Curious Smoke/Steam at Start Up After Sitting For Several Days?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Here's a head scratcher.....when I fire up my '03 ABS after it has been sitting (covered, in the garage) I get an electrical-wire-melting smell and a billowing of steam-like smoke within seconds of startup from the left side, and it continues for up to 10-15 seconds then dissipates. Never happens when starting warm. Could condensation be forming somewhere?

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Head Scratcher: A steam-smoke billows at ignition then disappears?

When I fire up my cold 2003 ABS that's been sitting in the garage for a few days (covered), I get a thin smokey steam that billows out of the left side within 3-5 seconds of ignition, and lasts up to 10-15 seconds. It has a smell hinting of something electrical, yet everything on the bike works perfectly. I cannot see any damage or scorching or discoloration at or near the effected area. Could there be some condensation forming somewhere? I tend to put the cover on as soon as I get in the garage, before the bike cools off.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where does the smoke come from? Exhaust or near the forks?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Electrical wire melting smell is different than anti-freeze. The former is not a portent of good things to come. The latter is not so serious since leaks at the hose clamp seem to be endemic to the engine. Regardless, unless said smoke is coming from the exhaust (maybe a blown head gasket if so?) the engine is cold and will remain so for a while - only the exhaust header gets hot quickly. My guess is that coolant is dripping onto the exhaust pipes. Perhaps from the overflow tank hose connection?

Too bad you can't post a smell on the website. But wait a couple of years and that too may come to pass.

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
The 'smoke" is more of a wispy steam, not thick at all and very porous looking. Could be the coolant as I've never smelled burned coolant before.

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Is your bike cover contacting the hot muffler when you put it on the still hot bike? Maybe that is the plastic smell.
That was my initial thought, so I made sure the cover didn't come down far enough to touch the mufflers. And, there is no no sign of melt on the cover.

Bike
VStrom 650
You're right it is a head scratcher.
The coolant will not being turned to steam in that amount of time anywhere other than in the cylinders. Will it?
If something electrical is burning it has to be on the starter circuit if it subsequently clears, doesn't it.
Keep us posted. But i don't think hot coolant smells anything like an electrical burn personally.
Upt'North.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I had a slight valve cover leak which gave me smoke at start up. Not enough a leak to drip on the floor

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've been around enough smoking electrical wire(s) and coolant links to know there's a big difference.

If smell 'electrical smoke' I'd check it out thoroughly ASAP. But I'd be surprise if it were electrical since it seems to repeat every time your bike sits.

And unless it's a poorly wired accessory repeated 'smoking' should have blown a fuse by now. You want to find out who let the magic smoke out ASAP before it's all gone (especially if you're away from home).

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Did it warrant a trip to the shop?
I had the valve covers off inspecting the valve clearances per service manual and neglected to use any sealant replacing the valve covers. I went back in with a couple dabs of quality RTV on the half moons of the gaskets.

Top Bottom