Time to go to the darkside

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I used version one of the V12 and liked it. I think I got 25k+ miles out of it. . It's a good priced tire to see if you like the darkside. The only downside I recall is a fairly soft sidewall that you would feel twitch when you got on the throttle exiting a corner.

PS My 2004 ST did require some shaving on the swingarm to get it to clear but my 2005 did not. There seems to be some variability in the casting.
PPS After trying the V12 I tried the GYTT. No more twitch.

Last edited:
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
I put the General Altimax RT43 all-season 205/50 R17 on my '07 ST1300. I think I'm the first to try this tire. It fits very nicely in there with 3/16 to 1/4" clearance at the tightest place. I run it at 29-ish PSI. I also did the 130/70-18 Battlax BT45 on the front, which I run around 40 PSI. Handling is good, but it has the little twitch on the transition from brake to hard acceleration around low-speed corners. I really feel more confident on this set-up around high-speed corners. Never going back.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
After mulling it over for a while, I just dropped the hammer and purchased a tripletred. However, not being sure about wether or not I will like this set up, I purchased a new take-off, which saved me some dosh. Should arrive next week. 89 bucks to my door. The missus still isn't sold on the idea, but hey, I'm the one driving....... I hear they have cookies on the Darkside. I'll bring the milk.

http://www.bestusedtires.com/ They came highly recommended by a couple of guys I know who have used them in the past. Lots of choices in the 205-50-17 sizes, not many TT's though.

Front tire is still wearing well, Michelin Pilot I believe, but, if I like the way the new rear works, I may go double. Found a local place to mount it up for me. What do you recommend for balancing? beads? or actually have it high speed balanced at the local moto shop?

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
rear : GYTT at 32 psi , front : Battlax BT-45 at 42 psi , balanced at dealer + CounterAct Balancing beads to fine-tune continually.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Found a local place to mount it up for me. What do you recommend for balancing? beads? or actually have it high speed balanced at the local moto shop?
The last time I paid someone to mount they said they couldn't balance. I agreed to the terms and went to the beads. Never looking back on any of the decisions (except why did I pay for mounting so many tires... could have would have paid for the changer with them).

I looked at Counteract and Dyna. Could not make up my mind till I read a rant form the owner of Dyna going off on the competition. That made up my mind there; along with the fact that Counteract says re-use them all you want, Dyna says only one re-use.

I've put beads in my trailer tires and I'll put them in my car when I change them next time; too. No more paying for tire changes!!

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Pulled the rear wheel off today in preparation, two broken bolts on the left muffler clamp. According to the manual you can pull the brake stay bolt with the left muffler on. LIES! It's all lies I tell ya. But, when I'm done, you will be able to, I'm gonna trim that shield on the left muffler, it's stamped almost like they want you to......
The broken bolts are no issue for me, I made money for years removing broken bolts from all kinds of stuff.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
The last time I paid someone to mount they said they couldn't balance. I agreed to the terms and went to the beads. Never looking back on any of the decisions (except why did I pay for mounting so many tires... could have would have paid for the changer with them).

I looked at Counteract and Dyna. Could not make up my mind till I read a rant form the owner of Dyna going off on the competition. That made up my mind there; along with the fact that Counteract says re-use them all you want, Dyna says only one re-use.

I've put beads in my trailer tires and I'll put them in my car when I change them next time; too. No more paying for tire changes!!
I went with the CounterAct beads for 2 reasons , the Dynabeads are ceramic and chew up the inside of the tire , causing debris , Counteract doesn't , CounterAct beads static cling in place when you stop . Dyna beads just fall to the bottom and have to re-balance again . At least that is what my research , comparing products , indicated back then . I have them in 3 MCs & 2 cars. I since read that RVs , trucks , etc. were using them too.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Pulled the rear wheel off today in preparation, two broken bolts on the left muffler clamp. According to the manual you can pull the brake stay bolt with the left muffler on. LIES! It's all lies I tell ya. But, when I'm done, you will be able to...
Once you get the bolts replaced... don't tighten them up to spec. I left mine just a little loose so I can rotate my mufflers down and out of the way without ever touching the clamps. Still tight enough that 99.999% of the exhaust gases go through the exhaust, but loose enough to rotate.

For the broken bots in the clamps, if the clamps are salvageable. I used a Dremel to cut the welds off the nuts that are there from OEM. Then replaced that combination with regular stainless nuts/washers/bolts. If they get corroded and locked up again I can replace them again re-using the clamps. The welded on nuts seem like a good idea... until you break a bolt. But I coated them with a good anti-sieze, stuff from a can of Caterpillar goop my dad has left over from the 50's. Never seized up yet, still viscous liquid.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I found out why they broke, I should take a picture, Someone added a nut above the weld nut, so when I hit them with the gun, they just sheared. I'm guessing someone in the past stripped the weld nuts, so removal should be easy. If they are stripped, I'll cut the original weld nuts off and tack weld another nut in its place. Just so I can remove them without having to put a wrench on the back.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Well, I got home today and my TT is sitting on the porch! I know what I'm doing at lunch tommorow......... get the cookies ready, I'm coming to the Darkside.

It took a couple of weeks, dealing with the company, different billing and shipping address's, stuff being loaded on the wrong truck.......... but the tire is as advertised, looks like it had maybe a hundred miles on it.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Tire is mounted, and back in place. The place I originally was mount to have mount it reneged on their word and refused. It's illegal they said. The rim isn't designed for a car tire bead they said.....yadda yadda yadda(this a a place I spend a LOT of money at) Screw 'em, I found a small place in town that popped it right on, charged me 5 bucks. Nice guys, they'll get more of my business in the future, possibly even my commercial business(that's about 20 tires a year right there) if I can get a deal on pricing.
1st impressions: Man, that sucker is wide...... Hopefully I'll get it wrapped up this afternoon after work and take it out for a spin.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Ok, all back together, but I have a rub, right side, seems like the very edge of the tread, and just slightly, and only in about a 12 inch section, possibly from the tire being stored? Run with it, or take it off and hit the swingarm with the sander?

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Okay, pulling out of the driveway was interesting, I have a gravel drive, and after the last storm it's pretty rutted.....I almost quit, right then and there. But I persevered, and got out onto the road. First thing I noticed, the bike wants to stay upright, counter steering is definitely a good skill to have learned, as was said before, this is not for newbies, you really need to be an experienced rider. After about 10 miles I felt something wasn't right, so I added air to the rear, to about 36lbs, and brought my front up to 42, this felt a bit better to me. The next 90 miles were a mix of country, 4 lanes, and highway. I did notice a tendency for the bike to try to follow the camber of the road, to be expected when you realize your tire profile is basically just flat, I adjusted to this pretty quickly. Cornering....again, counter steering is a must, and I've been off the bike for a while, so it took a few miles for the reflexes to take over and then cornering became more relaxed for me, corners got tighter and tighter the more the odometer racked up. No balance issues from the tire as mounted so I lucked out there. Overall, I think I did pretty well for my first foray into this evil en devour.......
Am I sold? No, but I remain impartial, I need to log a few more miles first. Was it as bad as some nay-sayers proclaim? No, but there is a learning curve. Did I burst into flames and crash in a huge explosion? No, that didn't happen either. Did it feel weird? Yup, it did, but so did losing my virginity.....
The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow, and I'm off work, I think a trip to the coast is in order.........

And to those that say this can't be done safely, two words. Wright Brothers. (that came to me after so many people told me, in the outside world, that it won't fit, it won't ride, it'll blow off the rim.....etc etc....) Unhappily, the missus has made up her mind that it's dangerous, and refuses to ride with me now.......Oh well...maybe I can add that driver backrest after all.....

Top Bottom