Clutch slipping after long term storage

Bike
2004 ST1300
Bleeding the clutch 5 times in a week..

I see one hole in the bottom of the master cylinder. I already took it apart and put it back together and that one hole is clear. What am I missing?

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Bleeding the clutch 5 times in a week..

I see one hole in the bottom of the master cylinder. I already took it apart and put it back together and that one hole is clear. What am I missing?
The other hole...
Open the master cylinder back up (make sure the housing is level) and you will notice a small round tower in the center, that holds a small silver spoon looking thing. This is a deflector that covers the small hole that you are asking about.
When you remove the deflector (just held in place by three legs and friction) you will see the other hole. Note; when you replace the deflector, make sure you replacing it correctly so there is a small gap between the base of the housing and the shield. It is possible to place them back in upside down (shield flat against the floor obstructing the flow) which would not be a good thing.
I find that using a children's aspirator filled with brake fluid the perfect tool to suck and blow through both holes to clear them out.

Bike
2004 ST1300
The other hole...
Open the master cylinder back up (make sure the housing is level) and you will notice a small round tower in the center, that holds a small silver spoon looking thing. This is a deflector that covers the small hole that you are asking about.
When you remove the deflector (just held in place by three legs and friction) you will see the other hole. Note; when you replace the deflector, make sure you replacing it correctly so there is a small gap between the base of the housing and the shield. It is possible to place them back in upside down (shield flat against the floor obstructing the flow) which would not be a good thing.
I find that using a children's aspirator filled with brake fluid the perfect tool to suck and blow through both holes to clear them out.
Thanks.. I'll check that tomorrow and hopefully will report the same success as well. What tool is the easiest to remove that shield with? Needle nose pliers?

Bill.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Forceps or very small needle nose pliers. Be very careful, as it bends easily. To put it back in, simply place it back in the recess and press down firmly with a dowel/chopstick/rod of some kind.
Let us know what you find.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks.. I'll check that tomorrow and hopefully will report the same success as well. What tool is the easiest to remove that shield with? Needle nose pliers?

Bill.
A paper towel while you prevailing the muck out of the master cylinder. ;)

It's just barely held in there by friction alone. It'll lift right out with your fingers or whatever else might touch it.

I am probably the most unlikely to solve any motorcycle problem guy on this forum. I am a snowbird who last weekend got on my bike after it had sat six months in my Florida garage. During an 18-mile run, the clutch was slipping progressively worse. I barely got it up my driveway and into the garage. Then I looked at this thread and found some true orifice expertise! I called a friend who was a longtime ST 1100 and 1300 owner and showed him the suggestions described herein. With a bent paper clip and a safety pin, within minutes we were able to behold the beauty of orifice number two! I just got back from a 40-mile test run and the clutch performed as admirably as in the previous 17,000 miles I have ridden since buying the 2004 bike almost six years ago. You folks have made me a very happy old man. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and wisdom.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Could one use an air compressor driven vacuum bleeder and draw (suck) out this hole while the fluid is being emptied and the shield is removed? as an added step to be sure. Like this.

Top Bottom