had my first flat on Sunday

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I've helped my brother-in-law with his bike twice now, but now it was my turn! I got a nice juicy piece of debris right in the middle of the rear at 65mph. It went down fairly quickly, but enough to slow to the side of a 2 lane country road. The pitch of the road side wouldn't let me put the kickstand down as the bike would tumble over. I tried walking it back to a driveway about 50 feet away, but with a flat tire she sure is a pig! It was like pushing a small car! A fellow from the church there came out and helped fortunately.

I tried my dynaplug kit but with 2 plugs it didn't hold and my canned air ran out. I tried a compressor that someone had, but it was still leaking. So I called my gal, and Irish who has two ST1100s and spare wheels. About 1-1/2 hours (and 40 miles) later she arrived with tools, a new wheel and water. 20 minutes later I was heading home - my day trip was aborted but none-the-worse considering.
Big thanks to Irish for the loaner wheel! I miss him on here, he's a great asset for riders!

So take aways from this, I need to try different tire strings as the dynaplugs failed on my first need. And I need to pack a compressor on the bike, or keep more compressed air canisters.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I purchased a Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12 volt Tire Inflator - Micro Pro Model online for about $50, very compact and says it will air my rear tire in 5 min. I played with it some to make sure it worked but did not deflate and test the time. Very small and comes in a nice case.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
tnman said:
I purchased a Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12 volt Tire Inflator - Micro Pro Model online for about $50, very compact and says it will air my rear tire in 5 min.
That looks to be a nice bit of kit. Does it fit under the seat in the tail? A friend keeps a Slime pump there but is on his second or third. The levered valve stem connecter has a tendency to self-destruct. Regardless of the manufacturer they all seem to use the same pot metal for that type of connector.

5min for inflation may be a little optimistic though. A review in Rider (along with some cogent thoughts from some guy named Bones) pegs the inflation time for a 160/60-18 deflated tire for 38psi@9min. Still beats hours@0psi. The zero-loss screw-on connector and that second valve stem for checking pressure during inflation are nice touches.

I've got an inflator (Pittsburg?) from Harbor Freight that's nice but not particularly compact. Well made but would have to live in a pannier and that eats up room.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Who would of thought....a New York Reload....for a motorcycle! Great thinking.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A friend keeps a Slime pump there but is on his second or third. The levered valve stem connecter has a tendency to self-destruct
I picked up a Slime pump at Wally place that has a screw on connector. Might want to look for that model if the levers are self-destructing. I think I gave a little over $9 for it.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
The pump I tried initially was a slime branded one, and had a nice screw on connector - much better than those pray and go lever types. I've also see where folks take the actual compressor out of the housing to make it smaller to pack on board.
I picked up a Slime pump at Wally place that has a screw on connector. Might want to look for that model if the levers are self-destructing. I think I gave a little over $9 for it.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
That looks to be a nice bit of kit. Does it fit under the seat in the tail? A friend keeps a Slime pump there but is on his second or third. The levered valve stem connecter has a tendency to self

I can not get the whole thing under the seat, it is close but cant get the seat to latch.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
Thanks! I'll check it out.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Slime 400-20 (Wallyworld) link, (Amazon), (Slime)

Has a built in gauge, an LED light and a screw-on connector. I've owned it for about 5 years now.
14 minutes for a DS tire.

10' power cord lets you plug it into your bike and air up a buddies, or plug it into the good samaritans car that stops to help you on the side of the road. :cool:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Where do you stow this? Will it fit under the seat or does it go in a bag?
Mine is under the seat normally, back section by the ECM. Currently in the saddlebag since I used it twice recently for a slow leak in my rear tire.

Top Bottom