Taking a time out.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Heck buy a Miata you'd be surprised how fun they are.

Last edited:
Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I kind of know how you feel john, I had just posted about not feeling much like riding on the Goldwing forum even though I did over 1300 miles to st. Louis and cuba, mo. and back in two days. even the guys I rode with said I didn't look very excited i've put maybe two miles on the might S 1300 since then and I'm having a hard time getting 100,000 on my wing and it has 99,820 miles on the clock. i'e been told to ride some " new " roads but I'm having a hard time getting out of my driveway

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I can sympathize with the feeling, and hope you don't receive the harping to ride that some receive.

When the MX bikes were no longer fun because my body couldn't keep up with what it took to be fun, that left the road. When riding long distances and fast, the ST finally was just taking space so it moved on. Now, after some time, the KLR isn't moving either. It didn't do 100 miles last year.

Gearing up, and dealing with the paraphernalia became a bigger and bigger nuisance so one of the sports cars always seemed more desirable. No stuff to don and store, no clomping in riding boots, no sweating.in riding pants and jacket rather that hauling them on and off in a rainy parking lot.

Add to that, Rupert Bunny can go in the cars, but never the bike's, and the interaction with people is much more fun than dodging distracted drivers. Yes, it's unfortunate that whar was one of the most favorite activities for 50 years is more trouble than it's worth.

The KLR will wait, unlicensed for a while to see if the feeling changes, but don't think that bit will. Our insurance is prohibitice of licensing and leaving it sit as $110.00 per month thrown away, and that's liability alone, seems silly.

The 1965 CB160 restoration, and mothball KLR will be there, awaiting developments

I still enjoy helping others with their bikes, and there are research projects awaiting.

Age and other changes come, usually unbidden, but enthusiasm can find a new focus. I wish you well and enjoyment in whatever is your new passion.

For me, seeing a hospital patient light up at the arrival of Rupert (the therapy) Bunny is far more pleasant than riding.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Heck buy a Miata you'd be surprised how fun they are.
+1. About 15 years ago, I bought a '94 Miata w. 60K miles on it and sold it last year to a buddy. It's now got well over 200K miles and runs like a top. IN ABOUT 2011, the '94 started to get a bit long in the tooth for long trips, so I bought an 06 Miata - and love it too. The point is that these really are great cars and they are just about as much fun as a bike - except safer and no need for ATGATT.

Anyhow, John - there are lots of people here pulling for you so stick at it, stick around on the forum and do what's right for you.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

v8-7

Site Supporter
Missed you in Georgia, john....You don't have to be on a bike.. Stan

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
I have gone threw that period of no motorcycle by choice...Mine usually lasted about 3 years....I have always gone back...When I came back I bought a cheap KLR...very low maintenance...they are not great at anything but they are good at a lot of things...they quenched my motorcycle thrust for low cost....Now I just bought a ST1300..(still have the KLR)....

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Sad to hear this, John... I know the feeling as it comes and goes with me sometimes. I've had a slow start this year, but hoping to make a long trip on the Wing sometime this summer. Maybe what you need is a long trip to take in the sights. The door is always open to you at Vinny's Place if you want to visit.

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, it's been a week since I announced that I wasn't going to ride for a while and it feels like a heavy load has been lifted off my shoulders. That may sound funny, and it certainly feels strange, but it has certainly helped my well being. I equate it to the feeling that you get when you finally get your taxes finished and don't have to worry with them, for another year. With riding out of the picture, I've been able to focus on getting some other things taken care of, and when I finish up a couple of more things, I think that I'll be ready to hop back on a bike, again. I'd like to thank everyone for the support that I've received lately. You've certainly helped me get through a rough time and hopefully I'll see you on the road, soon.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Good for you John - get those admin. details done, plus get the sad issues of Mrs. Nashcat's estate finalized and then see how you feel.

Perhaps a little jaunt on the wee to a favourite coffee spot with a buddy....might be just the ticket!

Cheers and be well,

Pete

PS - if you feel inclined to head north - you would be most welcome at our home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom