SoCal Lane Splitting Commuter SupraSabre's Avatar
    Bike
    12/10/04/04 ST 1300s
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: How do you LIKE me now?

Quote Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
    Sure Bob, throw me under the Bus....
    I will become the most popular, un-popular guy now right?
    Actually Larry, I didn't even think of you at that time, but now that you mention it....
    Bob - STOC 5901 -- >300K Miles on ST1300s - ZERO Tipovers
    2012 ST1300 -14,000 miles, 2010 - 65,000 miles , 2006 -Basketcase
    2004 ST1300 X2/#1 - 37,000 -needs waterpump & #2 25,000 miles
    2005 ST1300 - 174,300 miles - sold

2. The Following User Likes This Post:

I'm your huckleberry with the SMC question....

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SupraSabre
    I actually like it. Sometimes I really don't feel like commenting (Yeah, I know, that's hard to believe), but being able to leave a "like" on someone's comment, I think is cool!
    +1 And you can't reply with just '+1' but I understand the rationale. I could use a text expander for a thumb's up but a Like is quick.

I'm not a fan of the 'Dislike' and a lot of sites are moving away from it. I think if you dislike a post enough to post anything to that effect you should explain why in the form of counterpoint.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

This just makes it more work to keep checking and clearing the notifications to see if its an important message, a quote, or just a like etc.
    This ain't Facebook, and I'm not a teenage girl (but I do love this little laughing guy)

AdminiSTrator
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SMSW View Post
    If I don't want to deal with likes, how do I kill that notification that my comments are liked or unliked?
    In your Settings/General Settings section - there is a "Notification for new "Likes" to your posts?" setting, un-check the box that says "Receive Notifications"

Natural Rider Enhancement Blrfl's Avatar
    Bike
    Fast Blue One
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DeanR View Post
    Those that feel a need to 'like', or any of this other social media crap, can always find somewhere else to do it. Sorry.
    I have a secret for you: Forums like this one are, by definition, social media.

I'm actually glad Joe's trying this out because it serves two useful purposes:

1. It cuts back on the number of one-line "I like that" posts after somebody posts something useful and keeps the discussion on-topic. Not that it's a huge problem, but it saves a little bit of time for everyone reading the forum and a bit more for the moderators, because we read pretty much everything that gets posted.

2. It can be used to identify threads worth keeping when the time comes to purge the old stuff. Whether or not Joe will use it that way is up to him, but there are questions I know I've answered three or four times in the last twelve years because the thread where I wrote the first version got sent to the bit bucket.

Unlike Facebook or Google; we're not in the business of selling your eyeballs to advertisers hawking airplanes and treadmills because you liked a post in that thread. Lots of new features have been tried here; some stuck and were kept and others didn't and were canned.

Serious question: Would your opinion be any different if it was a "that's useful information" button?

--Mark
    Wizzzzzzzzzzzz What's a Blrfl? ... Shameless plugs: STWiki

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I have been involved with ST social media since the days of the mailing list. That has been about 20 years ago. The mailing list was very helpful but not real effective when it came to maintaining information. The forum has helped by keeping information searchable instead of the same questions recirculating every couple of months. Although there are many that don't search first.

My issue with this forum now is that it has become more of a social media site, and less of a information gathering and sharing site. I have made many friends on this forum and been to several STOC events because of the social side of this forum, but as the community grows the desire to chime in with little or useless knowledge of the facts has grown.

The fact the there isn't much new to discuss related to the main subject of this forum probably doesn't help. I haven't seem many new farkles show up that haven't been done before, although is still my first place to go when I need help. And there are still many here that know allot about the workings of the ST.

I'm sure the LIKE button works for those that feel the need to be counted. For me, if I can add something helpful I will, if not I just move on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mlheck; 04-21-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Michael Heck
    '05 ST1300
    STOC: 664
    IBA: 61220
    "I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam

Bike
    1991 SSMST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    In your Settings/General Settings section - there is a "Notification for new "Likes" to your posts?" setting, un-check the box that says "Receive Notifications"
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Blrfl View Post
    .... Serious question: Would your opinion be any different if it was a "that's useful information" button?
    Yes. Er... well... maybe.

FWIW,

John
    John OoSTerhuis, STOC 1058, 1991 SSMST1100 - The Grey GhOOST (now @ 188K)
    Multi-task: check out: ST-Riders - The LiST
    My tech/maint/service pictures: link

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Thanks Joe. I'm more likely to use this now, not that I'm likely to get a swarm of likes.
    Last edited by MajorTom; 04-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Barry

Keeping the blue side up.

Are you going to keep a tally of Like & Dislike between states? Say perhaps California and Florida
    Just joking

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast