Throttle tamer

Bike
2004 St1300
Who has is installed the throttle tamer and what is your experience how it has changed throttle response? I was thinking about one due riding on a bumpy road and the throttle being a little jerky at times at slow speed. Thanks Brad

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Who has is installed the throttle tamer and what is your experience how it has changed throttle response? I was thinking about one due riding on a bumpy road and the throttle being a little jerky at times at slow speed. Thanks Brad
Did the G2 Tamer. It definitely helps. A worthy upgrade but not a total fix. Put this way, I am not removing it. It definitely helps.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Who has is installed the throttle tamer and what is your experience how it has changed throttle response?
Me and it works. If you do a search you'll find severe threads about the pros can cons of the G2 Throttle Tamer.

In short— I'm a fan. Igofar let me ride is ST with a G2 and one trip around the block sold me on it. I've had mine for a long time and I really like it. It's not a cure all but it helps and it was an instantly noticeable improvement.. It gives more fine-grain control at the low end. Easy to install. An air compressor helps to remove the grip. If I got a new ST it'd be the first thing I'd install.

With time and practice you can get that control without a G2. A member or two modified the OEM plastic throttle tube channel and got a similar improvement. I took a shortcut and it was money well spent. It's a work of art even though you can't see it once installed.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I modified the plastic @ the take up area for the cable , to mimic the profile of the throttle tamer. worked very well. Took longer to get it off and reinstall than it did to modify it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I installed it, and I'm another fan.

With time you learn the fine control, this definitely helps. Each morning I have a two mile long crawl in traffic at a gate and that was where I noticed it first. Having the girl on the back of the bike was where I noticed it second. :rolleyes:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I installed it, and I'm another fan.

With time you learn the fine control, this definitely helps. Each morning I have a two mile long crawl in traffic at a gate and that was where I noticed it first. Having the girl on the back of the bike was where I noticed it second. :rolleyes:
Helps cure Helmet billiards :rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
Having the girl on the back of the bike was where I noticed it second.
Back in high school and for a time afterwards I would induce FI-like low speed response. That had to stop once helmets were mandatory. :rofl1:

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I haven't but guess it would be a little tight. And you might want to insulate the G2 from the grip. I doubt the knurls will damage the grip but the G2 might be a bit of a heat sink for the Oxford and reduce its heat output. And that could make the fit even tighter.

Bike
2010 st1300abs
I was just having a conversation last night which Larry IgoFar about these. My bike, which I bought used in April, has factory handlebar heat which still work. Larry said removal of the handgrips to install the tamer would probably wreck the heater. The fad roe you heaters are no longer available. His advice, because of this, was to just wait until the heaters fail and the get the G2 tamer. I like my heaters in cold weather more than I dislike the throttle snatch, so I think I will wait until the heaters fail before getting a G2Tamer.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I was just having a conversation last night which Larry IgoFar about these. My bike, which I bought used in April, has factory handlebar heat which still work. Larry said removal of the handgrips to install the tamer would probably wreck the heater. The fad roe you heaters are no longer available. His advice, because of this, was to just wait until the heaters fail and the get the G2 tamer. I like my heaters in cold weather more than I dislike the throttle snatch, so I think I will wait until the heaters fail before getting a G2Tamer.
Take your time with pulling off the heated sections and you can save them, I saved mine when I installed a throttle tamer.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Take your time with pulling off the heated sections and you can save them, I saved mine when I installed a throttle tamer.
I saved mine as well when I switched to the Oxford heated grip, and wasn't too hard. They hit the garbage anyways as they were a very poor heat.

I like my heaters in cold weather
I would spend the few bucks and get the Oxford heated grips. The stock on mine were junk. The Oxfords are so good I can rarely use them past a 50% setting.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've had the G2 for over 5 years, and keep forgetting its on there. It works well. I tried, but couldn't get the factory heated grips off, with destroying them. Mine had some sort of contact cement under them, probably dealer installed.

Ride Safe
John

Top Bottom