Stock to LEDs?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I picked up the LEDs for all 4 turn, the G6 H4 headlight bulbs, and LED brake bulbs that flash 8x then solid.
Will my stock turn flasher unit work? Anything else I should be thinking about? Thanks everyone.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
No, stock OEM turn signal flasher will not. Need an electronic flasher. The LED's do not draw enough power to make the OEM (mechanical) flasher cycle. Well they will if you use th eload resistors some sellers provide, but then you lose one of the reasones you switched to LED's/

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Where does the relay plug in?
Behind your left side cover is your fuses and relays. Look in the book for the diagram but basically the relay farthest to your right and inside is for the turn signals. It has three wires to it and you can buy timed flasher units, not load flash units on eBay for $5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
I assume the stock flasher will not work if some of the indicator lights are changed to LED's - for example if I were to change only the fronts. Will the electronic flasher work with a mixed load (in this example, front LED's and rear incandescent)?

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I assume the stock flasher will not work if some of the indicator lights are changed to LED's - for example if I were to change only the fronts. Will the electronic flasher work with a mixed load (in this example, front LED's and rear incandescent)?
Yes and no. The flash rate will be off but I don't know by how much.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Lol, yes Al-Hala, that was a year and 5 months ago, lol. But honestly, thank you.

whelp, your estimate of my stupidity is accepted with thanks:) That's what I get for multi-tasking when exhausted :p

I'd better let someone else cook, or order in tonight :)

Bike
Honda ST1300
STOC #
Thanks guys. Got all the bulbs in and the flasher but ran out of time for the brake wire to the switchbacks. I guess that's why we have tomorrow's?

Danny

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Changing only the fronts will have the same effect on the stock flasher as having a burnt out bulb- it will flash rapidly. The electronic type do not care what type of bulbs or combination of bulbs are installed as long as the capacity of the flasher unit is not exceeded.

Bike
Honda ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but "tomorrow" never comes.:oops:

Anyways the electronic flasher will work with either bulbs, but flashes slower than the stock flasher. Still works well.
That's right! The song says so I think

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
How did get to the rear turn signal bulbs? I bloodied my hands trying to reach them under the seat. I got my fingers on them but....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have medium size hands no blood shed. However the job is made much easier for future swaps by using some silicone lubricant on the o-rings.

Top Bottom