Tip over tale....... my # 3

Bike
ST1300 - Black
I was out one summer night 2016.
Running the back road of Long Island.
It was late, I was out for a ride, blow off some steam to say. Having fun, but being safe at the same time.
Heading home I felt I was getting tired, I was coming to the end of the last curvy road. I come to the end, there a stop sign there, so I put on the brakes, slow to a stop.
I went to put my left foot down, but by the time my foot should of touch the ground, I realize the motorcycle was tipping the other way, know that it was going over, I build off to the right.

Now 1st drop to the right, the other 2 too the left.

This trunk stops, girl in passenger seat, ask if I was ok.
Yes I replied just a little embarrassed.
She asked if I needed help.
Being older and smarter I said yes.
Her boy friend get out to help me, I get to the downed side, get into position to pick the bike up, to do the heave lifting myself.
On the count of 3.
OK 1 -- 2 --
The bike was up. This guy with one hand did 90% of the lifting from other side of bike.
And I think he did it one handed too.

I just needed a little help.
Just one those things you needed to be there to believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steven631
Bike
ST1300 - Black
Thinking about it, that #3, but I'm up to 4.

The 4th was in a BBQ place in Tennessee. The parking lot was all the loose grey gravel.
Was fine driving on and parking, but when I got on and tried to back up, that lasted for about 2 feet, when gravity took over.

Another one to the left.
But that was backing up.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes grasshopper, tip overs are a problem. I'm a master at dropping the bike - grease, gravel, potholes, off camber turns, etc. But, I'm getting a lot better by scouting first, circling parking lots and gas stations, and being very very careful where I stop.

My favorite tip over happened with my first bike, a Triumph Tiger 650 back in 1969. It had chrome tip over bars attached to the front down tubes. i stopped at a border crossing on my way from London to Finland. The customs person was a gorgeous blonde. As I reached for my passport, the bike started tipping toward her booth, and my pant leg got caught between the tip over guard and the 'toll' booth. I was trapped. I could not get enough leverage to budge the bike, and i could only look up into her amused, blue blue eyes until someone from the adjoining booth came to help me up. After that, nothing even comes close in the embarrassment department.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yes grasshopper, tip overs are a problem. I'm a master at dropping the bike - grease, gravel, potholes, off camber turns, etc. But, I'm getting a lot better by scouting first, circling parking lots and gas stations, and being very very careful where I stop.

My favorite tip over happened with my first bike, a Triumph Tiger 650 back in 1969. It had chrome tip over bars attached to the front down tubes. i stopped at a border crossing on my way from London to Finland. The customs person was a gorgeous blonde. As I reached for my passport, the bike started tipping toward her booth, and my pant leg got caught between the tip over guard and the 'toll' booth. I was trapped. I could not get enough leverage to budge the bike, and i could only look up into her amused, blue blue eyes until someone from the adjoining booth came to help me up. After that, nothing even comes close in the embarrassment department.
That is a great tale - it would only have been improved if you had landed in her lap. I can imagine though, the embarrassment of thinking, "geee - what a pretty lady" and then dumping your ride half into her workplace.

OP
OP
Steven631
Bike
ST1300 - Black
:1st::1st:That's a good tale. (SMSW)

As for scouting, something I do too.
Parking = flat spot or park the nose up hill, to make backing up just release the brake slowly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom