Minimalist Tour Packing?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've always toured with my ST as a pack-mule. But, loading and unloading tents, bags, stoves... these things tire me as I age. I love being at a quiet camp site after the chaos of a day's ride, but I tire of setting those campsites up sometimes.

So, I'm thinking about minimalist touring now: No camping gear, no advance reservations anywhere. A true leg-over and just GO kind of a tour. :07biker:

So, if you were going to leave for an extended ride, and had to fit everything in the two stock saddlebags (no strapping stuff on the bike). What would you pack?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, pretty easy.. clothes, tire plug kit, air compressor, tools and rain gear... and credit card.. guess that's it.

Pretty much rules out camping if you go that way. Which is fine. Ive never had trouble finding a motel without reservations.

"After the chaos of the days ride" ???????? :eek:

Where you riding? :confused:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
To Joe's suggestions I add a dark and clear shield and a 2nd pair of gloves so when the 1st set gets wet you can switch.
Stash a 2nd key on the bike where you can get at it; but, is not obvious.
A cash stash: I have been in a couple of places that the CC machine was down and I had to use cash.

Oh, I like a pair of shoes/sandals I can wear to get my feet out of the riding boots.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
A cash stash: I have been in a couple of places that the CC machine was down and I had to use cash
Second that, been in restaurants where they don't take cards...good food too.......ff.....BTW, I find a tank bag to be invaluable to hold water bottles, suncreen, lip screen, small bottle of windshield cleaner (CalSci mix), mosquito dope (Minnesota ya know), a few old socks for rags, and paper maps....have fun......

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Two cards - 1 Visa, 1 MC. I have been at places that only accept one of them. And preferably stash one with some cash somewhere on the bike in case you lose your wallet! Clothes that you can wash out in motel sink and they dry quickly - so you'll need a small bottle of clothes detergent (one that doesn't leak). Some motels had washing machines/dryers, some don't. Enough underwear, t-shirts and socks for three days, one extra 'outside' set of clothes in case what you're wearing gets soaked or sweated through. Having said that, I usually put my 'motel' stuff into a small riverbag and strap it to the backseat. It can make a nice backrest if you don't have one. That way when I get where I am going, I just unstrap the bag, throw a cover over the ST and I'm good to go. That makes getting in and out of motels a really quick deal so you're not digging through your saddlebags/trunk trying to figure out what to bring in. Turn your 'dirty' clothes inside out so you know which is which. Also, if you can find some compressor bags (Eagle Creek used to make good ones - sort of like big Ziploc bags), it makes life easier. You put your underwear/t-shirts/socks in one, an extra one is where you put your dirty stuff, and the third one is for sleeping gear, extra outside set of clothes that you hope you don't need. Shaving kit and extra shoes in the bag and you're good.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I could not do it in two stock saddlebags for an extended trip.

It's just the Boy Scout in me saying "Be Prepared."

Good luck!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Big Dog (Big Dog Adventures) has a packing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nERau4O1hA

His rule is no cotton. Take 2 pair of underwear and wash 1 with shampoo every night. They will dry overnight, or at least by the next day. Same with socks. 1 shirt. Wash overnight when needed. 1 pair of shorts with integral underwear, like bathing trunks. (My idea.) Sweat pants if you are going in a cool season. Rubberized or plastic sandals so they can do double duty in the shower. (my idea.) If you need anything else, buy it on the road.

Big Dog is geared a little more towards adventure riding and camping and he takes a lot of stuff you won't need.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
If you have T-shirts and underwear that need throwing away, pack them for the trip and don't worry about bringing them home. If you run out, there's alway a Walmart that sell new ones.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The more you camp the more realize just how unimportant most things you usually take are (not) needed. My bike loaded up three weeks ago for a 4,400 mile trip. I camped 6 nights, had spare shoes and the heated gear-gloves along which are in the bike in this picture. You want to see a minimal camping setup on a bike page T. Padden. All my camp gear goes in one side bag even with the added luxury of a 1/2 size feather pillow included. Tent, ground cloth, hammer, Big Agnes insulated air mattress with air pillow, feather pillow, light sleeping bag, cut down bed sheet, air pump and a spare tent fly cover for use as another blanket or a sun rain shade all in the side bag.

Now if I could only get that locking glove box closed.....but the double Mcd's Styrofoam cups keep the drinks cool for a long time.

Dead Lakes campground Wewahitchka Florida.

Last edited:

thekaz

haz gone feral
I've always toured with my ST as a pack-mule. But, loading and unloading tents, bags, stoves... these things tire me as I age. I love being at a quiet camp site after the chaos of a day's ride, but I tire of setting those campsites up sometimes.

So, I'm thinking about minimalist touring now: No camping gear, no advance reservations anywhere. A true leg-over and just GO kind of a tour. :07biker:

So, if you were going to leave for an extended ride, and had to fit everything in the two stock saddlebags (no strapping stuff on the bike). What would you pack?
20160516_190630.jpg

I have always travelled like that with the ST. Everything I need to take apart or do minor fixes is under/in the rear seat including a tire repair kit and pump. The left saddle bag is RKA liner with clothes, shower bag, tablet, shoes, etc and the right saddle bag is riding gear like heated vest, cooling vest, rain pants, extra pants, two pairs of gloves, plus a first aid kit, water and extra food.
The only thing I am really missing is I really should buy myself another fluke multi-meter as I feel naked fixing bikes without one LOL
When I do camp only the tent,air pad,stove,axe and sleeping bag are strapped on but its a pretty small bag :D

Bike
VStrom 650
Out of everything above i think the old clothing you can chuck after a few days is spot on and definitely spare gloves. V
That way you'll have no/little washing for a week or so and there is nothing that feels so bad as an cold wet pair of gloves to start the day. Not to mention the linings pulled inside out with the wet.
Enjoy your trip but i would also add i think you'll need a top box too if your travelling with a pillion.
Upt'North.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The more you camp the more realize just how unimportant most things you usually take are (not) needed. My bike loaded up three weeks ago for a 4,400 mile trip. I camped 6 nights, had spare shoes and the heated gear-gloves along which are in the bike in this picture. You want to see a minimal camping setup on a bike page T. Padden. All my camp gear goes in one side bag even with the added luxury of a 1/2 size feather pillow included. Tent, ground cloth, hammer, Big Agnes insulated air mattress with air pillow, feather pillow, light sleeping bag, cut down bed sheet, air pump and a spare tent fly cover for use as another blanket or a sun rain shade all in the side bag.

