turn the key on and nothing/ no instrument light/ horn nothing

any idea where to go from here??

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I don't know that much and haven't had all that much experience diagnosing wiring problems so more informed opinions should get greater weight and consideration.

That said I'd start by checking ground connections at the battery, the big bunch of grounds behind the left middle cowling (oh that's ST1300; not sure if there is something similar on the 1100's), and wherever else there's a ground involved with the ignition circuit.

Has the bike been sitting a while? Look for mouse-chewed wiring, perhaps well inside the bike.

Any chance you've got a wire with abraded insulation, bumped up against something it should not be?

Any chance the wiring to / behind the key itself has corroded or come loose?

Any farkles that tapped the ignition-related wiring, at or near the fuses? Check those connections if so, and the taps themselves.

There you have it- the sum total of things I can think of, that my betters have discussed on various electrical threads I've read.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Check your battery cables.
Always the first thing to check when this happens.

Do you see any sign of electrical life when turning the key in the ignition switch? The contacts in there can wear and end up disconnected in the ON position, but you might see a glimmer of life as you rotate the key to the ON position.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Check out the starter relay connector. Just to the left of the battery. Did you check that fuse? There should be a spare right by it. Pull the connector and look at the inside of it. There is a red wire going through there. For what ever reason it gets hot and starts burning the connecter. The red wire supplies power, or turns relays on, for about everything on the bike. It is an 18 gage wire with a 30 amp fuse.

See the link for a better explanation including pictures. The fix is easy and cost about $10.

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7130.msg58746#msg58746

Hope this is all it is, an easy fix.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't know that much and haven't had all that much experience diagnosing wiring problems so more informed opinions should get greater weight and consideration.

That said I'd start by checking ground connections at the battery, the big bunch of grounds behind the left middle cowling (oh that's ST1300; not sure if there is something similar on the 1100's), and wherever else there's a ground involved with the ignition circuit.

Has the bike been sitting a while? Look for mouse-chewed wiring, perhaps well inside the bike.

Any chance you've got a wire with abraded insulation, bumped up against something it should not be?

Any chance the wiring to / behind the key itself has corroded or come loose?

Any farkles that tapped the ignition-related wiring, at or near the fuses? Check those connections if so, and the taps themselves.

There you have it- the sum total of things I can think of, that my betters have discussed on various electrical threads I've read.
You sure covered all the basics. Since the OP gets nothing when he turns the key, there is no electricity flowing period. That means an open circuit - #1 of your suggestions is right on target.

Top Bottom