Unable to clear Error Codes

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I haven't been able to clear the error code from the throttle body sync and vacuum hose repairs I made a while ago. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm using a paper clip to cause the short between the brown and green/orange wires in the data link connector.

1) Short wires with paper clip
2) turn ignition key on
3) F1 light stops blinking and remains on
4) remove shorting wire
5) short wires again. I've held the short for about 15 secs and the light will not go off and start blinking again.

Previously I have tried turning the engine off with the kill switch an then turn key off. I've been told this resets the ECM. Hasn't worked for me.

FYI the error code is the map sensor that had the vacuum hoses removed during the throttle body sync.

Could really use some help here. Don't want to ride around with that thing blinking.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Make sure the kill switch is on and that you are shorting the correct wires. As a last resort you can disconnect the battery. Also I think if the ECM does not detect the error after a certain number of key start cycles, it will eventually clear itself.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Quick version, taken from the service manual
The quick version is what I followed. Or at least tried following. Also looked it up in the service manual which is same set but with the special tool.

In the guide the last two steps are:
-When the FI indicator lights, immediately short the brown and green/orange wires on the diagnostic connector.
-Verify that the FI indicator goes off and then begins blinking.

The FI indicator never turns off following the short. I've now shorted it for about a minute hoping it would.

I'm going to get some gas tomorrow and ride it around a bit to see what happens. You know the definition of insanity, keep repeating what hasn't worked. :confused:

I just replaced the battery, so disconnecting doesn't clear it. Maybe a few more start cycles will do it.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Ok, I have a way that seems to work great I just can't be positive because my bike actually has a problem. Please give it a shot and tell me if it works for you.
With a side Stand Down turn the bike on, start it, and let it run for a minute or two. Do not touch the throttle. really don't touch anything just let it idle for a minute. Does not matter if it is on the center stand or not, just that the kickstand is down.
Used the Killswitch to stop engine then turn key off.
That's it, just running the engine in a minute with the kickstand down then turn it off. Give it a few seconds and then start it up again. Let me know what happens, on my bike it takes much longer for the F1 light to come on after I do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Ok, I have a way that seems to work great I just can't be positive because my bike actually has a problem. Please give it a shot and tell me if it works for you.
With a side Stand Down turn the bike on, start it, and let it run for a minute or two. Do not touch the throttle. really don't touch anything just let it idle for a minute. Does not matter if it is on the center stand or not, just that the kickstand is down.
Used the Killswitch to stop engine then turn key off.
That's it, just running the engine in a minute with the kickstand down then turn it off. Give it a few seconds and then start it up again. Let me know what happens, on my bike it takes much longer for the F1 light to come on after I do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Already did something like that. I idled it till it warmed up plus 90 seconds on the kickstand; didn't touch the throttle. Used the kill switch and turned off the key. When I started it back up the flashing FI light came back.

Thanks for the tip though.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Perhaps stating the obvious, but is the problem resolved? The fault may still be present and the code just resets.

Already did something like that. I idled it till it warmed up plus 90 seconds on the kickstand; didn't touch the throttle. Used the kill switch and turned off the key. When I started it back up the flashing FI light came back.

Thanks for the tip though.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...And which code is it throwing? I'd wager that if it started after this work, it's a 1, 2 or 9. Forgetting to reconnect the IAT sensor at the top of the air box is a common mistake.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
Is it possible you bent one of the connectors in the IAT sensor or one of the other sensors that were disconnected to do a balance?

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Perhaps stating the obvious, but is the problem resolved? The fault may still be present and the code just resets.
I thought about this being the case. I'd appreciate ideas on possible failed parts.

Pros for the fault existing:
- the FI light continues and doesn't reset
- It's possible the Map sensor went out during the sync

Cons for the fault being false:
- before the throttle body sync the bike ran fine after I reinstalled the throttle bodies with no fault codes
- the fault was introduced when the vacuum hoses were disconnected for the sync
- the vacuum hoses were reattached and are 1 yr old silicone hoses [in excellent shape]

I want to exhaust the possibilities of resetting the ECM before I tear it apart and start replacing parts with trial and terror. I'm about there though. If I can't get it to reset today after adding a gallon to the gas tank and riding around and restarting several times I will order parts below and go back in.

Parts list for this case
-- flex hose for fuel tank
-- new map sensor
-- five way T
-- silicone vacuum hose on hand

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
And which code is it throwing
The code is a 1. Is the IAT sensor connected to the back top of the airbox? If so, the IAT sensor is connected. I can check the connector terminals of the sensor easily enough. I'll check before I go for gas.

