Tire temp?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I just installed my first set of TPMS and while it does not show Tire temp it will show a alarm if the tire temp goes over a preset number. Anybody have a idea of what I should set that alarm number to?

Last edited:
Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
I just installed my first set of TPMS and while it does not show Tire temp it will show a alarm if the tire temp goes over a preset number. Anybody have a idea of what I should set that alarm number to?
Since there is no way that is actually measuring tire temp, it must be a "high limit" of the pressure (which of course, directly correlates to the temperature - Boyle's Law). I would set it about 5 PSI above the maximum rated pressure for that tire. (That is because the max pressure is specified "cold" - to allow for a slight increase as it gets hotter)
Then if you see that alarm go off, you better check it out!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm surprised your TPMS monitors the temperature and has an alarm for that. The two that I have monitor PRESSURE, and show the temp as well. The alarms go off on high or low pressure. With my pressure set to 42 cold, I've seen 51 psi while riding on a hot day on the rear wheel. Since the temp is in a smaller, hard to read font, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that, but it is easily 10 deg above ambient temp on hot days. I'm only monitoring the rear, not having changed the front since I bought the system.

Didn't the instructions have suggestions for set points? As I always say, when all else fails, read the instructions.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Sounds like a Tiregard TPMS? I had that system. On it, T and P are each monitored separately--both T and P alarm thresholds can be independently set.

With the TireGard (or similar sensor that replace the valve stem cap), the T sensors are at best measuring the air temperature that bathes each wheel--they're not really showing tire temperatures (ie, the sensor/transmitter is not inside the tire/rim). With mine, I'd generally see ambient temperature or a few degrees higher on the front tire T sensor and ~5-10 degrees higher temperatures of the rear wheel (as it is bathed in some exhaust and heat shed off the engine).

I disabled all T and P 'alarms' as I wouldn't see, hear, nor feel the vibration from the unit and such alarms would just chew down the display's battery. Instead, I always had tire P displayed so I could glance at the display whenever I had the notion to do so. Once in a while out of curiousity I'd toggle to see temperatures, those being mostly useless.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I recently install TPM with temperature alarms. I set max temp at 48, but will change to 52.

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Thank you all who replied so far. But no answer so far. Unit dose not have a "high pressure alarm" but dose have "high temp" alarm. No "disable" option.
Instructions did not have a suggestion but the stock setting was for 140 Fahrenheit. No temp display, only showing pressure alternating between front and back every two seconds. I will try and post name and model later but it is an off-brand.
Does anybody have a temperature display and know what usually runs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bike
VStrom 650
From my distant past i can remember that 10 degrees f increase in temp equals about a 1 psi increase. That temp being ambient temp, which makes sense because if you check your tyres on a hot day after setting the pressures on a cold day the pressure will be high.
The tyre pressure, again from memory can increase over 5 psi quite quickly from a cold start.
This is obviously why it is so important to check pressures when cold.
For something black and round they cause a lot of discussion.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I can understand wanting to be warned when tire pressure goes too low because of a puncture. But I've ridden in every kind of hot weather imaginable, for several hundred thousand miles, and not once did it ever occur to me that my tires might be too hot. I'd set it to the highest possible temp setting and forget about it, but that's just me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I set mine 55 max pressure (rear) and 151F. Tire pressure works well but the sensor that fits on the valve stem isn't very effective. I set it at 151F but it will never read even close.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I run an internal sensor, running about 28° and 40° over ambient (front and rear respective). Amazing how much a little water on the road (rain) will cool the tires down.
Pressure climbed 3 psi in the front and 6 psi in the rear. That's after a 40 mile commute on slab.

Long days on hot asphalt going for 1,000 mile days I have seen 150° on the rear.

My external sensor's track pressure good, the temperature, not so much.

Top Bottom