Left front caliper ***. mystery washer

Bike
ST1300 CBR1100X
Servicing front brakes today. The left front fork tube has two attachment points (ears ??) for the brake assembly. At the upper point, I see a brown washer on either side of this "ear" on the fork tube. The washers have sort of a carbon-fiber look to them; they're not any kind of metal. If you refer to the attached schematic, just below #19, you can see a clevis - like (?) connection that is part of the caliper bracket. This "clevis" attaches to the upper "ear" on the fork tube, and I need the 2 brown washers that apply to either side of the "ear".
Local Honda parts desk can't find these brown washers, nor could I after viewing parts diagrams on-line. No luck looking through the service manual either.
My bike is an 04, so I'm thinking someone has had to replace these suckers by now. Does any one have a part number, or the proper name for the washers?
Thanks for any help.
Oh yeah, I'm trying the Bridgestone T30 EVO (GT spec) this summer. Fingers crossed!
0_0.png

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
I ve just had mind apart , I did find any brown washers so to speak. ( unless these were just badly corrected...i.e. rusty steel items.......:confused:)

I am sure these are the usual shinny sealing metal washers for a brake system.

Stainless steel /Copper / brass items could also be used . If you were feeling the need to be different or upgrade.

hope that helps

Tony:)

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
they are bonded and must have came off--they are made of a material they works as a bearing surface as that "fork" pivots a little as you apply brakes.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just looked at mine and I have the washers that you speak of. I did look at the parts manual and do not see them listed just like you didnt. I am wondering if they come with the bolt as a bonded on washer?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Sounds like what you are describing is the swagged in brown fitting that the small dowel rides in on the upper part of the fork lower. These are a tube that has turned out ends on them that look like spacers. They are pressed in at the factory, and are not available from Honda, or anyone else for that matter! Damage one beyond repair and you need to purchase a new fork lower to replace it! :banghead: This washer keeps the bushing centered perfectly and allows the caliper bracket on our ST1300's to pivot smoothly.
Sometimes you can rotate it around and snip off the damaged section and face that forward. These get buggered up when folks try to force the calipers back on without paying attention.
I have been able to save one in the past, by removing the sides (dremel) and leaving the center part intact, and replacing the sides with small nylon washers (do this at your own risk) I would not recommend anyone modify any part of the brake system (disclaimer-I live in California)
Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
oldandgrey
Bike
ST1300 CBR1100X
Thanks to all for the replies. A "parts analyst" at Honda Canada suggested this part would come with the caliper bracket bushing. Well, it doesn't. I ordered the bushing ; no mystery washer. IGOFAR, you got it right, as after a closer look , I can see that it is indeed a sort of metal "sleeve / washer on both sides" combination.
Today at the local Honda parts desk, one of staff suggested that probably the only way to obtain a replacement would be to buy a new lower fork ! ($370 CAN) :censored
For now, I'll try to find some nylon washers, and hope that it will eventually stop raining so that I can try out the new Evo.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hi o&g ,
Just as a thought, maybe you could use the fibrous type washers, that are sometimes used to fix leaky household taps or fawcetts.

just a thought, other than nylon washers.

regards

tony

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
The spacer material must be the same thickness as the one in the fork leg, or it will cause the yoke on the smc plunger to bind, and may cause your smc to work, sending fluid to the rear and drag the brakes etc.
The inside of the "hole" of the washers need to be the same dia. as the metal collar also.

Top Bottom