Tire replacement after 5 year storage?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hello ST-Owners,

I just came back from Japan after 5 years and now I am getting my '06 ST back to riding condition. My bike had been in storage for the entire 5 years in a storage unit (non climate controlled). Of coarse the bike was dusty as hell and everything looked bad. I decided to replace both tires, brakes, fluids, ect and ordered everything online. Tires (BT-021s) came in real quick but I am still waiting for everything else. The front tire has about 25% tread left, no cracks, but kind of feels hard compared to new, so I will replace that one for sure. When I pulled the back wheel off and wiped it down removing dirt, spider egg "cocoons" ect., the tire still looks brand new. No cracks and the rubber still feels soft compared to the new tire. (Measured by my calibrated thumbnail). Tires are at 42 psi.

My question is: should I go ahead and replace the back tire or ride until tread is unusable and then replace with the tire that I just bought. I am not trying to be cheap but the back tire just seems so good. I have heard that tires have so many years after manufacture date.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Eric

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Since you have em I'd change em, the bike is more enjoyable with new shoes on both ends.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Motorcycle tires are good for five years after the date of manufacture stamped in the sidewall.

A few hundred dollars to replace them is cheap insurance against an accident.

--Mark

My 04 was six years old and had 3000 miles on the original tireS when I bought it. I rode it another six months and changed the tires with 7500 miles on them.

No problems.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My ST1100 had ten year old Continental tyres on it, and had been stored under cover but outdoors. I rode very cautiously to start with, then got progressively harder on them, and they did not quit once. If they look good, I'd go for it.

Bike
VStrom 650
I wouldn't be scared to use the tyre, cautious yes, scared no.
But I would also be thinking if that tyre dumps me on the road and I have a brand new one in the garage will I feel really stupid. Ermmmmm. No more than normal.
I too have calibrated thumb nails.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You would probably get away with the old tires until (and IF) you hit iffy pavement. Say leaned over and accelerating out of a bend when you hit a tire snake or the painted line in the road. Or a touch of wet that might not bother a new tire. I don't gamble with things that have serious consequences. Change them and ride safely with peace of mind.

thekaz

haz gone feral
Hello ST-Owners,

I just came back from Japan after 5 years and now I am getting my '06 ST back to riding condition. My bike had been in storage for the entire 5 years in a storage unit (non climate controlled). Of coarse the bike was dusty as hell and everything looked bad. I decided to replace both tires, brakes, fluids, ect and ordered everything online. Tires (BT-021s) came in real quick but I am still waiting for everything else. The front tire has about 25% tread left, no cracks, but kind of feels hard compared to new, so I will replace that one for sure. When I pulled the back wheel off and wiped it down removing dirt, spider egg "cocoons" ect., the tire still looks brand new. No cracks and the rubber still feels soft compared to the new tire. (Measured by my calibrated thumbnail). Tires are at 42 psi.

My question is: should I go ahead and replace the back tire or ride until tread is unusable and then replace with the tire that I just bought. I am not trying to be cheap but the back tire just seems so good. I have heard that tires have so many years after manufacture date.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Eric
yes according to internet wisdom and manfacturers lawyers motorcycle tires will explode five years after manufacture. Your lucky your ST has not already exploded. If the rear tire still has tread you could send it to me for proper disposal ?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
If the 5 year thing is true, I know a lot of motorcycle owners with original tires older than that. My buddy still "rides" his 2009 Road King with the original tires on it. He's got 5k miles on it now!

Bike
R1200rt
https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Best advice: change at 6 to 10 years regardless of miles due to unseen degradation. Perhaps out of peace of mind, change them.
Car tires are made completely different, just look how the steel is wrapped and the amount of silica used between tires. " In their natural state, tires are sickly brown in color. A substance called Carbon Black is added to the tire compound to reinforce and protect it, as well as turn it an attractive black. If your tire is turning brown, it’s because old age or harsh chemicals have leached the carbon from the surface rubber. In either case, it’s a bad thing." from http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/truth-about-treads. Heat can also denigrate the tire and might loose some of the grip but since the bike was stored I don't think that would be an issue

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Al, how are the tires "made completely different"? That article actually motorcycle and car tires use the same carcass materials with a different shaped carcass (curved vs flat tread). And if material degradation is the issue, how are the various manufacturer's recommendations of 5, 6, or 10 years changed?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The rear tire will be harder now than it was when it was newer.

If you ride flat dry roads all the time it will not be an issue.

Something about: You pays your money and takes your chances, comes to mind.

OP
OP
esdinges
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks everyone for the input. Both tires will be changed. Also, after browsing the forums here, I came across an article about the thermostat replacement and it reminded me that I need to change that as well. The last time I rode the bike I remember the temp fluctuating and gas mileage dropping. This site is the best!!! Thanks everyone for your wisdom :)

Eric

Bike
Vstrom 650
I would change the front tyre anyway, you could get away with the rear tyre on a bike like the ST I think, service life on tyres is 8 years from what I read as long as the aren't perished of flat spotted from sitting up, the rear tyre would have been of the ground though if she was stored on the centre stand.

Top Bottom