Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bent rim advise

Bike
    2008 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Bent rim advise

My rim has a similar but smaller sized bend to it. My initial thought was it was from a "do it your selfer" trying to change his own tire and was really prying on the last bit of tire to get the bead on. I might try a little heat and a few taps with a soft material like wood also.
    Kevin

Bike
    ST1300A '05
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

I've got a slow leak in the rear tire. Enough to see bubbles at the rim with the good old dish detergent test. Slight ding in the rim at that point. We've got so many pot holes that it did not surprise me. I did in a front rim royally about 6 years back. This one I am going to try to heat and tap (bang) out and see if I can't get the tire to seat properly. Wish me luck.
    Jim
    STOC 5967
    ST1300A '05

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C-G View Post
    We've got so many pot holes that it did not surprise me
    Good luck Jim! I do not want to downsize your statement about potholes, but until you try to navigate around the city of Grande Prairie Alberta, I don't think you have seen real potholes. It is ridiculous here. In Grande Prairie they say that the only time you drive over a pothole and it is smooth, is when it already has a car in it. Let us know how the rim repair goes. I have left mine after getting it fairly good. No air leaks or wobbles here.

Bike
    ST1100X
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

My friend had a cast wheel fail that caused him more that a few health problems and time off work - I'd find a good wheel before too long.

Roger

Bike
    05 ST1300 abs
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Jim,
    I would be very careful about attempting to bend your rim either cold or heating it. The typical grade of aluminum used for wheels tends to crack when deformed and may also lose its metallurgical properties when heated.
    I realize you have had success with this in the past but I believe it is very risky
    Jack

saw a car wheel guy come out in his truck to straighten some wheels and he just hammered them. He had curved metal plates and hard plastic hammers, basically he just hammered them straight as long as the flat part (not side)was not bent.

Bike
    ST1300A '05
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

First time taking a tubeless tire off I think. Used the zip tie method. Not as slick as I had hoped. The ding in the rim was not as bad as I thought and I did manage to get a little bit of it banged out with heat, a piece of dowel and some hammering. Got the tire back on and used some "Rim & Bead Sealant" on the tire and rim before seating it. 2 days later and she's still holding air. Of course I have rain and snow in the forecast all weekend!

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

I'd try to find a local shop that repairs aluminum wheels. I would also talk to the guys in the shop and try to figure out if they really know wheels or are just 'guys with a hammer'. Talk to them about alloys and work hardening, and decide if you want them to work on your wheel. In the end, I would probably ride on it for the short term while scouring ebay and junk yards for a replacement. As Roger said, failure of a front wheel is no laughing matter and the consequences far outweigh a few hundred bucks spent on a replacement (used) wheel.

My own philosophy is its stupid to die or get hurt when a little effort could have prevented that. Not everyone agrees with me. Most disasters happen when multiple things go wrong, and would not have happened with only one problem at a time. I try to decrease the odds by cleaning up the easy things. YMMV.

Bike
    2008 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Phil View Post
    Woody's in Colorado does a fine job on straightening them out if they are not cracked. They fixed one of my ST1100 fronts that looked about like that. When they were done, you would never know it was bent.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
    Woodys is good but not cheap. I would call them monday and see what they charge, don't forget shipping costs both ways. A new wheel assembly from Partzilla is $477.

In The Barn
    2008 ST1300 - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2017 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grabcon View Post
    Woodys is good but not cheap. I would call them monday and see what they charge, don't forget shipping costs both ways. A new wheel assembly from Partzilla is $477.
    I wouldn't disagree with that at all! I did remove the rotors to reduce the weight of shipping. But when compared to the price of a new rim for a ST1100, it was a deal at the time.

97 ST1100 STD +146,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +110,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +60,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast