STS - Smart Turn System on ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
No adjustments for the tweaker who wants the lights to blink a bit longer.
I've already been to the website and got the three pdfs.

There's no need for a tweeker to 'adjust the lights unless they want to annoy the crap out of other rider/drivers like my buddy's BMW turn signals.

There are four metrics used for determining when to turn the signals off and the idea is that when the turn is done the signals go off. That's all you really need. Turning movement over lights should be off. Another turn coming up then turn them back on.

The video could be more helpful but if the device can properly handle a lane change and roundabout the tweeker should leave well enough alone.

SMSW said:
The switch mod is nothing more than two pieces of foam that prevent the switch from latching
I saw that too. Simplicity. Nothing more is needed though if I do this and it works well I'd probably go in and defeat the locking mechanism permanently. As it is I often just hold the lever long enough to signal my move and then release it.

I did say previously the installation was a bit involved but it's entirely understandable. I'm not crazy about the two wire taps similar to Scotch-Locks and probably wouldn't use them. But do it right once and never worry about it unless the unit fails.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The signal switch mod is adding two pieces of foam to have the turn switch self-center. Activating the signal switch engages a latching circuit in the electronics which then takes over signal function and cancelling after the accelerometers and lean sensors take over.
The small main unit then is mounted vertically/horizontally (you find a spot, maybe make a small bracket, attach with velcro), so the lean angle sensors will be accurate. You cut two signal wires, then tap in to power and ground. It's a universal kit, not much to it. If you can find the connector from your left handlebar switch wiring, you might be able to find connectors and make up a "plug and play" harness. A friend of mine did that for his FJR (Gen2).

It does work well, even for lane changes where lean angles are not that big. If you have to pay full pop, it's not cheap. Got my kit on the introductory promotion last year, half price.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It does work well, even for lane changes where lean angles are not that big.
That's the advantage of using an accelerometer. It allows metrics to be used that just aren't available to more rudimentary typical motorcycle self-canceling systems. But like car turn signals I found them better than nothing.

Even at full pop if you're keeping your bike a long time the STS may be a really good investment. The dollar to user experience ratio isn't the same for everybody. But yes half-price turned out to be a good deal.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Like Ray, I got mine last year on the introductory deal of 99 Euros (including world-wide shipping) - but if it saves me from having a crash or worse....I simply cannot view it as expensive.

Anyhow - installation should be pretty soon and then I'll post a write-up.

Blinkity blink!

Last edited:

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
My 83 V65 had self cancelling signals. They had a solenoid in the control pod that when activated, put the switch back to center. It worked off of speed, and lean angle I believe. I got pretty good at fixing them when they went wonky, I repaired quite a few for people. I always wondered why Honda got away from the self cancelling signals. And it had a gear indicator too.....with 6 gears.
The Early Sabre and v45 v65 had electronic speed pickups so the self cancelling was distance based. I had the 82 Sabre v45 (750) 6 speed with overdrive ratio, self cancel signals, and the Gear indicator. You wonder what happened to all that marvelous stuff. I guess the number of problems that you describe with having to fix so many of them, points to part of the reason.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I solved my blinker left on problem by installing LED strip lights in the mirror housings. I couldn't seen the lights on the dash since the phone sits in front of them, but those LEDs in the mirrors get your attention.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Also based on lean angle, there was a sensor in the bottom of the triple tree tube, I fixed a lot of those systems over the years, normally the activating solenoid got weak, making the spring weaker helped with those.

Rxlane

ROBERT LANE
Hey Pete did you ever complete this as I been following this post and just got an STS and wanted to know any feedback you can provide us ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Rxlane said:
Hey Pete did you ever complete this as I been following this post and just got an STS and wanted to know any feedback you can provide us ?
I'll hitchhike on this post as I ordered one a few days ago and am awaiting delivery.

Bike
2005 GL1800
I fitted this to my ST1100 last month.
Theres a post describing the installation, one thing I did was remove the connectors and solder / shrink wrap all the joints.
I find the system to be excellent..it works as the manufacturer describes. :yes:

Don

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

Hi: I still haven't done it I ruefully admit. Life has intervened too many time this past summer. I guess this will be a job for the off-season.

Pete

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yeah it's a bit pricey but it's unlike anything I've seen— ever. The accelerometer and other tech elevate it to a level all its own.

The SD product is strictly a timer and needs two additional momentary on push buttons. You tap or tap and hold depending on how long you want the signal to flash. The site says push to cancel switches won't work with their product but the ST's switch might work if doctored same as for the STS product. For $29.95 it would be a maybe. Otherwise it's a pass for me.

STS has another product coming out— a deceleration warning light. The details haven't been posted yet but basically it flashes brake lights on deceleration without brake activation. When using the brakes the brake light(s) function normally. That's some nerd-tech that interests me. I'll need to see more details. But I like the idea for my Gary Rowe brake light.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
STS has another product coming out— a deceleration warning light. The details haven't been posted yet but basically it flashes brake lights on deceleration without brake activation. When using the brakes the brake light(s) function normally. That's some nerd-tech that interests me. I'll need to see more details. But I like the idea for my Gary Rowe brake light.
I saw this described. I think it would be useful for in-town, commuting and freeway use, but I'd want to turn it off in the canyons.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
wjbertrand said:
I saw this described. I think it would be useful for in-town, commuting and freeway use, but I'd want to turn it off in the canyons.
I like the concept of the product in general. But there's no video of the product and I'd really like to see it in action before I buy.

It would probably be simple to bypass it with a suitable switch. It could get annoying to anybody behind you when canyon carving.

There's usually nobody behind me. 'Hey Cisco...'

Rxlane

ROBERT LANE
I fitted this to my ST1100 last month.
Theres a post describing the installation, one thing I did was remove the connectors and solder / shrink wrap all the joints.
I find the system to be excellent..it works as the manufacturer describes. :yes:

Don
Hi Don,

Can you provide a link to your post? Much appreciated

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the safer-turn pricing is:

STS (Smart Turn Signal): 149€ (was 120€ for a very short time!)
SBM (Smart Brake Module): 99€ (Pre-order Price—72€ with shipping)

I'm trying to get details on the SBM as the site is lacking. The price on both items is a little high.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I think the safer-turn pricing is:

STS (Smart Turn Signal): 149€ (was 120€ for a very short time!)
SBM (Smart Brake Module): 99€ (Pre-order Price—72€ with shipping)

I'm trying to get details on the SBM as the site is lacking. The price on both items is a little high.
I think the 99€ price may still apply. This is the email I received from the STS folks:
"Hi,

It's a pleasure to inform you that STS - the most reliable self-cancelling turn signal add-on - is compatible with your motorcycle.

My name is Mark, from personal assistance department and I am here at your disposal for any question or help you might need.

I would like to inform you that there are less than 50 units left in this batch and then we are out of stock. Now the good news is that this also the reason why we can offer you 33% discount. You will get Smart Turn System for 99€ (118$) instead of the full price 149€ (178$).

You can claim your discount at www.safer-turn.com/your-cart with a coupon code BATCH33 to get your 50€ off full price and free worldwide shipping. Apply coupon code into "coupon code" field first, fill in the other fields, press order button and I will take care of the rest.

You have a 60 days money back guarantee and two years warranty. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Huh. I'm going to check that out and see if I can get a price adjustment! I'm guessing no.

Also the warranty seems different in that email.

email sent. The price difference is only 20€ but that's a tank of gas and a burger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom