I just took the 2010 off the road!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I've been noticing that the clutch is slipping worse and worse, so I decided that it wasn't safe to ride anymore. I'll probably take it over to the storage and pull out the '04#2 and see what I can get by on it, to fix it enough to commute on. I know the water pump leaks, but I saw some coolant coming down the front of the engine too, so if the waterpump isn't as bad as I thought it was, I'll just have to watch the coolant level until I can get the shed situation taken care of so I have someplace to work on my bikes.

So for now, if I can get the '04#2 going, that will let me spend the time on the 2012, getting it ready for the June trip. Then I'll throw the 2010 in the shed for a new clutch and things so it can be my commuter bike again. The '04#1 will then be fixed. and then I can sell it, then work on the '04#2 and get it ready to sell. I figure it will take me two or three years to get all of that done! :eek:4:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Bob, are you just collecting these bikes to neglect and break them? :rofl1:
Why not just put new clutch plates and springs in all of them, and swap out the water pumps while your in there?
Just wondering, why you keep going to all the trouble to keep rotating them instead of just fixing them.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
What I'm curious about is how many miles are on the 2010 to cause the clutch to slip. Or was it the operator? :cool:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, are you just collecting these bikes to neglect and break them? :rofl1:
Why not just put new clutch plates and springs in all of them, and swap out the water pumps while your in there?
Just wondering, why you keep going to all the trouble to keep rotating them instead of just fixing them.
Since I have to commute and spend from 6am to 6pm on the road and at work, it doesn't leave me with too much time to work on things. Also, since last year, I lost my garage to be able to tear a bike down and not have it back together over a weekend...hence not being able to work on anything other than normal maintenance.

My shed is on the way, it will give me 11x16 of space to be able to work on a bike and not have to have it back together on the weekend! :D

I do plan on replacing the clutches and waterpumps on the three bikes as I pull the front covers off! :tools1:

What I'm curious about is how many miles are on the 2010 to cause the clutch to slip. Or was it the operator? :cool:
The 2010 has about 66,000 (the speedo was missing when I bought it as a wreck - I own all but the first 1,500 miles). Yeah, I'm surprised that the clutch is gone too, but this commute of mine is really getting bad for a lot of stop/slow/go riding, causing me to change gears like crazy! It could just be the clutch springs have gotten really weak too, who knows. I doubt if it's operator, I got 116K out of the clutch of my 2005, and I replaced it (with a used clutch ) because I was replacing the waterpump. That bike now has on over 185K and still going storng for my son that bought it! :D

Bike
2012 ST1300
Well, I've been noticing that the clutch is slipping worse and worse, so I decided that it wasn't safe to ride anymore. I'll probably take it over to the storage and pull out the '04#2 and see what I can get by on it, to fix it enough to commute on. I know the water pump leaks, but I saw some coolant coming down the front of the engine too, so if the waterpump isn't as bad as I thought it was, I'll just have to watch the coolant level until I can get the shed situation taken care of so I have someplace to work on my bikes.

So for now, if I can get the '04#2 going, that will let me spend the time on the 2012, getting it ready for the June trip. Then I'll throw the 2010 in the shed for a new clutch and things so it can be my commuter bike again. The '04#1 will then be fixed. and then I can sell it, then work on the '04#2 and get it ready to sell. I figure it will take me two or three years to get all of that done! :eek:4:

I almost need an Excel read sheet to keep up with your ST collection :)

Bike
VStrom 650
Bob, you've got to chill out dude. Could I suggest you spend the next few months doing your upmost to make best buddies with a top notch Honda Mechanic. That way you could sit back and ride instead of spannering, if that mechanic just happened to be 20 to 25, female, gorgeous, long blond flowing hair, with beer fridge in garage all the better.
Good luck with the work.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:rofl1: I do have a spread sheet set up with the five bikes...('05, 04#1, 04#2, 10, 12) that keeps track of miles since 2009! :D

Bob, you've got to chill out dude. Could I suggest you spend the next few months doing your upmost to make best buddies with a top notch Honda Mechanic. That way you could sit back and ride instead of spannering, if that mechanic just happened to be 20 to 25, female, gorgeous, long blond flowing hair, with beer fridge in garage all the better.
Good luck with the work.
Upt'North.
Ah, yeah, I don't think that will happen anytime soon! :rofl1:

As long as I have some place to work on them, I'll be fine. Until I got my 20x10 storage unit last year, I had all my parts dumped in my "motorcycle" garage, around the motorcycle that was being worked on. Which meant I had to un-bury it all to work on anything. So, basically since about 2013, the only time I could work on anything was after spending 45 minutes clearing it all out and then putting it all back in after I was done. That's why I have fallen so far behind! :eek:4:

Hopefully in a couple of weeks, I can start working on them again! :roll:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I do have a spread sheet set up with the five bikes...('05, 04#1, 04#2, 10, 12) that keeps track of miles since 2009! :D
Just ONE Excel spreadsheet? I prepared an Access database to track ALL my vehicle records dating back to the early '90s. Never did get into Visual Basic though.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I don't know if you folks get Ice Pilots on the History channel but it is just like Bob and his fleet of STs!

The outfit is called Buffalo Airways and its run by a grumpy old coot (not like you Bob) and his fleet consists of a bunch of C47/Dakotas, a couple of DC-6s, two Lockheed Electra turboprops (look just like P3 Aurora, Orions), and hes even got a couple of Curtis C46 Commandos (looks like a Dak but much larger and more powerful) -and those a re very rare birds. He is always flying in and out of remote strips in the North of Canada and is forever blowing a cylinder or a hydraulic pump just after landing on some frozen lake while delivering a load of toilet paper, Kraft Dinner or plywood.

It looks pretty rickety - but he keeps it all goin' - just like Bob!! :yr1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just ONE Excel spreadsheet? I prepared an Access database to track ALL my vehicle records dating back to the early '90s. Never did get into Visual Basic though.
I did an application for work a few years ago in C++, but it would be like trying to learn it all over again. Yeah, so I though about it, but I just add a sheet each year to track the mileage. I've got enough to do to try to program something.

I don't know if you folks get Ice Pilots on the History channel but it is just like Bob and his fleet of STs!

The outfit is called Buffalo Airways and its run by a grumpy old coot (not like you Bob) and his fleet consists of a bunch of C47/Dakotas, a couple of DC-6s, two Lockheed Electra turboprops (look just like P3 Aurora, Orions), and hes even got a couple of Curtis C46 Commandos (looks like a Dak but much larger and more powerful) -and those a re very rare birds. He is always flying in and out of remote strips in the North of Canada and is forever blowing a cylinder or a hydraulic pump just after landing on some frozen lake while delivering a load of toilet paper, Kraft Dinner or plywood.

It looks pretty rickety - but he keeps it all goin' - just like Bob!! :yr1:
Thanks Pete! I should have you come down and help me replace the clutch slave on the 2010, when I get read to! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd be happy to help SupraSabre. I love southern CA - we lived in Westchester near LAX in '94-95 and it was a wonderful golden time.
I know Westchester! My ole stomping grounds before I got married. (Chris is from El Segundo and I lived in Inglewood at the time - early 70's).

Well, the 04#2 is in pieces, I've removed all indications of it ever being blue, it's turning black.

I've replaced the waterpump and I need to get some electrical FARKLEs connected and I'll be ready to put the rest of the '06 tupperware on it!

04 thread

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Wearing out clutches? Have you considered an old Guzzi Convert? It has a torque converter, and the old Guzzi's are famously easy to work on. Somewhat like farm machinery..... Yes, I know, getting rid of all your bikes to go to anohter marque would take a lifetime or three. I have a similar problem with my snowblowers - 7 at the last tally. Count your blessings. You could be working on snow mobiles.

Top Bottom