STS - Smart Turn System on ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The STS signal cancel works flawlessly and cancels even on a smooth lane change.
Good to hear you got it sorted. Their video shows the STS working well in lane changes. Where did you mount the module? Did you get the hazards working properly?

Bike
ST 1300
I just received my STS and I am having an issue. The instructions note that after installing the 12V, grd, green, yellow, and blue wires to turn on the ignition and I should get one or two flashes, If not, do not proceed with the installation. I have not gotten any flashes. There are no instructions as to what to do if there are no flashes. I have checked connections for correct wiring, continuity, 12V, and grd. I have e-mailed them but was hoping some here could help while I am waiting for a response. It is a 2003 ST 1300. Turn signals work with OEM connections.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I just received my STS and I am having an issue. The instructions note that after installing the 12V, grd, green, yellow, and blue wires to turn on the ignition and I should get one or two flashes, If not, do not proceed with the installation. I have not gotten any flashes. There are no instructions as to what to do if there are no flashes. I have checked connections for correct wiring, continuity, 12V, and grd. I have e-mailed them but was hoping some here could help while I am waiting for a response. It is a 2003 ST 1300. Turn signals work with OEM connections.
I seem to recall having a similar issue initially, but I can't remember what the solution was. It may have just been something that worked itself out or was resolved by a double-check of the connections.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Assuming that your wiring has been done the same as we have done,,,, I suspect that your turn signal switch needs to be rebuilt. My installation is still working great. But initially,, I had a lot of trouble because my switch, an '04, was not clean and lubed enough to switch the sts properly. But all that has been written up in the preceding posts of this thread. If you have already gone through this rebuild,,, then it is a wiring issue,,, which could be power supply or ground or turn signal splices. My unit does blink both signal indicators on power up. Stick with it,,, and I am sure you will sort it out,,, cheers,, CAt'

Bike
ST 1300
Thanks. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned/ lubed it. All the wires have be matched with the chart on the instructions and I have confirmed a good ground and 12v source. I am assuming the turn signals should flash upon powering up. I have not completed the installation since the instructions said to stop if the lights did not flash. So....I guess I will wait to hear from them. Strange that they tell you to stop with the installation, but don’t tell you what to do next.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
All the wires have be matched with the chart on the instructions
There was something in the past about the instructions not allowing for the 4-way hazard flasher to work with the STS installed. IIRC they hadn't updated the instructions to cover it. I don't know if any of that has changed.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Okay,,, talk to Mark at STS then. He was pretty good at tech support when we were sorting out our installs. keep us posted,,, as those of us with installs are eager to help,,, cheers,, CAt'

Bike
ST 1300
I have already sent him an e-mail. Guess it will be a couple of days before I hear from him. I put the bike back together and went for a ride. All is back to normal.

Bike
ST 1300
Ok, finally heard from Mark. Said that if no click something got blown. He is sending me another one. I guess i will be waiting another two to three weeks to find out if it works. Thanks for everyones help.

Bike
ST 1300
Mark, sent me a replacement unit, good people to deal with. Again, same issue. Went by the book on install. Double checked everything. Took turn signal switch apart and cleaned/lubed. Still not functioning. Without the unit, everything works fine. At this point I do not believe it is the unit. The only thing left that I can think of is that I have installed LED bulbs and resistors at all four turn signal points. Although I am not sure I understand why it will not work with them. It would seem that the STS is just a switching device. So, before I give up, I thought i would ask again.20200705_094517_resized.jpg20200705_102151_resized.jpg20200705_102223_resized.jpg20200705_102619_resized.jpg20200705_094524_resized.jpg20200705_132207_resized.jpg

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Make sure to confirm the wire colors in STS's instructions vs. your bike with a volt meter. The colors were wrong in the directions for my Yamaha Super T. The longest part of the installation was testing to identify the correct wires.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
I've an STS system installed with LED signals, and an LED specific turn relay. As others had found, the unit functions as designed (including hazards once the instructions are reworked to join two wires together).

- Here is the link to my posting of the pinout I used: STS Wiring Harness Pinout
- DavidR8's contribution, about connecting the Pink and Grey wires together: Tie the Pink and Grey together
- MaxPete's Notes and Schematic: MAXpete Notes and Schematic
- My own response: Connecting two wires to single

In my case, I made a removable harness to connect the STS to the existing harness (I didn't want to cut and splice the original), and then modified it to join the wiring. Before the mod, signals, but no hazards; after, full and normal operation. Cannot seem to immediately find the modification pictures...

I've attached the wiring schematics I made at the time, but be warned: I don't remember if these were finalized or not (edit: they aren't) so carefully consult with a heavy case of skepticism (I intended to post them, and like so many other things, I never got back to it...)

Attachments

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I thought there was a mistake in the installation instructions for the 1300 not counting the lack of instruction for the 4-way hazards. Maybe it got corrected.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I did not do the hazard splice, so if I have a free hour in the next few days maybe I'll pull the cowl and confirm how mine is wired and do the hazards while I'm in there.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Grounded to chassis, 12v switched from ignition switch.
I used the side maker light wire (not the turn signal flasher light wire!) for the 12V power source. It is active whenever the key is switched on. I used the ground wire from the same turn signal. I also used some of those new low temp, heat shrink solder connectors for a permanent, secure connection. For the turn signal switch, I found that the larger “pucks” worked best.
For the mounting location for the sensor, I found that there is room to mount it on the inboard side of the left side, lockable “pocket”. I used Velcro and zip ties to mount it level.
I am still looking for the solution to the hazard lights. I consider this an inconvenience rather than a safety issue. Still, if there is an easy fix, I would like to restore the capability.
Can anyone provide me a link to the thread that has the solution to make the hazards work?

Top Bottom