If the IAT sensor throws a 1 code, why didn't it appear when I restarted the bike after I reinstalled the throttle bodies? The code didn't appear until I disconnected the vacuum hoses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had a new thought.

The FI light should should clear and go to blinking again, but it's not.

Here are the steps I'm following and results:
1) Short wires with paper clip
2) turn ignition key on while shorting wires
3) F1 light stops blinking and remains on
4) remove shorting wire
5) short wires again. I've held the short for about a minute and the light will not go off and start blinking again.

Shouldn't the FI light turn off in step 5, even with an IAT issue?? It doesn't turn off then start blinking. I would think It should, but I'm not sure. I would think the IAT issue would show up when I restarted the bike or following the FI light turning off. Unless told by someone who knows, I'm going to ride around a bit today while stopping and restarting a number of times.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The IAT sensor is code 9. Code 1 is the electrical side of the MAP sensor. (Here are the rest. Should've put that in the last post.)

--Mark
Thanks.

The three that could apply
0 Malfunction indicator light (MIL a.k.a. FI light) wiring Faulty ECM Runs normally
0 Short in service check connector Faulty ECM Runs normally, MIL stays lit
1 Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor or wiring Runs normally

The only way I know to check the ECM is through the shop. While I'm shorting the wires in step 5 above and following the wire short the MIL is staying lit. Short in service check connector or Faulty ECM; ouch? Sure hope it clears while starting and stopping today!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Make sure you didn't swap any sensor connectors. I swapped the blue throttle position sensor with another connector, either the cam position sensor or the evap purge tank / valve connector - can't remember exactly. Luckily I looked at my pre-disassembly photos and noticed the error before I tried the start it. I'm sure that would have thrown some codes?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Make sure you didn't swap any sensor connectors. I swapped the blue throttle position sensor with another connector, either the cam position sensor or the evap purge tank / valve connector - can't remember exactly. Luckily I looked at my pre-disassembly photos and noticed the error before I tried the start it. I'm sure that would have thrown some codes?
Along that note, the two connectors that seem to get mixed up are the Map Sensor and the Throttle Position connector (Marked as "other connector" in diagram).

ThrottleDiagram.jpg
Check to make sure you don't have them mixed up.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Along that note, the two connectors that seem to get mixed up are the Map Sensor and the Throttle Position connector (Marked as "other connector" in diagram).

ThrottleDiagram.jpg
Check to make sure you don't have them mixed up.
Maybe those were the ones I goofed up now that I think about it. In trying to squeeze the connectors under the throttle body to swap them, I ended up knocking the vacuum line off of the MAP sensor so I ended up with the dreaded #2 code and very rough running. I quickly figured out what I had done and replaced the hose. Upon re-starting the FI light was off but I'm sure the code persisted in the memory for a while. I didn't bother to clear it since fixing the error condition turned off the light. The more I think about it the more I think your error condition has not been remedied, the light will stay on in that case.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Rode the bike around today and put in a gal of gas. The FI light started to blink, but as I road around it would just stay on, no blinking. When I stopped and put the kickstand down it blinked. When I put the kickstand up and ride around again the light would stay on. I stopped it and restarted it about six times, no change. Additionally, the MPG was running low and at times, real low, but the bike was running like a top. Sounded good, idled well, accelerated like it should, no smells.

Thanks for the connection advice. But I don't think that's the problem, I'll double check just in case. Here's a disassembly photo of the connectors you're talking about (see below) the light blue connector is the other and the darker connector is the MAP connector. I used these photos for reassembly, but I don't remember making the connections now. When I first started the bike to warm it up for the sync there were no error codes! Then I detached the vacuum hoses and induced the error. That error has not gone away and now the FI light is staying on riding around.
MAP Senor and Other Connector.jpg

Here's a pic of the sync. The light is blinking at this point so and the pic caught the FI light off.
Finnally.jpg

Think I'll take it by the shop tomorrow and have them put it on a diagnostic tester. Yea, If the test doesn't tell me anything, I'm going back in there in a couple of days, got to take care of things around the house tomorrow. Thankfully, I didn't fill the tank and can remove it without draining it.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
...Here's a disassembly photo of the connectors you're talking about (see below) the light blue connector is the other and the darker connector is the MAP connector. I used these photos for reassembly, but I don't remember making the connections now. ...
MAP Senor and Other Connector.jpg
Yep, those are the ones!

Top Bottom