Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried these LED headlights?

Has anyone tried these LED headlights?

Has anyone tried these LED headlights?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Has anyone tried these LED headlights?

I have not, but I have purchased from superbrightleds and have been very satisfied with their products. I look forward to hearing any reviews of these headlights.

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

I'm intrigued. However, the current draw (and power requirements - watts) seem lower than the H4's sold by Cindy in China (see the Spiderman chronicles). They also put out fewer lumens - but we are depending on Cindy's honesty in the lumen output of those G6 lamps. Color temp seems a bit more toward the blue, as well.

All in all, this seems to be a lower power, less bright lamp than what we are all looking for - a headlight that lights up the road like High Noon in the desert yet does not blind oncoming drivers.

Bike
    1990 ST1100
    My Gallery

I have something very like those fitted to my VFR800. They work really well with a good pattern and no dazzle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-...item2a6e980cbd

There have been some improvements made to LED H4s over the last couple of years. The first ones I bought (Cyclops 3800 Lumen) had no shield around the low beam emitters (these are the ones at the lower front of the "bulb") and were a bit glaring for oncoming drivers. Later bulbs have a shield added that reduces the dazzle quite a bit. The other style also has a separate "driver" unit that sits between the H4 socket and the bulb and needs to be located somewhere, and have a cooling fan.

These latest ones use multiple emitters in a line that mimics the orientation and location of the incandescent filaments in a conventional bulb, and so would more closely match the light pattern of those, and are simpler to install without the separate driver unit. They don't use fans and rely on the finned heat sink to keep components cool. The operation is slightly different where the fan cooled units run the low beam constantly and add in the high beam, where the heat-sink items run the low beam and high beam separately presumably for heat management.
    Last edited by TerryS; 04-20-2017 at 08:14 PM.

5. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    ST1300, 2010
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SMSW
    the Spiderman chronicles
    Well done! I just glanced at the specs and didn't get any farther than the 7200K color temperature. If accurate that's more blue than I like in a light especially a headlight. Even the Eviteks at 6500K are a *little* bluer than I'd want.

But ēK ratings are a lot like manufacturers' dB ratings for cheap car/home audio amps and horns— often suspect.
    Don't tell me what I know. Tell me what I don't know.

Ride safe, ride often.

Bike
    2006 ST1300A
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Gee It looks like Superbright now has a bulb that works well. The lack of a fan will be a problem on those bikes that seal up the back of the headlight from air flow (Dual sport bikes) Those that leave the back of the light exposed to airflow (like the St1300) will be OK. the one with the fans do a better job of keeping cool and lasting longer.

The beam pattern of this style of bulb will be thin and well defined great for on the road flat driving. The Evitek G6 bulb which makes a taller beam is better on road flat and in the curves. The leds bulbs that use a larger emitter (COB) makes the tallest beam and is better suited for off road...

If you go back to my first posting in my chronicle on the New G6 with shield.. I updated it with the other offering that you can consider besides the Evitek now that others are getting into the game. I also noticed that some of the vendors are running out of H4 bulbs. Hmmm....

I too wish they would offer 4000k leds but I know they are still think they need to have the bulb with the most lumens which only come from the higher color temps....

you may have to do your own searching. The links that I posted were USA links but when I saved it and tested the links they got redirected to the Canadian web sites..... (mellow ?? )
    __________________________________________________ __________
    More light is not better, rather putting the light in the right place is better.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST13
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. Why is there so much heat that needs to be managed by LED headlight bulbs?

LED's draw less power than conventional bulbs at the same light level which means that less energy is wasted as heat. And no other LED bulbs besides headlights seem to need heat management. So, what makes them so special?

Bike
    2012 ST1300
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Like my Cyclops I upgraded the $10 to the 7,000 lumens, they are bight and have a good pattern, nobody has flashed me yet for being too bright in the month or two of riding every day with them. They have a Honda ST adapter plate that you can get also, makes for an easy install, if there is anything easy about installing headlights in an ST! They have fans and I had to cut the boot to modify for the larger base.

Map of states with my 2012 ST
    STOC# 8946
    IBA# 66302

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ddemair View Post
    And no other LED bulbs besides headlights seem to need heat management. So, what makes them so special?
    All LED's need heat management. Turn on a high powered LED flashlight, after a few minutes feel how warm the bezel gets.

LED's are more sensitive to heat just due to their nature. The light's smaller size also contribute to the issue. If you have noticed a lot of the LED's made to replace home bulbs have large metal fins to dissipate the heat. And LED brake/turn signals ahve issues too. One of the reasons that there are so few realy bright bulbs in htis configuration is they are mounted in enclosed areas. I've burned out two different sets of flashbacks on the white side of the circuit.

LED's have a neat little thermal cycle. The hotter they get the easier they pass electricity. The more electricity they pass the hotter they get. This loop can last form one hndredth of a second to a full second, but it always ends the same if it's not managed. Manage the heat, manage the electric flow, keep it in control.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ddemair View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but here goes. Why is there so much heat that needs to be managed by LED headlight bulbs?

LED's draw less power than conventional bulbs at the same light level which means that less energy is wasted as heat. And no other LED bulbs besides headlights seem to need heat management. So, what makes them so special?
    Yes, they do draw less power, BUT: LED's are running at much higher lumens/watt ratios than incandescents, but they are not 100% efficient. Anything not used to put out photons is turned into heat, which has to be managed as TC said. If you don't remove the heat, you will quickly have a dead lamp.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast