on what Bmacleod said - Motul 7100 is red, and its probably because of their marketing. I don't think any of the components have that colour. Their Motul 5100 is green - both of these colours are synced with the respective packaging of these products.
I've had folks freak out thinking coolant is mixed in with their oil (new purchase, used bike) until I show them the quart of Motul in their saddlebag that the previous owner left for him :rofl1:

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300A4
All fixed. I re-seated the valve cover gaskets, dir put the dab of gasket maker on the 1/2 moons (I'd done that before too) cleaned everything up, fired it up and saw a few dribbles but no 'flow' like before. Took it for a good long test ride, and then wiped up some seepage that I think was left over in the engine V. But good to know that that little hole is behind the water pump cover, but not in the coolant flow path, and is designed to drain anything that does get into the V.
All sealed up and ready to ride - if only the Alberta weather would cooperate.

Top Bottom