Looking for more comfortable handle bar grips

Hello again. A '05 1300 i'm looking at purchasing, as aweful uncomfortable grips. They are ribbed, and and thicker in the middle than the ends. I have some black foam grips with some chrome tips on my Nighthawk. I really like them and they are very comfortable to me. I'd like to take these ribbed grips off, and install some foam ones. Perhaps without the chrome tips though. I'd plan on installing a Vista Cruise at the same time.

I did a bit of research, and it sounds like these bars are a bit bigger than 7/8" ? Are these some type of specific bar? Can anyone lead me to some foam grips that will look good on this bike? Also, this bike currently has a throttle meister on it. I'm not a fan, seems dangerous and tedious to need to unscrew the bar end to lock or unlock the throttle. I have the vista cruise on my nighthawk, works awesome.

Thanks.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
this is what I just put on my ST1300. You will have to trim the length. I just slipped them over the oem grips using a little bit of soap and water. they slid right on. I did have to take off the bar end to make it easier. Grabon grip cover 1.25 dia.

https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-Grip-Cover-1-25in/dp/B000WJAH5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493522257&sr=8-1&keywords=Grab+On+Grips+Grip+Cover+-+Fits+From+1.25in.+to+1.45in.+OD+-+5in.L,+Color:+Black+MC402

enjoy!

Hmm ... every time I try to post a USA link to amazon, it get converted to a Canadian link on this site...

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - I use something similar called Grip Puppies - cheap and easy. Getting them on can be a struggle - I plunked them into a pot of boiling water and that seemed to make them pliable enough to get over the end of the stock Honda grip without ripping the foam.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #

SierraST

Ride-Pie-Repeat
Bike
2003 ST1300
+1

I just ordered replacement foam grips, been enjoying foam for years.

Grip Puppies & Grab Ons are the best I've used.

The Grip Puppies are slightly wider material thickness (unless you get the thicker 'comfort' series of the Grab Ons).

"Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in OD; 5-inch length; Black; Model MC402"

Take your time slipping/pushing/forcing them over the existing Honda grips and they won't tear.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A '05 1300 i'm looking at purchasing, as aweful uncomfortable grips. They are ribbed, and and thicker in the middle than the ends. I have some black foam grips with some chrome tips on my Nighthawk.
It sounds like that ST has BMW grips on it. I find those very comfortable but I've anode some Grab On Grip Covers.

You may have Grab On foam grips on your Nighthawk. Those are nice grips too. I prefer the black metal end caps but I don't think those are made anymore. If you get some for the ST you'll have to drill out the caps to allow for the bar end weights.

And the ST1300 bars are 7/8" give or take. There are two basic sizes of bars— 7/8" for most bikes and 1" for H-Ds and who knows what. Get grips for a 7/8" bike and you'll be fine. You probably already know one grip is usually has a slightly larger inner diameter for the throttle tube.

+1 on the Vista Cruise. Nighthawk— 650 or 700?

OP
OP
It sounds like that ST has BMW grips on it. I find those very comfortable but I've anode some Grab On Grip Covers.

You may have Grab On foam grips on your Nighthawk. Those are nice grips too. I prefer the black metal end caps but I don't think those are made anymore. If you get some for the ST you'll have to drill out the caps to allow for the bar end weights.

And the ST1300 bars are 7/8" give or take. There are two basic sizes of bars— 7/8" for most bikes and 1" for H-Ds and who knows what. Get grips for a 7/8" bike and you'll be fine. You probably already know one grip is usually has a slightly larger inner diameter for the throttle tube.

+1 on the Vista Cruise. Nighthawk— 650 or 700?
Thanks for the info. It's a '98 Nighthawk 750. Nice bike, but I just sold my cbr, and will sell the nighthawk as well to get the ST

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
go down to your local bicycle shop and get mountain bike foam grips.
I didn't use the mountain bike gripos but the cork tape for road bike bars. After 3+ years I think it's time to replace. The good thing about using the tape is you can make the bars a diameter comfortable to your hand. Pull it tight for a little thinner or wrap it very close on the overlap for making it thicker.

