Question about current riser blocks

Hello Everyone. I'm looking at purchasing a '05 1300. It has some a handlebar riser already installed. I do not know the brand. It appeared to be approximately 1" tall It did look like a solid piece from one handlebar to the next, so perhaps its the heli bars. I'm not sure. Coming from a '98 nighthawk 750, the ST handlebars still seemed low to me, and more sport bike like. The ST handlebars also seemed to be narrow, and closer together. I later verified, that my handlebars, from center of grip, to center of grip, is 25". The ST is 22.75". I'm wondering if this is a function of the bar riser, or it is just what it is with this bike, and the bars are narrower. I prefer my 25".

I did a bit of research on this site, and came up with seeing that Heli bars has a gen III riser. Cost is a bit spendy, at $200 for the model with power and the ram mount ball. It looks like these bars may be more up my alley though, with a 2" rise, and 2" backwards. Not sure if it will do anything with the narrow bars though.

Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The handle bars on the ST are mounted to a plate. This plate is not visible when the handle bars are mounted to it. The width and angle of the bars are in a fixed location on this plate. All of the risers on the market simply mount between this plate and the top of the triple tree. I have the simple spacers on my bike like you are describing on yours. They only give you Rise. Some spacers (risers) also offset the plate closer toward the rider. These can make raising the fuel tank for airbox service a little more complicated. Heli-bars makes adjustable handlebars that replace your existing handlebars and you can change all of the angles and the spread. Very pricey though. You also have to watch how far you try to move the position of the handlebars as trying to move them to far starts causing issues with cable length for the controls.

The riding position of a ST is VERY different than a Nighthawk as the bikes are designed for different styles of riding. Give yourself a little time on the ST before you start changing things. You may grow to like them as they are. If you decide to go with risers and don't like them, it is very easy to reverse them back. Nothing lost but money.

Follow this link: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2005/ST1300+A/HANDLEBAR+++TOP+BRIDGE/parts.html

The plate I'm talking about is #14 in the schematic. It mounts to #17. Risers mount between these two and move the mounting of the plate to the risers instead. The risers then mount to #17.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The nighthawk is different, but with my corbin seat, I wouldn't go as far to say "very different". I do have a slight lean forward for the nighthawk. Just not as much as the ST. I do like the fact that the handlebars are the 2" wider on the nighthawk. Doesn't seem like a lot, but I noticed it. I'd like to get the ST as close to the nighthawk as I can, but don't want to spend the $600 to get the fancy handlebars either. I'd like to try the Helibars Gen III first I believe. I thought I had read on here somewhere of a complaint of the aftermarket blocks that would make the handlebars narrower together. But I can't find that or confirm now......

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I thought I had read on here somewhere of a complaint of the aftermarket blocks that would make the handlebars narrower together. But I can't find that or confirm now......
The Helibar riser changes the angle of your wrists slightly. As I recall I measured the distance of the end of the grips before and after the install of my Gen 3 Helibar and the distance was the same in both instances.

Top Bottom