STS - Smart Turn System on ST1300

Rxlane

ROBERT LANE
So I just got my sts from Slovenia and it took 3 weeks to arrive, what the heck talk about snail mail.
Any way if some has some good tips on how to take of the plastic from the ST1300 and where would I find the connector for the turn signal switch once you follow the cable, it would be really helpful as I will document this and provide the photos on a step by step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
OK Pete et all- time for a long term satisfaction and durability update report on this STS.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I ride a lot with someone who has had multiple BMW's and Harley's which all had self-cancelling turn signals. Most of the time they work just fine because we don't ride much in city environments- only to get through or to get out of them. What I have noticed is that in city environments where the next intersection can be only a very short distance away they take to long to cancel for my liking. After completing a turn he often has gone through at least one other intersection , not to mention passed multiple commercial parking lot entrances, before the turn signal cancels. Other drivers seeing his still active turn signal might think that he is turning and might pull out in front of him. I don't know if the time interval is related to speed but it seems to me that going at a slow speed after making a turn, as you would do in heavier city traffic, the turn signal takes longer to cancel.

I am curious as to how well does the STS handle these close quarter situations.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My 'Wing buddy has a BMW 1200GS something. Both bikes have self cancelling turn signals. The 'Wing seems really good at canceling in a timely manner. The BMW not so much. I talked to a BMW tech Klaus and the time metric is set to the shortest time from the factory and it's too long 99% of the time. It apparently thinks you'll be sitting at red lights for awhile the turn is a long 720º. There may be an additional metric but time is part of it and it's never short than about 20+ seconds.

I bet the STS is much more accurate. The videos aren't well done but the STS seems to work well. Somebody mentioned mounting the sensor as high as possible on the bike. This should give it more travel through when leaning and more input on the accelerometer. That could make a difference on slow turns where the bike remains more upright.

There's also the issue of wiring it. The instructions don't seem to work for the ST and a workaround had to be found. I don't know that the manufacturer provided updated instructions.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
I’m very happy with them. They have never failed and work so well that I forget that they aren’t stock.
About the same here. As was already known, sometimes fails to cancel on gentle lane changes.

Having said that, mine is mounted mid-frame with a custom disconnect harness, There are threads here that have resolved the pinout issue.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
About the same here. As was already known, sometimes fails to cancel on gentle lane changes.

Having said that, mine is mounted mid-frame with a custom disconnect harness, There are threads here that have resolved the pinout issue.
Oooohhhh - I'd sure like to see a photo of that custom connect harness (I have never been a fan of those quick-connect crimp-on thingies) and your installation position and I would love to know which threads those are...

I am really hoping to get to this installation sometime this winter.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I , too , never use the quick-connect , crimp-on thingies , - been using what I learned in High School Electronics class , so many years ago : wind & reverse wind wires together , then solder , then electrical tape enough to give wires some strain relief , since then , a few years back I now add super glue to tape end to prevent tape from un-sticking & un-raveling . I never have had wire joints breaking using that method , for about half a century now .

Have seen so many other's wiring jobs , using the various crimp connectors , break at the crimp and then pull apart so easily .

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I'm pretty happy with the STS installed on my Super Tenere. Works flawlessly when making turns but only about 50/50 when making lane changes on the freeway. The good thing is it will time out in 20-30 seconds in that case. The biggest problem is that it's so much fun to watch it work I never forget anymore.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am embarrassed to admit that I have yet installed the system on my bike.
Just back from a fantastic 4,250km trip to OH, TN, KY, SC, NC, VA, WV,,, and along the way you have a lot of time to think about important stuff like what farkles have worked well for you. And,,, at the top of my list for this year,, is the STS. It works so well,, that I often forget that it is there. Sure,,, if you make a super smooth lane change, on your already super smooth ST,,, it is not going to cancel that. But all the rest, including definite lane changes, it works just the way it should. I would not want to be without it now. Be sure to read all the installation posts,,, as we ST riders incorporated some improvements (regarding the 4 ways). Also,, it is imperative that the operation of your stock turn signal switch be in tip top shape (mine was not,,, and I tore it down and rebuilt it very carefully). Install it if you have it,,, you won't be sorry,, CAt'

Bike
2004 ST1300
Just an FYI, I just saw that Safer Turn is offering the STS at 20% off with free expedited shipping with the code EXPEDITED20. I can't seem to master cancelling my signals, so $79 doesn't seem too terrible.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can't seem to master cancelling my signals, so $79 doesn't seem too terrible.
Apparently mastering manual turn signals is a hallmark of the superior motorcyclist. But my cars have an self-cancelling turn signals and my V65 Saber had them as well and I liked them a lot.

Most motorcycle self canceling signals are a compromise and the STS looks to be a superior system. Apparently the installation instructions don't cover keeping the ST's hazard flash functionality and an extra step or two is needed.

Info is here somewhere but you might want to ask for help here when it's time to install. I emailed STS about instructions and their response was that somebody here has already worked that out so check with them. Not inspiring customer service but still looks like a great product.

One hint I've seen here - install the module as high as possible while keeping with the mounting requirements. Doing so affords the most left/right swing when turning and gives the accelerometer more 'data' to work with. Returning to vertical is what cancels the indicators. (A timer steps in if the movement isn't enough to kill them.)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
So I always laugh when someone says they ALWAYS remember to cancel their signals, how do you know when you've forgotten? I used to say things like that but there's GoPro evidence out there that would contradict my statement....:oops:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So I always laugh when someone says they ALWAYS remember to cancel their signals, how do you know when you've forgotten? I used to say things like that but there's GoPro evidence out there that would contradict my statement....:oops:
I never forget to cancel them... they're easy to spot when I stop. ;)

Bike
2004 ST1300
I finally got the STS installed and am seeing a couple issues. First, the hazard lights do not work. Second, there's a delay the first time I use a signal. I have to hold the switch on for around 30 seconds the first time I use the signal after turning the bike on and then it will start flashing. After that there may be a few second delay the next time, but it finally becomes instantaneous after a few signals. Has anyone else experienced that? Note that I have not had the bike on the road yet, this is just testing in the garage, although I don't see why that would make a difference.

Top Bottom