OP
OP
So I want to make a decision today on what i'm putting on for grips. I have it down to two different options. I'm looking for opinions on each. Currently, there are some aftermarket hard ribbed plastic grips, with a Throttle Meister lock/ends installed. The grips are not the BMW ones. I like the foam grips anyways.

1. Purchase the OE grips (which I have not been able to locate a p/n for on the parts fiche) and then slid the Grab on's over with the Vista Cruise.

2. Purchase these foam grips along with the vista cruise. http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/control-brakes/grips-universal/grab-on-comfort-road-grips?m=2528

I had these on my night hawk, and liked them alot but the chrome tips won't go with the bike. So i'm hoping the above will be just as comfortable. I can't seem to find any specs on the overall diameter however. http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/control-brakes/grips-universal/grab-on-deluxe-motorcycle-grips?m=2528

Anybody using option 2? Which would be thicker, option 1 or 2?

Thanks.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I believe Opt. 2 would be thicker but that's just eyeballing from distant memory.

The Grab-On Deluxe grips uncompressed are 1.64" in diameter with the metal ends being about 1.65-.66 dia. Opt 1 has been pretty common in motorcycle shops and they've always looked to skinny for my taste.

I'd go with Opt 2. A little chrome wouldn't hurt the look and their longer grips too. You'd have to drill out the end with a hole saw to accommodate the bar end weights.

The palm swell of the BMW grips are very comfortable for me and if I could find grip covers (maybe for H-Ds?) that didn't compress the foam I'd use some bicycle tape to build a little swell on top of the G-O Deluxe grips and cover it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My option 2 was the grab on comfort road grips. The deluxe version I was just making reference to that I had on the nighthawk.
Got it. In which case I'd bet money that the Opt. 2 Comfort Grips are thicker than stock Honda grips which are barely larger than the diameter of the bars. Even if the Comfort grips weren't larger they're foam and have far more cushioning than typical Honda grips (which usually have none).

I'm just partial to the Deluxe grips because of their larger diameter and foam construction. Prevents my arthritis from acting up.

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Foam grips are nice, but I find they wear out too fast. Or maybe it's just me and I'm rough on them. I've used gel grips on my Nighthawk, and plan on a set for the ST as well. Right now, the ST is my primary transport till the V gets running again, so no mods till that's done.

I'm guessing you're on the NightHawk forums as well?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm just partial to the Deluxe grips because of their larger diameter and foam construction.
Try foam bicycle bar tape over the stock grips. I did it about 4 years ago, pretty long life, and I'm just now looking at re-doing it using the other roll of tape that was in the kit.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Another option is tennis racket grip tape. Works well and is quite long lasting. Wrap to the thickness you prefer.

OP
OP
I really like the foam grips so I'll stick with those. I used those for 3 years with little to no wear . I prefer the diameter of the deluxe grips as well, just not the look for this bike. I'm trying to get specs for the Juhar foam grip in. Omparison to the comfort street grip. The comfort street grip is 1.4" in diameter, the grab on deluxe is 1.6".

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm a big fan of the Progrip 714. I run them on my St, dirt bike, and dual sport bike. Big diameter and tapered kind of like the BMW grip. Very good at absorbing vibes.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I installed the Grab-On Classic Road grips to replace the stock grips. They are what I used on my previous bike and are thicker and much more comfortable than the stock grips. However, they are more delicate and in one riding season I've already managed to chew a piece out of the collar of one grip somehow. I looked at the BMW grips, but they were about 7x the cost of the Grab-On grips so I figure I can afford to replace these every couple of years for the half hour's work and $10 cost.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
The Foam grip covers are a great help, and a cheap fix. I had them over the too-hard Kuryakyn grips the PO had put on my bike. I bought the ones from Amazon.

But, on my "other" bike, a 1980 CB900c, I've used these grips for several years. Very comfortable, I recommend them highly, $25 and free shipping:

https://www.randakks.com/grips.html

I just put a second pair on my ST. They fit just fine. (use the Hair Spray trick for easy installation)

Top Bottom