Mea Culpa

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Yesterday I was leaving the island via the 8 mile long tunnel. The speedtraps are set up to catch cars, not bikes, so normally a little inspired driving is safe.
Yesterday as I entered the tunnel, I got behind 2 busses....lots of exhaust and buffeting. Thought it was safe to pass, and did, and as I left the tunnel, blue and red lights.
LEO patrol in a civil car.....:nanner1::nanner1:
101 km/h in a 80 zone.
Fine equals $700.......:eek::eek::eek: And I got 3 points ( 8 points will lose the license for 6 months).

At some point I actual held 130km/h, so I suppose it could be worse....
I got what I deserved, and it was all my own fault, but it hurts...:doh1: Might have felt better to blame someone.....maybe Honda for engineering these highspeed monsters?

Anyway, paid the fine this morning, and now I'm off for another fjord-adventure.:run1::run1::run1:

There, it helped to vent....
Have fun!
Stu

TPadden

Tom Padden
Try and find something else to concentrate on for the next few months.
Or only ride in Texas for the next couple months. Most speed limits 120-135 kph :D!

Many European (Germany excepted) and Canadian speed limits are Draconian. :)

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ouch! How many times havd you exceeded the speed limit in the tunnel? So spread the payment out as a toll for each of the times. ;) The points, that just sucks but hopefully they don't impact your insurance rates.

Like you say, smile and move on. More important things to enjoy! :)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So sorry, I feel your pain. Got three last fall....only one on the ST.......glad I don't live in Norway..!:)

Bike
VStrom 650
That hurts.
And re remarks on Germany it's getting harder and harder to find derestricted roads there as well.
Ride safe and don't get caught.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
$700 and 3 points for 63 in a 50? Geezalou

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Ouch! How many times havd you exceeded the speed limit in the tunnel? So spread the payment out as a toll for each of the times. ;) The points, that just sucks but hopefully they don't impact your insurance rates.

Like you say, smile and move on. More important things to enjoy! :)
LOL! I'm down to 7 bucks each passing...
Insurance not afflicted.

Re: Mea Culpa
I hate riding with points 'over my head'. Try and find something else to concentrate on for the next few months.
Jim
Points will be discarded in 3 years...
Hope the fjords are beautiful!
They are.
DSC06005.jpgDSC06013.jpgDSC06030.jpg

Any picture including a motorcycle will be a better picture. These are from todays ride.

$700 and 3 points for 63 in a 50? Geezalou
Bygones. Water under the bridge etc.. My fridge contains life support while my wife is away this weekend. What happens on the bike stays on the bike...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thought it was safe to pass, and did,
So was it unsafe to pass or just 'unsafe' because of your speed?

TPadden said:
Many European (Germany excepted) and Canadian speed limits are Draconian
I'm a big fan of Draconian traffic enforcement. It's probably a big part of why European drivers are often considered better than US drivers. Here we don't take driving or traffic enforcement seriously enough.

the Ferret said:
$700 and 3 points for 63 in a 50?
I'm wondering if that was just for the speed or if passing in the tunnel was illegal. We've had a few crashes in tunnels around here with a couple resulting in fatals due to the inability to get to the drivers in time and fires. So maybe Norway takes 13mph over in a tunnel seriously.

In CA it took 8 years before the state got serious about phones/texting. Even so I still see people on their phone all the time. $700 and three points would go a long way to reducing that. I don't think it's wide spread knowledge that it's no longer a non-moving violation and small fine. Yeah I'm down with Draconian.

We all know the rules and if we choose to ignore them we're fair game. $700 buys a lot of petrol and pie. Did/will the three points affect your insurance?

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
So was it unsafe to pass or just 'unsafe' because of your speed?

I'm a big fan of Draconian traffic enforcement. It's probably a big part of why European drivers are often considered better than US drivers. Here we don't take driving or traffic enforcement seriously enough.

I'm wondering if that was just for the speed or if passing in the tunnel was illegal. We've had a few crashes in tunnels around here with a couple resulting in fatals due to the inability to get to the drivers in time and fires. So maybe Norway takes 13mph over in a tunnel seriously.

In CA it took 8 years before the state got serious about phones/texting. Even so I still see people on their phone all the time. $700 and three points would go a long way to reducing that. I don't think it's wide spread knowledge that it's no longer a non-moving violation and small fine. Yeah I'm down with Draconian.

We all know the rules and if we choose to ignore them we're fair game. $700 buys a lot of petrol and pie. Did/will the three points affect your insurance?

The tunnel has two lanes in that direction, and there were no vehicles in the "fast" lane, so safe to pass meant speedwise as well.

The fine was for speeding only. If the passing was considered dangerous it would be another $200 and yet another 3 points....

No affect on my insurance, and for that I'm grateful. +1 on the Draconian.

Stu

Top Bottom