Heat-Out base layer

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Anybody uses Heat-Out Base layer (tees, shorts, long johns...)? Opinion?

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I've tried them. They're "OK" for an economy set of gear. They feel pretty cheap to me. Worst thing about them is the oder! They smell like you spilled diesel on them. Multiple washings toned it down but did not eliminate it. I sold them and used the money toward better gear.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I've tried them. They're "OK" for an economy set of gear. They feel pretty cheap to me. Worst thing about them is the oder! They smell like you spilled diesel on them. Multiple washings toned it down but did not eliminate it. I sold them and used the money toward better gear.
What would you recommend?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
cotton cotton cotton.

You can not beat old fashion simplicity.
For all the reasons that cotton is bad when it is cold, is why it is so good when it is hot!
Nylon and polypro will KILL you when it is HOT. It bypasses your bodies natural cooling function.
Heat Exhaustion is a quick path to death.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can not beat old fashion simplicity.
For all the reasons that cotton is bad when it is cold, is why it is so good when it is hot!
Nylon and polypro will KILL you when it is HOT. It bypasses your bodies natural cooling function.
Heat Exhaustion is a quick path to death.
Well... I will have to disagree, well woven poly will wick water and still provide the cooling effect. Cotton won't give up the water so easily, you just stay wet.

Now badly woven ply is just even worse. I have a bicycle jersey from a retired officer that made some for a RAGBRAI ride we did to benefit Backstoppers. They SUCK! They are not thick but if it's cold out it's the warmest short sleeve jersey I own. I don;t know what thrid world country he bought them from. Egad!

For lounging comfort, cotton is where it's at. But for any physical activity, warm or cold... poly and/or wool!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Agree with T_C... if it's hot and I'm riding, I always wear the dryfit poly stuff. Much, much better than cotton, as long as you stay hydrated. With cotton, it stays wet. The poly pulls off the sweat and stays dry. Again, in any case, you need to hydrate properly.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
well woven poly will wick water and still provide the cooling effect
No it will not. This is exactly why it keeps you warm when it is cold. but you do not want to be warm when it is HOT.

Cotton won't give up the water so easily, you just stay wet
Yes when your skin is wet your body heat will conduct into the water that is evaporating. Making you cold.....

It it just simple physics that somehow false advertising has people convinced otherwise.

There was a guy that went trail riding at 9 am on a hot summer day, at 3 pm he got off the bike sat down and passed out. His brother could not wake him. The corner report was that he died of heat exhaustion. The sad thing was that he had two full canteens of water in his pack. He was wearing all poly clothes. He weighed 300 lbs. I helped carry him out.... Stay hydrated, drink lots of water, and augment your bodies cooling system with cotton clothes....

I know that cotton works so much better than poly in keeping me cool from my own experience.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
And dryfit keeps me cooler (more comfortable) than cotton. I've tried both many times. You stick with cotton and I'll stick with poly, we'll both be happy. ;)

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I know that cotton works so much better than poly in keeping me cool from my own experience.
And dryfit keeps me cooler (more comfortable) than cotton. I've tried both many times. You stick with cotton and I'll stick with poly, we'll both be happy. ;)
:plus1:
Yep.. I'm going with the later. If I'm stripping off a roof in the summer (last year actually), a poly shirt. Sipping lemonade, laying in a hammock under a shade tree reading a book, cotton is where it's at, unless it's so hot I'm sweating not moving.

You ever hear of a someone wearing synthetics getting a heat rash? Ok, it does happen but not too often. I had plenty of heat rash when we were kids and wearing denim outside at the farm. Now, when I provide support for bike rides and I hear of a rash it's usually from someone wearing cotton underwear under their bike shorts. Some time off the bike and a little education that the shorts are designed with underwear in them (no need to provide more) and they are riding happily ever after.

Cotton may not cause you to overheat when it's wet, but it doesn't feel much better then being dead. I've mowed my grass in a hot muggy Missouri summer, hiked with the scouts wearing all cotton, worked in a Louisiana shipyard with 90+% humidity in my younger years, cotton sucks! It just sucks and sucks up the water and won't release it. It has roughly a base moisture of 50% of the surrounding air. Cotton does not let water evaporate very quickly or easily.

Yep, we each have our choice of clothes. Plenty of options at the stores for everyone.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I love my LD Comfort tights and turtleneck. Ride all day, regardless of temperature, and still be comfortable. I've got two pairs of tights and one shirt. I wear them more than one day on a long trip. So much better than anything else I've tried over the years.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I love my LD Comfort tights and turtleneck. Ride all day, regardless of temperature, and still be comfortable. I've got two pairs of tights and one shirt. I wear them more than one day on a long trip. So much better than anything else I've tried over the years.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
You hit on one part of the equation that may be different.

You have Hot and Humid and I have Hot and Dry.

In a hot and dry environment the evaporation process is more efficient. It maybe why you do not feel the difference.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Good point on the humidity factor. Very likely the difference.

Top Bottom