SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just got a Toll Evasion Violation!

Now first of all, I was NOT on the freeway (SR91) that day (4/6 - a Thursday) at all!

And I know for a fact, nobody was riding the bike they Identified in the violation! My 2004 #2.

How can I be so certain? Easy, the bike has been sitting in storage for the last six months, until I pulled it out this last Saturday!

So now I get to go through the hassle to inform them they are WRONG!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yeah good luck with that :rofl1:
Does this mean you'll be on the next reality show...Toll Evasion Violation!

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Good luck with fighting it, it can be a pain. My wife got a mail in from NJ about her going through a toll booth without paying, in a rented company car, at 4am in the morning. Couple of problems with that.
1) She has never been to NJ in her life.
2) If she went through a toll booth in NJ at 4am, how did she punch into work at 7.30am that same morning in NC?(I can't cover that kind of ground, even at ST nominal speed)
3) The rental had been returned in NC the previous day.

Finally got it sorted out, lawyers were involved. She almost lost her job over it, but after pointing out #2 and #3 the company realized something was fishy.
Turned out that a rental company employee had left the vehicle on her companies tab, figuring that with such a large company, they wouldn't notice a couple of extra days rental, and loaned it to a friend. Probably would have gotten away with it if they hadn't blown through a toll booth.........
Someone lost their job when it was all figured out.

Bike
2010 ST1300
What a royal pita! And of course, you will have to prove you are innocent. I would assume that when they pull up the pic of the back of "your bike" that will straighten everything out.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I, too got a toll violation several years ago. I do not drive that section of tollway so I contested...refused to pay the fine without proof, something we can do here in Texas. PO's manager played the 15 second recording. Was not my vehicle, but one which had the plate changed with black tape...a 0 changed into an 8. They dropped the fine. Tape guy got off free....even though TxDot now had his real plate number.
Weakest link in any system is bureaucrats.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I did avoid a toll accidentally in the fog on the Florida turnpike. When I got home I called them up and explained what happened. They said don't worry it would only be $5 or less. They never sent me anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Probably some creep did a re-paint on his license plate and just happened to use your numbers/letters. or....did your plate get stolen?

I used to live in Ottawa (Canada) and one day in about 1986, I got a whole slew of parking tickets from the City of Montreal in the mail - assessed to my bike plate over the previous couple of days, but the bike was listed as a black Kawasaki 900.

The difficulty was that I rode a red Suzuki 850 at the time.

I thought WtH - and went out to my garage and sure enough....some potlicker had swiped the plate off the back of my bike when I was downtown in Ottawa a couple of days before and I hadn't even noticed that it was missing. He must have bolted my plate onto his Kawi and skived off to Montreal for a fun weekend of illegal parking at my expense. Heaven knows what else he did....:eek:

I simply rode over to my local police station, showed them the tickets and that my bike had NO plate and that it was not a Kawasaki Z1 - and wahhh-laaa - I was off the hook. My local coppers simply communicated with the Montreal parking folks and the tickets vanished. Apparently, it was a common scam at the time.

Does your bike still have a plate on it?

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I got pulled over for no current license tabs on our travel trailer a couple years ago. Had the tabs, just not on it for first trial run in the spring. Anyways, according to the officer(s), the license plate on the trailer isn't/wasn't the correct one and technically didn't exist. It's been on it since we bought it 10 years ago. Basically it came down to apparently the DMV giving me the wrong license plate at the time we transferred and registered it. Someone somewhere is probably running around with a plate number that was assigned to me. That was a fun one to straighten out at the DMV. You know the place, the place that's never wrong.

Bike
R1200rt
I just got a Toll Evasion Violation!

Now first of all, I was NOT on the freeway (SR91) that day (4/6 - a Thursday) at all!

And I know for a fact, nobody was riding the bike they Identified in the violation! My 2004 #2.

How can I be so certain? Easy, the bike has been sitting in storage for the last six months, until I pulled it out this last Saturday!

So now I get to go through the hassle to inform them they are WRONG!
had that happen to me at a toll both about an hour north. The Harley had the same plate number,21, except that it had a star in front of the number. They were able to send me a picture of the bike and plate. I the called and notified them of the star which my plate did not have. They dropped the fine with out doing anything more. Request a picture!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Cmon Bob, you have so many ST1300s that its fairly likely one of them was on the 91 that day, how can you keep track of all of them, really?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, right... well, the plate is right here at the house now, sitting on the rear fender, under one of my workbenches. So, it's not a lost or stolen plate. Like I said, the bike was in STORAGE, so it was NOT on the road that day!

My wife just reminded me that that was the day we left for Utah, so I left work a little early, from SAN DIEGO and I was on the 2010 (same color as the '04#2 was until this last Saturday...) but a different plate number!

Yeah, I will be requesting a picture of the offending vehicle!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
A customer of mine lost out on a contested toll, in what had to be the oddest of all.

He drives a BMW M6, and had "M6" as his license tag. Too bad for him, that is ALSO the license number of a certain MD state motorcycle cop.

Somehow the two got connected in the automatic toll transponder data, and nothing he could say or do would change their minds that all of those tolls that the cop was running up (presumably on patrol) weren't his responsibility. The bureaucrats could not be persuaded to go LOOK AT THE DANG PHOTOS and see it was a moto and not a big silver bimmer going through the device.

He finally had to change his tag.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
It's happened to me a couple times. I had a dune buggy with a Florida tag GROOVEE. They sent me a notice with a picture of some car with an out of state tag the same. I called them and told the woman you can easily see that's an out of state tag and not on a dune buggy. She looked at the picture and said you're right I'll fix it. Done.

A couple years ago I got another one of an out of state car with the same number that was on my WR250R Yamaha. After much searching I eventually found the number to talk to someone. They made it very difficult to find the number. I think they want you to give up and just pay it. Anyway I finally got someone on the phone that gave me a hard time after telling them mine is a motorcycle with a little tag and that is an out of state car with a full size tag. They wouldn't let it go right then and said they would have to investigate it. A month later I got a letter in the mail saying it had been resolved.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Just been notified by my work office (in Melbourne AUS) that my company provided Ford Ranger was photographed at 8km/h over the speed limit. Problem is, for that past five week my wife and I have been touring the USA & CAN.

Someone has some explaining to do about the unauthorised use of the company vehicle when we return.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Penn. is going to great effort to have parts of our turnpike become payless. I can see mucho head-aches in our future. Either you use "Easy-pass" or get a monthly bill from a camera/computer montitored system.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Penn. is going to great effort to have parts of our turnpike become payless. I can see mucho head

Louisville not only just went to 2 of 4 bridges being tolled, but toll-less. Being that I might travel East, I paid the $15 for an EZ Pass transponder. For giggles, I went over 1 of the bridges and 2 days later saw they'd taken the $2 discounted fee
out of my account. Issue I have is that friends of mine who have not registered or gotten transponders ( and will pay $4) per trip....haven't seen a bill yet for either of their 3 trips across the bridge...that took place 3 months ago. ARGH !!!

Top Bottom