Nice tent. Which one is it?

Have you ever had issues with carrying it in a side bag? With the Texas and ST heat combined, my tent became a throw away as the waterproof coating became gooey, turning the tent into a sticky mess. Am carrying it in a strap on now (which I found found more practical on rainy days anyways).

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Packing for ONE? How can you not fit everything into your saddlebags lol This is a pic of my wife in Glacier on a two week tour of Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming and the bike is packed for TWO..one of them a woman.

I do have a small trunk and tankbag and we strap our rolled rain gear to the top of the trunk where it is accessible if (when lol) it rains and wont get anything else wet when we take it off.

1 helmet, dedicated riding jacket, pants, gloves and boots each that we wore every day. Each had 3 pair of sink washable shirts, shorts and socks (wear 1 under dedicated riding gear, the other 2 are rolled tightly into individual zip lock gallon storage bags...wash in sink in evening, wring, roll in towel and step on it to push moisture out, hang up, dry by morning ). I thin sweatshirt and sweatpants apiece to do triple duty as outerwear over tee or polo shirt if out walking, sleepwear if chilly or an extra warming layer under motorcycle gear if necessary. 1 pair Cabela's hiking pants with zip off legs double as dress pants and shorts. 1 polo shirt apiece for evening wear. 1 swimsuit each, 1 pair of gym shoes each (in trunk). 1 extra pair of gloves apiece (in trunk). Everything gets rolled tightly and packed into individual zip lock bags bags. Then you have toothpaste/toothbrush/deodorant/razor/meds etc in their own baggies. I carry a small rag, water spritzer for cleaning shields, flashlight/some fuses etc in pockets of fairing.Tire repair kit under seat. Hid a spare key on bike. Credit cards, some cash, registration/insurance card, drivers lics, AAA card in wallet. and some cash. Paper maps, ST-Owners Ran list, and list of Honda dealers in trunk.

If TWO people can pack for two weeks (or really ANY length of trip, the gear is the same even if you were out a month) then 1 person should have room to spare. Probably wouldn't need a trunk in that case.

Beautiful picture, Mr. Ferret,...inspires one to start stuffing ziploc bags & GO!...me, riding solo,...when I grow weary of the set-up/take-down tasks of tent/footprint/air-mattress; nesting cookware/stove/food prep: I pack a seatbag with a US Marine bivy which is waterproof; a bluefoam roll-up pad; down mummy bag;a pocket sized gas canister stove with single pint pan for hot tea/coffee; sleep on either groundsheet or more likely on picnic table in campground; and make short grocery stops in dairy aisles & produce sections...sure cut down hassle of set-up/take-down of tent & full array of cooking gear...plus, I get to experience the pleasure of being in a full thunderstorm fully dry in my military grade bivy coccoon on a picnic table...priceless!:03biker::tent3:

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I've been on my ST 1300 for almost two years now and I put very little in the saddlebags, one has a pair of shoes and a half cover in it, the other has my air pump and tire plugs some gloves and a fleece jacket. my trunk will be gone soon so I've always tried to fit everything in my dry bag

Bike
2000 ST1100
I tour alone so the pillion is available for a bag containing the camp equipment. I do sometimes like to camp one or two nights. This remains on the bike when I motel. it contains sleeping bag, air mattress, 6x9 tarp. it also functions as a back rest. Yeah, I'm gettin' on in age also.
Two saddle bags: one for clothes, some of them of the old and disposable variety for near the end of the trip. Wash a few at the motel in the early part of the trip. The other contains a few emergency things: compressor, flat tire kit, first aid kit, toilet kit (tooth brush etc.), camp stove, fuel, utensils, canteen, etc.
Top box: mostly empty. Maps, rain gear, shoes, and room for the helmet to be locked inside when not attending the bike.
Tank bag: Alternate face shield, GPS, MP3 player, sun glasses, kick stand shoe, glass cleaner, pencil and note book, hearing protection.

That doesn't sound minimal, but your should see what I take when I ride the sidecar rig. :rofl1:
Jim

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
"After the chaos of the days ride" ???????? :eek:

Where you riding? :confused:
Sir: I ride where the roads amble and the pie is plentiful. :)

If you have T-shirts and underwear that need throwing away, pack them for the trip and don't worry about bringing them home. If you run out, there's alway a Walmart that sell new ones.
Sheer genius.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
When I got my 52L Maxia I thought I had more than enough space, then I got a 70L dry bag for overflow and this seems to have done the trick ...... for now.

Some of the pack rat syndrome is seasonal. Spring and fall there's heated gear and/or storage space to decant layers as the day gets warmer + tools, spare gloves, rain gear, running shoes, etc...... Prime summer months temps are more consistently warm and I have fewer layers to haul around.

I've always liked the Pacific Coast saddle bag/trunk system. Having the whole rear end of the bike designed to hug the mechanicals with integrated vs. externally attached storage seems to be a no brainer with many advantages IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom