Taking a time out.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'm going to be taking a time out from riding, for a while. I haven't ridden much this year, and have come to the realization that it's just not fun, anymore. I'm not selling the bikes yet, as I may come to my senses, but for right now, I'm going to quit worrying about why I'm not riding.

Ride Safe
John

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Usually when I feel that way, I go for a really long ride. By the time I get back, I forgot that I felt that way in the first place!

Hope you get things sorted out John, it's been a trying year for you!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've done that myself when I felt the passion was gone.. sometimes it comes back and sometimes not, it did for me.

Bike
VStrom 650
Nashcat,
What do they say, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone". Or was it a song? Age you know.
I think you will matey, come to your senses that is. I have enjoyed your bits on here and it's obvious you are passionate about bikes.
Time out won't hurt though, absence makes the heart grow fonder. No was that a song?
Upt'North.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
When I first read this post I thought back to Igofar and his post about him being sick of helping people and hanging it up...but that was April fools or around there. Well Nash you missed it by almost a month, so I am hoping this is just an error reading the calendar and nothing else. Hope all is well and like they say "a change is as good as a rest", but hope you don't change for a long time.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Hate to hear this John. Hope we can still get a chance to see you at some events this year.

Riding has been such good therapy for me. A good long ride helps me get back on track when life becomes too much. Hope you can find something to fill the void left by not riding.....got a boat?
Mike

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Working on or riding bikes has been my yoga equivalent for over 50 years. Work issues or family problems seem to go away within ten minutes of doing either. It seems to keep my mind focused on the task at hand...the only thing that has ever worked.
Family hurts always return, though. Sort it through, John.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
John:

You have had a very tough year and been through a lot. It makes sense to step back and take some time to think.

Good for you for having the wisdom to do that and for sharing your thoughts and showing kindness and consideration to this group of folks who care about you. Please keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Kind regards,

Pete

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I went from Full baggers to the sports ride of a ST, complete change in the way I ride and how it feels to ride. Maybe finding a new way to feel the same passion would help you also. I joked feel better earlier as if you had a sickness but now I honestly say feel better as in get your happiness back. I hope you enjoy your life and live.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I can certainly understand needing a change of pace. I get so much time riding the bike to/from the office I dont; have much passion for riding on the days off. If osmeone schedules an RTE or camp-out, I'll definitely be there and I'll enjoy the ride. But if someone just says "Let's go for a ride today." my first response is "Where to?". If the destination is unknown, not tasty or interesting, I'm not in the mood to ride.

Just do what ya want and enjoy the ride of life. Plenty of ups and downs, twists and turns to keep it interesting.

Byron

STOC #
I think there are a lot of us that need a break from time to time. As Joe stated some get back to whatever they took a break from and some don't. Find something that makes you happy and enjoy life as much as you can.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Many of us can relate John--I like your point that you're going to "quit worrying about it" as that's been the hardest part for me the last couple years. Seek out other things to enjoy, take your time!
:)

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
John your year has been tough. Most of us have not been where you are. It is going to take time to know for sure what you really want to do. So just take your time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
MaxPete said:
Good for you for having the wisdom to do that and for sharing your thoughts and showing kindness and consideration to this group of folks who care about you. Please keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do.
^ This. Riding poses a certain amount of risk under all but perfect circumstances. If you don't have to ride doing so when it's just not fun could have bad consequences.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. My guess is you don't have to ride to to hang out here. That's a separate choice. In all cases be well.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
John, I hope you take this time to find what it is to regain your passion to ride again. It has been a pleasure getting to know you. I sure look forward to seeing you at another event when the time is right for you. And I hope that is sooner than later.
Hang in there buddy.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
John, sometimes life can seem impossible, and we start questioning things....I hope you find peace and direction. My enjoyment started fading away on bikes after my wife and my brother were diagnosed with Cancer. a long ride, just caused me to think and worry more and played mind games with me, and I always found myself racing to get back home. Then I was forced into surgeries on both hands and have not been able to ride in over a year. Now I am not sure I will be able to ride my Pan anymore. I am also facing the fact my real job may retire me and force me out after 30 years. However, I have found purpose and peace in helping folks on this forum and its helped me get through the last couple difficult years. I am starting to think about downsizing to a smaller bike (maybe a new triumph T-100) something small, light, and fun again! Every once in a while I need to step back and remember WHY we ride in the first place. For me its never been to be the fastest, go the farthest, have the biggest, but the freedom from the stress of life.
Right now the only thing I can ride on is my Honda Metropolitan....and you know, that's OK.
If you find your at the cross roads of parting ways with riding motorcycles, don't fear it, embrace what your next chapter in life has in store for you.
You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Larry & Christy Igofar

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
... as I may come to my senses ...
I think taking a break is the most sensible thing to do, if you're not currently enjoying riding. But please, don't leave the forum because of that, unless that also is no longer enjoyable for you.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Many of us can relate John--I like your point that you're going to "quit worrying about it" as that's been the hardest part for me the last couple years. Seek out other things to enjoy, take your time!
:)
Agreed. I've been in a slump for about 4 years now: I have a great kid who has replaced my inspiration to ride now.

But, I still ride. It's just that the ST doesn't really leave the city any more like it used to. It's pretty much a daily work commuter for me (provided I don't have to take the kid to daycare that day).

My point is that we all evolve as riders. We mold and shift into different paths than the one we started on. Most of my ST buddies have moved on to Adventure bikes now. They just found different trails.

Take a break. Consider. Move on. It's healthy.

Top Bottom