Thread: Bent rim advise

Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Bent rim advise

Well because it is snowing today, I am tinkering in my garage and notice the rim on my 1300 is bent, as in the photos below. I am the only one to ride it, have never hit a curb or anything that I recall so I have no idea if this has been there since i bought it used or ???. The bike rides true, no vibrations or indication of any issue with tires or rims, so I am looking for opinions on do I just ride it, hit it straight with a piece of wood and a hammer, squeeze it with a clamp or get a new wheel? Tire was mounted locally here about 5000 kilometers /3000 miles ago at a good dealership and no mention of it then. Ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4659.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	181533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4657.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	181534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4658.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	181535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4660.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	181536

Bike
    '04 ST1300, BLUE
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Bent rim advise

I had a bent rim on a front tire on an ST1100 that looked about like yours.
    I had hit one of those half moon traffic/lane separators and didn't notice the bend for some months (but, I remembered hitting the d*** beast).

I kept riding it without messing with it because, although it was bent, it didn't affect the handling or seating the bead when I changed the tire.

If you love your bike, let it go.
    If it comes back, you high sided.....

Bike
    2005 st1300
    My Gallery

oh Wow!! The fact that the rim is bent outward would make me think the bike was rode over a sharp bump with a low tire. If you didnt do it, the PO must have and nobody noticed til now. Is the rim bent/flared on the other side? If it is still holding air, you could leave it. Myself, I would try and bend it back with a hammer and a block of wood, but that is just me... that would irritate me. The fact that it bent and didnt break would make me think it is not too brittle and could be bent back. I should add that I am assuming that just the bead is flared out from a hit. If a hit was hard enough to distort the circumference of the rim, I wouldnt think you could fix it.
    Last edited by Bmacleod; 04-22-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Bike
    ST1100W
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Nasty. I don't know about your MOT test over there, roadworthiness etc. But this would IMO fail a British MOT because of rim distortion.
    It's difficult from the photographs to judge the exact amount of out of true but it looks considerable.
    I would change it but I'm sure others will say otherwise. If an impact has done this to the wheel or indeed a tyre change then the forces were large.
    Upt'North.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

I tried to take a video but it didn't turn out very well. The rim is running true in the sense of the tire holds without wobble, and it holds air. I just took a block of oak and a good size hammer to it. after some very stern hits the rim is close to true but not quite there. It is a strong piece of aluminum I say. After some thought I did do a few wheelies with the 1300 and maybe one set down a bit harder than the rest, but not to bend the rim like that I would think. It is only on that one spot on that one side.

Bike
    ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I had a damaged rim repaired on my Mustang some time ago, and the shop did a commendable job on it for $80 (US), if I remember correctly. I don't know if shops that do this on auto wheels will do the same on motorcycle wheels or not but it would certainly be worth checking out. You may be able to save mucho $ compared to a replacement wheel. If there are no rideability or handling problems, I would probably elect to ride it as is for now, just keep an eye on the tire wear pattern. Seriously consider wheel repair or replacement before replacing the tire that's on it now.

The Older I Get ... The Better I Was

'03 ST1300A (The one with the faST black wheels)

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Woody's in Colorado does a fine job on straightening them out if they are not cracked. They fixed one of my ST1100 fronts that looked about like that. When they were done, you would never know it was bent.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

8. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    '97 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cdnemsguy View Post
    I have no idea if this has been there since i bought it used or ???. The bike rides true, no vibrations or indication of any issue with tires or rims, so I am looking for opinions
    sounds like you answered your own question. No symptoms, never even noticed it before for how many years? Leave it alone.

Bike
    04 ST
    My Gallery

I tried to straighten out a bend like that and it did not go well. The rim cracked. I was in the middle of nowhere and didn't have a lot of choice but to try. Wished I had just waited for the flat deck.
    There is outfits that will straighten it out. Cars with very low profile cars bend the rims a lot and they are fixed.
    Here is one in Edmonton, but there are others as well.

http://www.thewheelclinic.ca/

If it was me, I would leave it since it does not appear to be causing any issues. The first thing you will notice, if it worsens, is a gradual but constant loss of pressure.

11. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    91 ST1100, 07 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Unless you are lucky, bends in aluminum rims (and cases, and covers) will crack. Cast material bends once really well. Not always back, unless the bend is slight. It will work harden at the bend and crack parallel with the normal/hard gradient. I have seen major dents/bends worked out with the assistance of heat, but have no first hand experience doing it as the process is different with different aluminum alloys.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast