Same battery since '08, maybe longer

How is this possible? My 2004 ST was purchased used in 2008, and the seller said he had replaced the battery but couldn't remember exactly when. While prepping the bike for sale, I thought about the battery and checked my records, and I've never touched it. It doesn't get ridden a lot, and sees a tender sporadically. I'm going to replace it just because, but I think that lifespan is amazing...

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
How is this possible? My 2004 ST was purchased used in 2008, and the seller said he had replaced the battery but couldn't remember exactly when. While prepping the bike for sale, I thought about the battery and checked my records, and I've never touched it. It doesn't get ridden a lot, and sees a tender sporadically. I'm going to replace it just because, but I think that lifespan is amazing...
I have always had at least 8 years from my Yuasa batteries. Frequent battery tender use helps greatly in this regard.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Out of curiosity can I ask a weird question? When you turn your bike off do you do it using the key or the kill switch?

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have always had at least 8 years from my Yuasa batteries. Frequent battery tender use helps greatly in this regard.
Ditto, I replaced my OEM Yuasa after 9 seasons. Hadn't died, did proactively. Second Yuasa still going strong. I think excessive heat kills batteries and SD has a fairly moderate climate.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I just ordered another one for my 07. I replaced the first one after 5 years. It never let me down. But the clock started to reset every time I cut the bike off. The one in it now has been in my bike for 5 years now. I don't know how old it is. It is one of the ones a guy was selling that came with the generators he was selling. Several of us bought them for cheap. I am planning a big trip out west in a about 4 weeks. I thought I would just go ahead and replace it. I ordered a Motocross YTZ14S. It is a Yuasa. $115.00. Take a look and you will see they are the same battery.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Same here.....2008 ST1300 with original Yuasa battery. On the first couple of rides this year, I noticed the clock had reset and the it turns over slower than normal. I checked the voltage at rest (12.4 volts) and then while cranking. It went down to 7 volts while cranking so a new one is on the way. I'm going with a "Motocross" battery this time, made by Yuasa. It's about $100 cheaper but still costing me around $180

Bike
ST1300 - Black
OK - wow
I'm for no good reason, in the other end of the spectrum.
I have a 2010 ST, purchased in Feb. 2012, within 6 month I had to replace the battery, dealer most likely lied, that the battery was new, but I didn't see it done so that's one.
I find that a new battery last about 18 month in my bike. The last (4th) battery went in last July 2016, went dead just before a trip.
I used to buy the Yuasa battery, but since they don't last, that's $125. to $150 and more , depends on your needing it now or not.
My last was a scorpio off brand for $60, so far all seem the same, 10 month and counting.
To answer that 1st Q. - when that bike is in the garage, it 90% of the time in a battery tender.

I have learn to prepared for a dead battery at anytime.

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
OK - wow
I have a 2010 ST, purchased in Feb. 2012, within 6 month I had to replace the battery, dealer most likely lied, that the battery was new, but I didn't see it done so that's one.
I find that a new battery last about 18 month in my bike. The last (4th) battery went in last July 2016, went dead just before a trip.
I used to buy the Yuasa battery, but since they don't last, that's $125. to $150 and more , depends on your needing it now or not.
My last was a scorpio off brand for $60, so far all seem the same, 10 month and counting.
To answer that 1st Q. - when that bike is in the garage, it 90% of the time in a battery tender.

Wow.....that's certainly unusual. If I didn't get at least 5 yrs from a battery, I'd never buy it again.

Have you had your alternator checked? Your system might be straining the battery all the time when it shouldn't be. That would be important to me to make sure the charging system is working properly.

st1300doug

Bought my '06 new- the OEM Yuasa went to 2012. Then bought another Yuasa.....it went to 2015, only three years. BUT...it was one of those deals from EVAP on here; out of a new Honda generator. Only $65.00 So, I suspect it may have old pates. Now on a $38 BatteryMax that works great. I figure with what those Yuasa's cost.......if I get three years out of the BatteryMax.......I'm ahead over that $130-160 for the Yuasa.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
I added a volt meter ( digital gauge ).
When running - it's 14.0 to 14.2, but that's wired to the front wire harness.
The big thing I see, is when I start the bike.
the volts drop about 1.5 to 2.5 volts, when starting, other then that all seems normal.
But I am keeping a eye on it, something will show up one day and it hit me, what it is or not.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
$65.00 in years 10 years for batteries. I think I will stick with what has never failed to start for me. I am going to put the one in my ST in my DR650 and see how long it last. It is a stronger battery than what it calls for. And when it goes, I'll put a Motocross in it if I still own it.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I added a volt meter ( digital gauge ).
When running - it's 14.0 to 14.2, but that's wired to the front wire harness.
The big thing I see, is when I start the bike.
the volts drop about 1.5 to 2.5 volts, when starting, other then that all seems normal.
But I am keeping a eye on it, something will show up one day and it hit me, what it is or not.
One or two volts is way too low , 10 volts would be low. There is either a major draw on your battery when you turn the key on , what kind of Farkle's do you have , or you are not getting enough amperage from your battery to the starter. Start checking your battery cables both negative and positive, plus your starter solenoid.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Dave..David - That is something I didn't do. Check the cable at the alternator.

The only big draw farkle off the top of my head is the front Led headlight, but I'll have to check, I think they draw less amp, then the standard bulbs.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
OK - wow

I don't know if your tender is the same as Optimates over here but they do tend to fry batteries if left on semi permanently. I've had a couple of mates who have left them on all winter and found batteries buggered in the spring. I prefer the occasional charge but on a tender maybe once every two weeks or so. This works for me, i will have to check if there is a date on my battery, i know it's branded Honda, but it can't be the original?
Upt'North.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
When we moved from California we noted a change in battery behavior.
We had owned cars and the batteries never (really almost) any problems.
Here in AZ batteries last 2 years, if you try to push it you'll be replacing your alternator as well.

Heat...

STOC #
My OEM battery (Yuasa) lasted 11 years in my 1995 ST1100. My second Yuasa lasted 9 years.
I have always kept them on a Deltran charger.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My experience is that AGM Scorpion Batteries for the ST1300 are inadequate. Leave the headlights on for about 2-3 minutes with the engine off and see what I mean. There is a ton of information on the "battery" section of this forum. In a nutshell, ST1300s are "under batteried" due to the size of the battery box. I finally went with Lithium, got a lithium specific tender and added a LED voltmeter. No problems since but I keep an eye on things.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Jmcarruth : That's very interesting, 1st I heard of that solution.

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Top Bottom