Minimalist Tour Packing?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jonz said:
I carry a single pair of travel underwear which pack small.
A thong??? :eek:4:

Otherwise there are some excellent ideas there. I live in Cool-Max shirts and should also consider a heated jacket liner. I usually wear above the ankle boots and have been thinking about something a little taller with covered laces or a zipper.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Y'know... It's not that I don't want to camp - it's still my preference. But the tent and sleeping pad alone can replace an entire rear-seat passenger.

The hammock suggestion would be utterly minimalist, but something about it freaks me out a bit. I'd need to research it more. My first thought is all the thunderstorms that have nailed me whilst in my hard-to-pack tent overnight...

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
New to my ST, are the saddle bags truly waterproof? I have aftermarket nylon bags that are an "exact fit". But would I still need to pack clothing in dry bags inside those?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
New to my ST, are the saddle bags truly waterproof?
Only one way to find out! :shower1:

Myh first ST did let a minor amount of water in one bag. I think it was coming up from below. Probably somebody opverloaded the bag and stretched out the hinges. The vurrent ST both bags are holding tight.
The Seals could be good or bad, the joints may or may not align. Only you and the shadow know!!

The nylon bags you put on the inside are not going to be waterproof for long if water does get in.

So get out there and get wet! Better to find out while close to home then 500 miles or more away.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Y'know... It's not that I don't want to camp
LOL I don't! BTDT and I'm camped out. It was fun then not now. I camp at a Best Western. Unpacking and packing up take long enough without setting up camp.

To those who like to rough it congratulations. My idea of roughing it is no wifi. :rofl1:

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
are the saddle bags truly waterproof?
I have rode through massive amounts of water and downpours and have never had a drop of water on my saddle bags or top box. I also have the full inserts and I carry garbage bags for the just in case time, but have never needed to wrap anything yet.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've ridden through some pretty serious rain as well and my panniers have always stayed dry. The only time a little water gets in is when I open them after such rain.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Y'know... It's not that I don't want to camp - it's still my preference. But the tent and sleeping pad alone can replace an entire rear-seat passenger.

The hammock suggestion would be utterly minimalist, but something about it freaks me out a bit. I'd need to research it more. My first thought is all the thunderstorms that have nailed me whilst in my hard-to-pack tent overnight...
I have two tents I ride with. One for minimalist trips on my dirt bike weighs 3 lbs. The other for dual sport trips where bulk and weight is not so critical is 6 lbs and sleeps two people if they're friendly but I use it by myself. 3 lb sleeping bag good to below freezing and a 1 lb air mattress that goes with it. Even the entire bigger setup packs easily into a medium dry bag. Before I got old and soft, I used to get by with a 3/4 Thermarest (< 1 lb), a 1 lb bivy sac, and a 2 lb down bag sometimes supplemented with a small tarp/groundsheet and some mosquito mesh. I even tried just sleeping out in my riding gear and helmet in the bivy sac in the mountains but that was a little too hard core for me.

Keeping the size down is more about what you're willing to do without both for your camping and riding gear.

I toss and turn while sleeping, and sleep on my stomach and side so a hammock doesn't work for me.

For hardcore trips, I get by with no pot/stove and just carry Clif bars or something similar. My minimalist cookset is a small titanium pot that doubles as a mug and a small alcohol stove. I like coffee in the morning. Next up in size is the MSR Windburner stove/pot combo that I will carry on dual sport trips. The isobutane stove is so darn convenient - I can have a hot cuppa coffee in less than 2 minutes.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #

I have two tents I ride with. One for minimalist trips on my dirt bike weighs 3 lbs. The other for dual sport trips where bulk and weight is not so critical is 6 lbs and sleeps two people if they're friendly but I use it by myself. 3 lb sleeping bag good to below freezing and a 1 lb air mattress that goes with it. Even the entire bigger setup packs easily into a medium dry bag. Before I got old and soft, I used to get by with a 3/4 Thermarest (< 1 lb), a 1 lb bivy sac, and a 2 lb down bag sometimes supplemented with a small tarp/groundsheet and some mosquito mesh. I even tried just sleeping out in my riding gear and helmet in the bivy sac in the mountains but that was a little too hard core for me.

Keeping the size down is more about what you're willing to do without both for your camping and riding gear.

I toss and turn while sleeping, and sleep on my stomach and side so a hammock doesn't work for me.

For hardcore trips, I get by with no pot/stove and just carry Clif bars or something similar. My minimalist cookset is a small titanium pot that doubles as a mug and a small alcohol stove. I like coffee in the morning. Next up in size is the MSR Windburner stove/pot combo that I will carry on dual sport trips. The isobutane stove is so darn convenient - I can have a hot cuppa coffee in less than 2 minutes.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
My bags have never leaked and I have ridden in some hard all day downpours. I also have the aftermarket bags that fit inside of the hard bags, plus as noted above everything gets rolled up and packed in individual labeled zip lock bags. So my stuff is not likely to get wet no matter what lol. Me on the other hand, even with good rain gear I have been wet numerous times.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
So I smeared a little Syl-Glyd on the rubber gaskets and hit the bags with a hose from all angles and not a drop. I guess some leak and some don't. I consider myself lucky.

Nice to know I don't need to put my nylon bags inside a plastic bag inside the saddle bags.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I travel alone, and look forward to a nice clean motel bed at day's end. Kudos to you campers, but that ain't me.
I pack all my clothes in this Dry Bag, which I strap across the pillion seat. 100% waterproof, and it makes a decent backrest too. Has quick-release straps for easy removal.
At the motel, I unsnap the bag and carry it inside. No need to unpack side bags, or topbox. Highly recommended, for solo riders:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-35l-roll-top-dry-bag

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I guess the reason I am looking for input is because I'm feeling a pull to try a different type of touring for once. In the end, I think my next long trip will be along the Atlas/Wallet/Cell Phone/Flashlight ('Cause you ALWAYS have to bring a flashlight) kind of trip.

I just know that at the end of my first night in a hotel, I'll be longing for my tent again!

But... I'm older now. Maybe my old self will learn to appreciate a shower, TV and restaurant meal over the stars, a can of Spaghettios and a good book in a Kermit chair.... Maybe.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour

that's why you add this to the pack... in the bag it's the size of a large orange.

winter_tarp.jpg

or you could just go with this... although the top isn't waterproof so you would still need the tarp along just in case.

Hammock - closed up.jpg

Bike
R1200rt
Only one way to find out! :shower1:

Myh first ST did let a minor amount of water in one bag. I think it was coming up from below. Probably somebody opverloaded the bag and stretched out the hinges. The vurrent ST both bags are holding tight.
The Seals could be good or bad, the joints may or may not align. Only you and the shadow know!!

The nylon bags you put on the inside are not going to be waterproof for long if water does get in.

So get out there and get wet! Better to find out while close to home then 500 miles or more away.
just because it didn't get wet this time doesn't mean it will be dry next time . Always pack clothes and sleeping bags inside a plastic bag. Zip lock bags work great for sox and under wear. Cheap insurance.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
just because it didn't get wet this time doesn't mean it will be dry next time . Always pack clothes and sleeping bags inside a plastic bag. Zip lock bags work great for sox and under wear. Cheap insurance.
I'll take my chances now. A one night trip to a laundry mat drying out my undies is better then a hunndred times of putting things in and out of plastic bags. Now if I was rafting or kayaking.. different story.
I did once make a trip to a laundry mat to dry my sleeping bag after I did a canoe float and came back to find the rain-fly on my tent was not tied down quite right.

Top Bottom