Tip Over #1

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
After 98,837 miles I have finally joined the Tip Over Club on Tuesday of this week.

I had just pulled into the garage and was positioning the bike to back it in between two others. Deciding it would be easier to reposition if I were off the bike, I attempted to dismount without deploying the sidestand. This required swinging my 54 year-old leg over the Grasshopper rider backrest while holding the bike upright. The leg didn’t arc high enough and contacted thebackrest and began leaning the bike to the left. Physics took over and my 54 year-old arms weren’t strong enough to prevent the bike's slow, yet inventible contact with the garage floor. The bike rested on its left side with only the tip over guard touching down. At this point I should have called my 17 year-old son to come out of the house and assist. Instead, committing at least my second mistake of the day, I bent down and brought it up on my own. It’s been two days and my lower back is starting to feel normal again.

For the record, the motor was off and I was in full ATGATT when this incident occurred.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang! Sorry to hear you couldn't keep it up! :eek:4:

Congrats, you just joined an elite group of riders here (I still don't belong...yet ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If you hurt your back you did not lift it correctly. There are several videos that show you how to do it by using your leg muscles only.
You have to turn around and put your butt in the seat. Your hands only help keep you in the seat.....

Glad you are getting better....

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Dammit - don't you hate it when that happens?

My only tip-over was on a sandy shoulder of a road while attempting a u-turn. It was slow and embarrassing but no damage. I can imagine the garage episode being worse - so much more stuff nearby to bash into.

Top Bottom